Trade Deadline Thread

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was reading that the Avs were in the market for a top 9 forward before Kadri got hurt. Now the other night Kadri is out for a good chunk of time, it probably ups their want for a top 9 forward. With the speed on their roster I oculd see them targeting AA for sure. Theyre a really young team as well so I could see them being willing to part with some decent assets to go on a run.

Would anyone do AA for Newhook straight up? I think I might

I think this deadline would be a success if the wings add another second rounder and another third rounder somehow.It wouldnt be great but given what the assets they have are, I think thats solid. Adding another first rounder or high end prospect would be awesome but I think AA is their only chance to do that. Maybe if they trade a guy like Glendening but also take back a fairly big cap dump they could get more than that as well. SO cap space or AA are the only ways they go big game hunting right now

Avs have lot of kid centers. This could really be a good address for a trade.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I wonder if Yzerman tries to get a head start for next season by clearing out some of the logjam at forward and finding a dman or two that could be a regular next year. Green and Daley are probably gone at the deadline, and Ericsson and Biega are likely gone after the season, but they've got a ton of forwards when you consider that Zadina is likely a regular next year and Svechnikov loses waiver exemption and maybe another forward gets promoted. On D, I would imagine Yzerman hopes to promote a couple young guys to fill those spots, but also brings in a guy or two that has some experience.

Perhaps he could move one of his young and likely expendable forwards (Erne/Ehn/Perlini/maybe Svechnikov?) for a dman of similar age and expend-ability?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Wonder what Nemeth could bring back in a trade. I know I have reservations moving him just because he is a solid defender but he must have upped his value this season and you will probably get teams who like that he still has another year of term. Wonder if we could poach a 2nd off a contender (st Louis comes to mind) with j-Bo out

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Wonder what Nemeth could bring back in a trade. I know I have reservations moving him just because he is a solid defender but he must have upped his value this season and you will probably get teams who like that he still has another year of term. Wonder if we could poach a 2nd off a contender (st Louis comes to mind) with j-Bo out
Seth Jones with Columbus will also be out 8-10 weeks as well.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

I think you could get more than a 2nd for nemeth. He’s been pretty great this year. He would really solidify a contenders 2nd pair. I’d like to keep him though, But I’d obviously take a haul if it came to that.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Here's hoping that CAR strikes out on trying to land a high-quality Top 4 D in a large trade, and is forced to settle for a stopgap solution like Green for a 2nd!

Reactions: LafreniereDRW

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
I think you could get more than a 2nd for nemeth. He’s been pretty great this year. He would really solidify a contenders 2nd pair. I’d like to keep him though, But I’d obviously take a haul if it came to that.

Nice try Mrs. Nemeth, but there are literally 150 defensemen in the league better than Nemeth. Your son is the most handsome and to you I'm sure he's worth 10 first rounders. But in NHL trade reality he's not shoring up any cup contenders 2nd pair.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like him so no rush to trade him. Second +six

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If Jensen could fetch a 2nd, I would imagine Nemeth could too. However, the Red Wings would probably need some sort of Forsberg for Erat level overpayment to move him at this point.

One of the main reasons he was signed for two years was to have some D in place for 20-21 after Daley, Ericsson and Green are gone. I doubt they move him this year. Whatever his value is now will probably be the same as when they go to move him as a rental a year from now anyway.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If Jensen could fetch a 2nd, I would imagine Nemeth could too. However, the Red Wings would probably need some sort of Forsberg for Erat level overpayment to move him at this point.

One of the main reasons he was signed for two years was to have some D in place for 20-21 after Daley, Ericsson and Green are gone. I doubt they move him this year. Whatever his value is now will probably be the same as when they go to move him as a rental a year from now anyway.

I completely agree. Nemeth is solid, a hard worker and cheap. No point in trading him for a late 2nd or 3rd in my opinion. I'm not going to argue he is worth a 1st or a Newhook level prospect but unless we are getting something like that back I would prefer we keep him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
My Dream TDL menu:

Green - conditional 3rd conditional that he play at least 10 games and 4 playoff games if they make it.
Howard - 2nd / 3rd
AA - 1st although I am not unhappy if we hang onto him
Helm 2nd or 3rd (maybe 1st with retention)
Nemeth - 2nd
Filppula - 3rd (maybe 2nd with retention)
Bernier - high 2nd or 1st
Glendening - high second
Abdelkader - 6th or 7th or what ever they offer
Nielsen - 6th or 7th or what ever they offer
Cap space - willing to take on 3-4 seasons of a bad contract for a 1st and some prospects

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
My Dream TDL menu:

Green - conditional 3rd conditional that he play at least 10 games and 4 playoff games if they make it.
Howard - 2nd / 3rd
Nemeth - 2nd
Glendening - high second
Cap space - willing to take on 3-4 seasons of a bad contract for a 1st and some prospects

I feel like if Yzerman decided to do a complete tear down, I'd rather he get more prospects and young players that are or are close to NHL ready instead of a bunch of rolls of the dice that may not have any impact at the NHL level for 3-5 years, if at all. And on top of that, force the Toledo Walleye to forfeit the rest of the year because GR had to recall half their roster after the Wings recalled half of theirs...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I feel like if Yzerman decided to do a complete tear down, I'd rather he get more prospects and young players that are or are close to NHL ready instead of a bunch of rolls of the dice that may not have any impact at the NHL level for 3-5 years, if at all. And on top of that, force the Toledo Walleye to forfeit the rest of the year because GR had to recall half their roster after the Wings recalled half of theirs...

I would also be good with prospects. Either way I see it as something for nothing.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
My Dream TDL menu:

Howard - 2nd / 3rd
Nemeth - 2nd
Glendening - high second
So after you make all of your NHL 20 trades, what does your line-up look like?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
People need to accept that we are stuck with Nielsen and Abdelkader. I can wrap my head around buying out Nielsen but Abdelkader isn’t going anywhere.

I also don’t believe burying these guys in Grand Rapids as a solution either.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Or, how about a few picks is fine, but rather have mostly prospects & 2-3 more picks. More importantly, some/most of those prospects would supplement our current "core", instead of lottery tickets, which may never, but even if they did our current core would be ~28-32+ yrs. old. or older. Also since prospects are further along, they have a greater chance of succeeding at the NHL level vs. a 18 yr. old who is likely a very long shot. We're so bereft of talent that it'd start a seemingly perpetual state of rebuild as the "kids/picks" wouldn't be ready while the current core is ~30++.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
People need to accept that we are stuck with Nielsen and Abdelkader. I can wrap my head around buying out Nielsen but Abdelkader isn’t going anywhere.

Yeah to move either we'd need to give the other team picks. They are cap dumps, plain and simple.

We don't need the space so just sit on their contracts for now.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
So after you make all of your NHL 20 trades, what does your line-up look like?

It finishes in the same place, but with 4-5 more prospects to roll the dice on. So what does it matter what it looks like? Most of those players are only signed for like this season and next season anyway. Not like we need to extend them and we don't require their help to fight for second to last place :)

If you are referring to me I totally accept that. I would never buy out either player or pay another team to take them. I am simply saying if someone offered me a conditional 7th for both players I would take it.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think it's straight up ignorant to think Abdelkader "couldn't" be bought out. His roster spot is more valueable than the money saved. There's a log-jam at F. He's not providing the team any value.

Team save about 2 million on the cap the first three years, while taking a 1 million dollar cap hit the following three years. It's easier than the Stephen Weiss buyout.

Nielsen is a little far-fetched... cause his contract is up so sooner, his cap hit is high but his actually salary is pretty low and he can play C/Wing. Wings also don't save a ton of money by buying him out and almost save the same amount by just sending him to the AHL. Its, imo more respectful to be sent down and get your salary vs being bought out an out of the game/league/job.

What makes actually sense for next year is to buyout Abdelkader, bury Nielsen in the AHL, use the saved money to sign a solid defensemen, promote guys like Smith/Ehn/Rasmussen to NHL roles, resign Mantha, sign a goalie, bring in a solid 2nd line center option.

Keeping those guys around just extends the rebuild another full season with a top 5 pick. Which, hey, some people are alright with, I'm not exactly alright with staying pat/standing still. I don't need to see franchise altering moves either just moves that make sense to improve the team towards playoff contention. Standing pat, playing out contracts, and watching the draft is something I've done the past three years and fear I can't take much more of! The first two years they didn't even know they were in a rebuild really, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: vladdy16

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It finishes in the same place, but with 4-5 more prospects to roll the dice on. So what does it matter what it looks like? Most of those players are only signed for like this season and next season anyway. Not like we need to extend them and we don't require their help to fight for second to last place :)

If you are referring to me I totally accept that. I would never buy out either player or pay another team to take them. I am simply saying if someone offered me a conditional 7th for both players I would take it.

What he is asking is for March-April, how do you plan a full roster?

Howard - 2nd / 3rd
Nemeth - 2nd
Glendening - high second

If you got everything... you're sending out 2 D men, 6 forwards, 2 goalies. You don't seem to be planning on bringing anyone back. So how are you adding 10 rostered players without decimating your entire system?

Green is garbage but somehow he's worth a 3rd.
Howard is ultra trash but he's worth a 2nd/3rd?
Nemeth is one of the few stable D players. He was also free to the market just this past offseason.
Filppula is badly aged, has a +/- just above AA, and is signed through next year.
and so on and so forth.

So if some other team took on around 10M for three years with you retaining no value, you'd make the trade. :banghead:

Lastly... is there a limit on post TDL callups? I don't even think you could do what you're proposing, regardless of the fact that it is a terrible idea.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think it's straight up ignorant to think Abdelkader "couldn't" be bought out. His roster spot is more valueable than the money saved. There's a log-jam at F. He's not providing the team any value.

Team save about 2 million on the cap the first three years, while taking a 1 million dollar cap hit the following three years. It's easier than the Stephen Weiss buyout.

Nielsen is a little far-fetched... cause his contract is up so sooner, his cap hit is high but his actually salary is pretty low and he can play C/Wing. Wings also don't save a ton of money by buying him out and almost save the same amount by just sending him to the AHL. Its, imo more respectful to be sent down and get your salary vs being bought out an out of the game/league/job.

What makes actually sense for next year is to buyout Abdelkader, bury Nielsen in the AHL, use the saved money to sign a solid defensemen, promote guys like Smith/Ehn/Rasmussen to NHL roles, resign Mantha, sign a goalie, bring in a solid 2nd line center option.

Keeping those guys around just extends the rebuild another full season with a top 5 pick. Which, hey, some people are alright with, I'm not exactly alright with staying pat/standing still. I don't need to see franchise altering moves either just moves that make sense to improve the team towards playoff contention. Standing pat, playing out contracts, and watching the draft is something I've done the past three years and fear I can't take much more of! The first two years they didn't even know they were in a rebuild really, lol.

For me, you buy out Abdelkader when a move necessitates that you buy him out. You don't do it just to do it. If you're not going to be a big FA player or need cash to extend someone right away or whatever... just continue to eat the years.

And **** no it's not more respectful to be sent down to the AHL. Buyout gives you the opportunity to find another NHL roster. It's more respectful to let a guy loose to see if a big club wants him than bury him in BFE.

Reactions: Snuggs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad