Rumor: Trade Deadline- What to Do?? Deals..Deals...Deals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Am I the only one who believes Gardiner is Gus, but on a much better team? No thank you.

Gardiner is a meme at this point. He’s a 40 point D-man on any team. Yeah, he needs some work on his defense. But he’s the only D out there. If there were other options, I’d probably prefer those. Ideally, I would do as Hawkaholic alluded to, nothing. Just develop our young guys and bring in a few short term placeholders. I don’t think we are ready to go big game fishing with this D.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Gardiner is a meme at this point. He’s a 40 point D-man on any team. Yeah, he needs some work on his defense. But he’s the only D out there. If there were other options, I’d probably prefer those. Ideally, I would do as Hawkaholic alluded to, nothing. Just develop out young guys and bring in a few short term placeholders. I don’t think we are ready to go big game fishing with this D.

Which is pretty much exactly what Gus is. But he's not going to cost you 7×7 to acquire.

Last two seasons Gus is 65GP, 10G, 19A. Not a huge sample size, but that's 13G 24A over 82 games. On a much worse team.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Certain to be gone:
Kruger for a 3rd or 4th. I know he hasn't been great, but contenders will have interest in a 4th line checker who can win a faceoff, has playoff experience, and won't come with much cap issues.

Rutta for a 2nd or 3rd. Teams always need depth at RHD and plenty of organizations are going to remember the steal that Kempny was for Washington last year and think Rutta might be in a similar situation.

Possibly gone at the deadline:
Keith will be gone only if he wants to get out of the sinking ship; no one hates losing more than him. But if he does want out and to go to a contender, a 1st, a good young roster player with upside, and a B level prospect should be close to what he's worth.

Murphy might be gone if Keith remains. A 1st rounder and a little extra might be enough to fetch him, but his value could fluctuate a lot now that he's back. If he kills it the next several months, his value will only increase.

Gustafsson could be gone for a 2nd. Not sure Bowman wants multiple veteran defensemen gone next year, but if Murphy and Keith stay, Gus has to be gone to make room for a kid. Five years ago, a player of Gustafsson impact might bring back a late 1st, but teams have caught on to not giving up a ton for a deadline deal. Still, there's always a chance given his cap hit for this year and next.

Anisimov's value is hard to guess. He's still a decent player, but his cap hit isn't cheap, he's on the wrong side of 30, and he's signed for two more years past this season. Hawks can get value for him, but they'd need to retain some salary or take back some salary. Hard to say what he's really worth not knowing how the money issue will work out.

Hayden might also be on the chopping block. Easier to replace a bottom 6 winger than anyone else and a team might pay a premium for a physical presence for a potential playoff run. Like Anisimov, it's hard to gauge his value. Plus Barratt is a similar type of player that could make the team next year.

Saad might also be looked at for a trade. He's been good since a few games before Q's exit and should command a 1st and a B level prospect. Be crappy to lose him again, but he has only 2 years past this season before becoming a UFA and Bowman seems to be quietly eyeing Panarin in the offseason, which would give the Hawks two top six LWs (Bread and Brinksy) and I think it's a rule that Saad and Panarin can't play on the same team. Oh, and a top 5 pick may mean that the Hawks will have enough offensive forwards (outside of the big UFA signing) that'll make Saader even more expendable.

Gun to head, I'd say Kruger, Rutta, Murphy, Saad, and Hayden get traded. Anisimov stays for this season and next in an attempt to lure Bread back to Chicago (can't take Bread's one Russian buddy off the team and still expect him to come back). Keith stays because he cares about the team, despite his anger over where they are at the current moment. Gus stays because Colltion likes him and Bowman will not want too many youngsters next season (plus if things go south, he can be traded at next years' deadline).

Hawks trade the obvious soon to be UFA's in Kruger and Rutta. They also trade Murphy because with Jokiharju and Slowbrook, the team only has one slot on the right side and Mitchell and Boqvist are chomping at the bits. Bowman pulls a Hartman and trades a young Bottom 6 guy with grit to a team that'll overpay; Hawks get a 2nd for the kid. And like I said with Saad earlier, Panarin (or even Stone or Dzingel) makes him expendable and frees up a bit of cap space while helping to refill the organizational depth a bit from what he'd return.

The Hawks get 2 1st round picks (Saad and Murphy), a 2nd (Hayden), a 3rd (Rutta) a 4th (Kruger), and some prospects and youngsters. Look for the organization to continue it's recent philosophy of picking the best overall player in the draft, hoping that they can luck out and find a gamebreaker to add to Boqvist and possibly Hughes/Kakko.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Certain to be gone:
Kruger for a 3rd or 4th. I know he hasn't been great, but contenders will have interest in a 4th line checker who can win a faceoff, has playoff experience, and won't come with much cap issues.

Rutta for a 2nd or 3rd. Teams always need depth at RHD and plenty of organizations are going to remember the steal that Kempny was for Washington last year and think Rutta might be in a similar situation.

Possibly gone at the deadline:
Keith will be gone only if he wants to get out of the sinking ship; no one hates losing more than him. But if he does want out and to go to a contender, a 1st, a good young roster player with upside, and a B level prospect should be close to what he's worth.

Murphy might be gone if Keith remains. A 1st rounder and a little extra might be enough to fetch him, but his value could fluctuate a lot now that he's back. If he kills it the next several months, his value will only increase.

Gustafsson could be gone for a 2nd. Not sure Bowman wants multiple veteran defensemen gone next year, but if Murphy and Keith stay, Gus has to be gone to make room for a kid. Five years ago, a player of Gustafsson impact might bring back a late 1st, but teams have caught on to not giving up a ton for a deadline deal. Still, there's always a chance given his cap hit for this year and next.

Anisimov's value is hard to guess. He's still a decent player, but his cap hit isn't cheap, he's on the wrong side of 30, and he's signed for two more years past this season. Hawks can get value for him, but they'd need to retain some salary or take back some salary. Hard to say what he's really worth not knowing how the money issue will work out.

Hayden might also be on the chopping block. Easier to replace a bottom 6 winger than anyone else and a team might pay a premium for a physical presence for a potential playoff run. Like Anisimov, it's hard to gauge his value. Plus Barratt is a similar type of player that could make the team next year.

Saad might also be looked at for a trade. He's been good since a few games before Q's exit and should command a 1st and a B level prospect. Be crappy to lose him again, but he has only 2 years past this season before becoming a UFA and Bowman seems to be quietly eyeing Panarin in the offseason, which would give the Hawks two top six LWs (Bread and Brinksy) and I think it's a rule that Saad and Panarin can't play on the same team. Oh, and a top 5 pick may mean that the Hawks will have enough offensive forwards (outside of the big UFA signing) that'll make Saader even more expendable.

Gun to head, I'd say Kruger, Rutta, Murphy, Saad, and Hayden get traded. Anisimov stays for this season and next in an attempt to lure Bread back to Chicago (can't take Bread's one Russian buddy off the team and still expect him to come back). Keith stays because he cares about the team, despite his anger over where they are at the current moment. Gus stays because Colltion likes him and Bowman will not want too many youngsters next season (plus if things go south, he can be traded at next years' deadline).

Hawks trade the obvious soon to be UFA's in Kruger and Rutta. They also trade Murphy because with Jokiharju and Slowbrook, the team only has one slot on the right side and Mitchell and Boqvist are chomping at the bits. Bowman pulls a Hartman and trades a young Bottom 6 guy with grit to a team that'll overpay; Hawks get a 2nd for the kid. And like I said with Saad earlier, Panarin (or even Stone or Dzingel) makes him expendable and frees up a bit of cap space while helping to refill the organizational depth a bit from what he'd return.

The Hawks get 2 1st round picks (Saad and Murphy), a 2nd (Hayden), a 3rd (Rutta) a 4th (Kruger), and some prospects and youngsters. Look for the organization to continue it's recent philosophy of picking the best overall player in the draft, hoping that they can luck out and find a gamebreaker to add to Boqvist and possibly Hughes/Kakko.

If Bowman pulls these deals off, he should be in the running for GM of the year. Maybe I am undervaluing our guys but a 1st for Murphy and a 2nd for Gus?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-10_23-8-8.gif
    upload_2018-12-10_23-8-8.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If Bowman pulls these deals off, he should be in the running for GM of the year. Maybe I am undervaluing our guys but a 1st for Murphy and a 2nd for Gus?

Well, Kempny got a 3rd last year and while he proved to be worth waaaaayyyyy more than that, dude barely played here. Gus has shown a lot more this year than Kempny did last year, and is signed for another season at a cap hit that can be pretty much buried if he weren't to turn out for any reason.

And Murphy is a 25yo top 4 physical RHD signed for several more seasons for less than $4m. A first for that type of player is about on par with what you'd expect. Maybe it's a prospect or two instead of a pick, maybe there is some cap hit coming the other way, I don't know. But I value him at about a late 1st, and if he's traded at the deadline (where players cost more than any other time of year) than I expect he'll at least get around that value.

The only players I might be overvaluing right now is Kruger and Hayden. Peter Regin, who was a very mediocre player who's only notoriety here was he wasn't 2014 Handzus levels of bad, cost us a 4th rounder back in the day. Team's that are tight against the cap weren't ever going to trade for Kruger this past offseason or pick him up on waivers, but his cap hit will be damn near nothing by the TD and he's not signed on for anymore seasons so it's not like it'd hurt the team in anyway other than losing out on a middle round pick that likely wouldn't turn into an NHL player.

Hayden is also probably not worth a 2nd, but he's young and teams like to overpay at the deadline, especially for young guys. If Hartman's worth a 1st and Edjsell, I could see a team giving up a 2nd for Hayden, but it's not the most likely of my predictions.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If anyone is willing to take Keith, Seabrook, Anisimov, and Manning ... I'd do it in a heart beat as long as the assets we have to give up isn't too much.

Lose for Hughes and keep playing Murphy, Forsling, Joker, and Gus. What do we have to lose at this point?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well, Kempny got a 3rd last year and while he proved to be worth waaaaayyyyy more than that, dude barely played here. Gus has shown a lot more this year than Kempny did last year, and is signed for another season at a cap hit that can be pretty much buried if he weren't to turn out for any reason.

And Murphy is a 25yo top 4 physical RHD signed for several more seasons for less than $4m. A first for that type of player is about on par with what you'd expect. Maybe it's a prospect or two instead of a pick, maybe there is some cap hit coming the other way, I don't know. But I value him at about a late 1st, and if he's traded at the deadline (where players cost more than any other time of year) than I expect he'll at least get around that value.

The only players I might be overvaluing right now is Kruger and Hayden. Peter Regin, who was a very mediocre player who's only notoriety here was he wasn't 2014 Handzus levels of bad, cost us a 4th rounder back in the day. Team's that are tight against the cap weren't ever going to trade for Kruger this past offseason or pick him up on waivers, but his cap hit will be damn near nothing by the TD and he's not signed on for anymore seasons so it's not like it'd hurt the team in anyway other than losing out on a middle round pick that likely wouldn't turn into an NHL player.

Hayden is also probably not worth a 2nd, but he's young and teams like to overpay at the deadline, especially for young guys. If Hartman's worth a 1st and Edjsell, I could see a team giving up a 2nd for Hayden, but it's not the most likely of my predictions.

We should absolutely move forward with these deals. What you’ve proposed essentially gives us another full slate of picks and dramatically alters the future of this franchise and that’s even without moving AA or Crow. I’m all for it and you make a good case for the valuations but I’ll believe it when I see it. These moves would be f***ing huge for us.

Like you said, we all knew damn well Kempny was worth a 2nd and we didn’t even get a conditional one on the condition of them winning the Cup and him being a huge part of it which is exactly what occurred.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Crow has 1 year left. Keith should retire a Hawk.

Why are they "getting rid of" Keith and Crow? That's not a shakeup. That's a gutting. Keith is a guy you want here mentoring the young defensemen.

You think the team is hard to watch now, how do you think they would look with two of their leaders shipped out and replaced with AHL fodder?

No.
Keith is locker room posion. It's documented. Kevin told me, lol.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Crow has 1 year left. Keith should retire a Hawk.

Why are they "getting rid of" Keith and Crow? That's not a shakeup. That's a gutting. Keith is a guy you want here mentoring the young defensemen.

You think the team is hard to watch now, how do you think they would look with two of their leaders shipped out and replaced with AHL fodder?

No.
Why do we need both Seabrook and Keith around? Can't Seabrook do the mentoring? We can't move Seabrook's contract so moving Keith is the only option ... if there is a team willing to eat his deal.

As for Crow ... you're right. He only has 1 more year left. No big deal.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Why do we need both Seabrook and Keith around? Can't Seabrook do the mentoring? We can't move Seabrook's contract so moving Keith is the only option ... if there is a team willing to eat his deal.

As for Crow ... you're right. He only has 1 more year left. No big deal.
I honestly believe you don’t need either of them at this point, trade Keith and tell Seabs to go sit at home. But if you’re keeping one, I’d rather Keith cause he can still play. But it’ll be Seabs cause he’s unmoveable.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Seab's contract is going nowhere. Let's be realistic. As mentioned, you can keep him as a 7thD that acts as a mentor. We already know Seabs is a good leader and Boqvist has already called him his "daddy". But we don't need 2 veteran figures to mentor young guys and Keith likely doesn't interact with the young guys anyway. Keith has value to a contender. Move him at the deadline.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I honestly believe you don’t need either of them at this point, trade Keith and tell Seabs to go sit at home. But if you’re keeping one, I’d rather Keith cause he can still play. But it’ll be Seabs cause he’s unmoveable.
IMO, Keith can still play. Unfortunately, that's the only reason his contract is somewhat moveable. Of course I'd rather have Keith. However, moving Seabrook is not realistic.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Its premature to do a full teardown. BK laid out a plan to see the team make a serious rebound next year. Will it be a contender? No. Will it be a young team with a ton of talent that can contend in the coming years? Absolutely. And its really contingent on three things. They draft Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko. They sign Artemi Panarin or Mark Stone. They add Boqvist, Mitchell and Barratt to the team. There is a pretty decent chance all three happen setting themselves up for the “re-win” scenario.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Some ESPN article on the Hawks brought up an interesting point. If Q signs with another team, the vets would be more likely to waive their NMCs to play for that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad