Trade Deadline Thread

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
That would have been a real nice haul for AA.
Galchenyuk alone would have the potential to win that trade.
And then you get Addison and a first?

I don’t think Galchenyuk is the player you think he is. He has some gears not properly ticking in between his ears

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Seasons 2018-2020 combined:

Jason Zucker, 126 games, 35+36 = 71 points (0.56 points per game) (0.28 goals per game) 16:39 Total IT per game

Athanasiou, 116 games, 37+38 = 75 points (0.65 points per game) (0.32 goals per game) 16:55 Total IT per game

AA could easily fetch the same value.
I really think this is a special case. The Pens have coveted Zucker for quite a while.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Jason Zucker, 126 games, 35+36 = 71 points (0.56 points per game) (0.28 goals per game) 16:39 Total IT per game

Athanasiou, 116 games, 37+38 = 75 points (0.65 points per game) (0.32 goals per game) 16:55 Total IT per game

Zucker is quite a bit better than AA defensively, no?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That would have been a real nice haul for AA.
Galchenyuk alone would have the potential to win that trade.
And then you get Addison and a first?

In Dave Molinari's chat with Jim Rutherford after the deal, Rutherford said "We like his speed, his two-way play, his shot. We like his all-around play.”

Zucker is pretty much the anti-AA.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

Unsurprisingly if you adjust a stat range to exclude one player’s best season the results look favorable to the other player.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
AA is currently sitting 13th on the athletic's trade board.

13. Andreas Athanasiou, Red Wings – If you’re looking for speed, offense and don’t want to use valuable assets on a rental, Athanasiou is a fascinating option. Still just 25, he’s back from injury and the Red Wings have a little bit of an opportunity here to showcase him. The challenge is getting him signed after this season, a concern raised by one NHL source. “A team is going to want to know if they can sign him before giving up anything,” he said. Imagine his speed on a line with Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby, players from two teams that have been connected to Athanasiou.

For context the forwards ranked above AA are Kreider, Pageau, Toffoli, Kovalchuk, Hoffman, Mikael Granlund, Josh Anderson. All of these guys except Anderson(RFA) are pending UFAs.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Unsurprisingly if you adjust a stat range to exclude one player’s best season the results look favorable to the other player.
Recency bias aside...their career ppg average % are identical. However, consider AA played on non playoff rosters & now a historically bad team vs. Zucker whose team has been in the playoffs almost every year of his career...

52 vs. 53

AA=.524%
Zucker=.532%

Zucker's 2-way play vs. AA's elite speed.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don’t think Galchenyuk is the player you think he is. He has some gears not properly ticking in between his ears

I would almost think Galchenyuk was a negative asset in that trade... The Pens needed to clear his salary to fit Zucker, so they probably had to make it worth Minnesota's while to take on his salary, thus the assets attached to him being kind of higher in price than anticipated.

On top of that, Galchenyuk no longer has any team/cost control. He can hit the UFA market at 26YO this summer. So if he turns it around with the Wild, he can simply leave and go to the highest bidder on July 1st.

Reactions: marcmadsen

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's going to be interesting to see what Yzerman does in his first deadline with the Wings...

Looking back, he was super busy at the first deadline where he was a "seller" for the Lightning (2012). This was all within a week and a half of the deadline:

-Traded Dominic Moore as a rental
-Traded Pavel Kubina as a rental
-Made an AHL vet forward for AHL vet forward swap with Chicago
-Made the Downie for Quincey for a 1st and Piche trade
-Claimed a 27YO AHL/NHL bubble forward from the Islanders on waivers
-Traded a 20YO Carter Ashton for 22YO Keith Aulie
-Got Mike Commodore basically as a gift from his old employer
-Traded Matt Gilroy as a rental

Then still as a seller the next year:

-Traded Marc-Andre Bergeron as a rental
-Waived Adam Hall (who they had lost on waivers earlier in the year and then re-acquired in the Bergeron trade), who was then claimed by the Flyers
-Sent an unsigned college level 22YO prospect who had been taken in the 7th round for struggling 22YO Philippe Paradis, who had been taken 27OA in 2009
-Acquired Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher and a 4th

I'm guessing Yzerman is probably looking to move Daley and Green for picks/prospects as rentals, shops AA for a good return, and is open for business if teams are looking to pay a pick or prospect to get rid of some bad salary before they make their own deadline moves.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I was reading that the Avs were in the market for a top 9 forward before Kadri got hurt. Now the other night Kadri is out for a good chunk of time, it probably ups their want for a top 9 forward. With the speed on their roster I oculd see them targeting AA for sure. Theyre a really young team as well so I could see them being willing to part with some decent assets to go on a run.

Would anyone do AA for Newhook straight up? I think I might

I think this deadline would be a success if the wings add another second rounder and another third rounder somehow.It wouldnt be great but given what the assets they have are, I think thats solid. Adding another first rounder or high end prospect would be awesome but I think AA is their only chance to do that. Maybe if they trade a guy like Glendening but also take back a fairly big cap dump they could get more than that as well. SO cap space or AA are the only ways they go big game hunting right now

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I was reading that the Avs were in the market for a top 9 forward before Kadri got hurt. Now the other night Kadri is out for a good chunk of time, it probably ups their want for a top 9 forward. With the speed on their roster I oculd see them targeting AA for sure. Theyre a really young team as well so I could see them being willing to part with some decent assets to go on a run.

I think this deadline would be a success if the wings add another second rounder and another third rounder somehow.It wouldnt be great but given what the assets they have are, I think thats solid. Adding another first rounder or high end prospect would be awesome but I think AA is their only chance to do that. Maybe if they trade a guy like Glendening but also take back a fairly big cap dump they could get more than that as well. SO cap space or AA are the only ways they go big game hunting right now

yes

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Most definitely.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I would definitely take newhook but not sure the avs will agree. From what I have gathered they are quite high on the kid. Furthermore, They could view the Kadri injury as a big blow to their overall chances and decide the timing is not right to make a splash. Sakic has proven to be quite patient as a GM.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Without hesitation...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I would not trade Newhook for AA in a million years if I’m Colorado, come on now.

Their window is to win right now and Newhook is like their third or fourth best prospect. AA is actually kinda what Newhook projects to be. A burner thats pretty much all offense. Theres a definite possibility they wouldnt do it I agree, but it might not be as far off as you think

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Their window is to win right now and Newhook is like their third or fourth best prospect. AA is actually kinda what Newhook projects to be. A burner thats pretty much all offense. Theres a definite possibility they wouldnt do it I agree, but it might not be as far off as you think

In the last 10 years, AA has finished a season with more A's than G's, twice.

You guys are over-inflating his value to an absurd degree.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In the last 10 years, AA has finished a season with more A's than G's, twice.

You guys are over-inflating his value to an absurd degree.

Meh I dunno hes a weird player. Hes only 25 and depsite always playing on bad teams hes played at a 23 goal pace every year. Except this year hes been a pretty consistent goal scoring threat. Maybe not game to game consistent but season to season hes been pretty consistent. Coming off 30 goals as an RFA. Newhook is a high bar and great prospect but he should definitely be able to pull a first round pick or a fairly high calibre prospect. For the record, Newhook was only a 16th overall pick, and didnt make team Canada this year, I'm not sure hes as highly ranked as some people might think

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Meh I dunno hes a weird player. Hes only 25 and depsite always playing on bad teams hes played at a 23 goal pace every year. Except this year hes been a pretty consistent goal scoring threat. Maybe not game to game consistent but season to season hes been pretty consistent. Coming off 30 goals as an RFA. Newhook is a high bar and great prospect but he should definitely be able to pull a first round pick or a fairly high calibre prospect. For the record, Newhook was only a 16th overall pick, and didnt make team Canada this year, I'm not sure hes as highly ranked as some people might think

Newhook has been very good at BC, I know if I am the Avs I tell Stevie to buzz off if that is who he thinks AA can bring back. I mean I get the ask. I would be elated if he somehow tricked Sakic into that. But I seriously doubt that is a realistic return for AA who is in the midst of an absolute trainwreck of a season.

Not making Canada isn't the be all end all, being a point per game freshman shouldn't be lowering his value at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad