Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Week (Actual TDL is Feb 24)

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
They wouldn't trade Hamonic. They love him, they love his charity work, he has ties to western Canada, and I expect Hamonic re-signs something like 5x5 here.

I'd have loved to get DeMelo for a third and re-signed him and let Hamonic walk. Even if Demelo signed for 3.5 or so it would be cheaper, he's a solid Hamonic lite whose a few years younger and has better wheels

Overall though you know ownership wants playoffs. I expect us to get a depth defenseman at this point

This is the issue. It's shocking ownership can't see the regression in Hamonic.. the game is passing him by and we'll be stuck with another anchor of a contract.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
This is the issue. It's shocking ownership can't see the regression in Hamonic.. the game is passing him by and we'll be stuck with another anchor of a contract.
Yup. I'd be ok with like a 2 year extension at best for him. But he's a warrior and good old western Canadian boy. So he's going to be here a while.

I really wish we could have gotten Demelo and walked away from Hamonic lol

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
They wouldn't trade Hamonic. They love him, they love his charity work, he has ties to western Canada, and I expect Hamonic re-signs something like 5x5 here.

I'd have loved to get DeMelo for a third and re-signed him and let Hamonic walk. Even if Demelo signed for 3.5 or so it would be cheaper, he's a solid Hamonic lite whose a few years younger and has better wheels

Overall though you know ownership wants playoffs. I expect us to get a depth defenseman at this point

I'll be starting the fire brad thread if this happens.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Mess up but if you speak up they call you hater though. As long as the fans are paying they are good.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I am not sure why everyone is so down on the team but whatever.

Since the all-star break Jankowski, Bennett, Lucic and Dube have all been over 1/2 point per game. Gio befor he was injured was over a ppg. Lindholm, Chucky, Backlund, Mangiapane and Johnny are near or over a PPG.

Provided Gio and Hamonic come back relatively soon Calgary is well positioned still to win the Pacific.

Players I would consider:
Joel Armia
Anthony Duclair
Sam Reinhart
Palmieri

For the right price:
John Gibson
Eric Staal
Marleau & Thorton

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Unpopular opinion:

If you can get a 1st and a good prospect for TJ Brodie (and I think you can) you have to trade him.

I'm not unopposed to re-signing him in the summer.

I'm pretty in agreement with this. He had 4ish really underwhelming to poor seasons prior to this one after the Norris talk and signing a new contract. He's looked good this year, been great even. But we can't just pretend the last 4 years didn't happen. If they resign him, I just hope they don't overpay him and give him too much term.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm really pessimistic about anything significant happening. I only expect minor tinkering. Treliving will play it safe and then leak stories about the big fish he almost landed but wriggled of the hook just as he was about to pull him into the boat.
The Flames will likely be golfing by mid April.

Surprise me Treliving.

Treliving has been cooking up a storm since the Frolik trade. I have no doubt he'll land some fish by holding out to the 11th hour or if the prices are stupid.

It is SPARTA???

But this might be an interesting scenario. Flames could potentially downgrade/take futures from a team like Boston to feed that arms race. The question is whether Tre would be able to immediately flip those assets for long term assets that our team can use immediately or if we'd have to wait to the TDL. But from the Frolik trade comments, I think it's the former rather than the latter. I also presume that we would still be able to compete even after moving one or both of Brodie and Hamonic. I'd also be curious to see what happens with Bennett. I think Boston would love Hamonic and Bennett and could offer us something that would make us pretty fricken happy again.

Since the all-star break Jankowski, Bennett, Lucic and Dube have all been over 1/2 point per game. Gio befor he was injured was over a ppg. Lindholm, Chucky, Backlund, Mangiapane and Johnny are near or over a PPG.

Provided Gio and Hamonic come back relatively soon Calgary is well positioned still to win the Pacific.

Joel Armia
Anthony Duclair
Sam Reinhart
Palmieri

For the right price:
John Gibson
Eric Staal
Marleau & Thorton

Wat? If Gibson is available, you over pay stupid non-roster things to get him. He's on a great contract and he's an excellent goalie and could do so much more with the Flames roster in front of him vs the aging and likely rebuilding Ducks.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We have a guy already, his name is Artyom "Big Snag Zag" Zagidulin.

I thought he was injured. Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

I was hoping we could snag a serious up and comer like Kakohnen from Minny hoping they don't know what they have on their hands or something like that. I'd be fine moving Gilles and Parsons closer to home.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Can’t wait to land a 7th dman for a mid round pick, who they pigeonhole into the lineup in lieu of Kylington. And then we get to listen to Treliving say how he was in on so many awesome deals but the prices were too high blah blah blah

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Joel Armia
Anthony Duclair
Sam Reinhart
Palmieri

For the right price:
John Gibson
Eric Staal
Marleau & Thorton

Perhaps can't win at home and losing to lottery teams like Chicago, la, sj, Ottawa may have something to do with it....
But yeah they are all haters, things can't be any better....

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Calgary should be open to moving players to add picks.
Not because I'm overly pumped about drafting players that won't help the team for another 4 years, but more so for more trade chips come the offseason.

I think come draft day, if we have some extra 2nds, 3rds or even a first, we'd be in a major position to change this core.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Perhaps can't win at home and losing to lottery teams like Chicago, la, sj, Ottawa may have something to do with it....
But yeah they are all haters, things can't be any better....

St. Louis was last Jan 1, last year. Colorado didn't clinch until the last few games and yet both were strong contenders.

Calgary at this point is in a better situation than both of them were last year.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
St. Louis was last Jan 1, last year. Colorado didn't clinch until the last few games and yet both were strong contenders.

Calgary at this point is in a better situation than both of them were last year.

St. Louis is an all around really solid team with size and Colorado has top end talent that is on another level as us. Speed and physicality is how you win and we are lacking either, while St. Louis and Colorado have both.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Oh my God, I totally forgot he even existed. Guy chose to come to the Flames and has been dicked around the entire time here.

Last year the whole Neal saga took away from Czarnik and this season was progressing well until he was injured. I honestly think the Flames are giving Czarnik the chance to play big minutes in Stockton to get his confidence and game shape to its maximum before they call him up. Austin is playing a great deal on the PP so it is likely the Flames are trying to augment that skill-set.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Martinez to Vegas for a 2020 2nd and a 2021 2nd
At these prices if the Flames are not going to sell Brodie or Hamonic they should just call them self rentals. Between Stone, Davidson and Yelesin they have the depth dmen they could reasonably acquire anyways.

The only deal I would be ok with is for a young fast top 6 forward with term and well Coleman got a 1st and a good prospect who was a 1st round pick last June so the prices are a bit obscene right now so I am hoping the Treliving goes on holiday this week until the 25th

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oh my God, I totally forgot he even existed. Guy chose to come to the Flames and has been dicked around the entire time here.
I agree. He's gotten a raw deal. 3 points in 8 games for the Flames and 29 pts in 24 games for the Heat. Plus he's a natural RW.
He obviously really must of pissed off the Flames coaching staff about something because they originally said he was just going down to Stockton for a conditioning stint. And its not like the Flames are playing great without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad