Trade Deadline Thread

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When Steve said that last season in Germany that Moritz didn't get a lot of p p time I laughed. It just sounds bad when you say that like pk gets said. I liked Steve's side of the press conference, as he answers mostly honestly without a lot of bs. The questions of the other hand were pretty bad at times.

"I know you don't want to give a timeline for when this team turns around, but could you talk about what the expectation is for when that will be!" (Paraphrased, but basically without giving a timeline, can you give a timeline!:facepalm:)

HSJ's questions are always bad. I mean twice she asked what he thinks about during the game in the GMs box):headache:

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I found it hilarious how they all asked their questions at the same time. What a mess. That woman tried to ask her question like 10 times but she was interrupted by the other dudes.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Interested to see how Sam Gagner fits into the lineup. We are really lacking right handed shots and he’s been historically solid on the pp. Hope he can bring some value to this team.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, Steve's interviews are solid. I liked him joking around about who will make the first pick in this year's draft and he said ask me again in 7 or 8 years. He also talked about how the scouts make the picks but he'll have some say on the top pick. He talked about how he knows just enough to get himself in trouble but he doesn't have enough time to see all of the guys and make an informed opinion. Just really good stuff overall. It's night and day really and this is something you come to appreciated when you are staring down a full rebuild.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yzerman went into Tampa with a lot of pieces. The rebuild was already two seasons on the right track.

This is a "completely" different story. I did not expect many sweeping changes and he still has to wait for Holland contracts to finally end. There are little to no pieces we have of value that we can actually part with. So I don't understand the criticism of those that are underwhelmed. What does he do different? When he was in Tampa he had assets that other people actually wanted that he could also afford to part with and take risks. We do not and I repeat do not have that after Holland was done plugging for playoffs.

He is rightfully not in a hurry, when he said this was an observation year he meant it. I think he actually made a lot of moves this season all things considered. He is playing the long game, pace your expectations for it.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I have to say I loved that interview and I love his honesty. Yes they are not going to always get all the picks right even the top picks and yes he will make mistakes.

I like the direction this team is going. I will for sure find things I disagree on with Yzerman. But that is our job as fans, Yzerman is one if the smartest GMs around. I trust that he will restore my team to where they belong even if I do not always agrew how they do it.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Barclay Goodrow is a guy more in the Paul Gaustad mold (big, heavy center). He's taken ~350 FO and winning just under 50%. In prior years he's been over. He's starting to creep up a little bit in points. Basically, Tampa needed a good bottom 6C. They didn't need a one-way wing.

People really struggle with understanding the value that some "meh" guys possess and that some guys who you think would return something have black marks against them that teams count but fans don't.
They also got a 3rd back.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Apologies if this has been addressed but...

Why the hell is Trevor Daley still here?
I can only guess there were no takers. I thought for sure the Pens would pick him up for a 6th or 7th or maybe future considerations.

I'm also mildly surprised that Bernier's still here. There were a few teams with goalie problems that didn't address them. I think if I was Carolina, I would have at least taken a flyer on someone. The goal situation could end up being their downfall.

Reactions: lilidk

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I can only guess there were no takers. I thought for sure the Pens would pick him up for a 6th or 7th or maybe future considerations.

I'm also mildly surprised that Bernier's still here. There were a few teams with goalie problems that didn't address them. I think if I was Carolina, I would have at least taken a flyer on someone. The goal situation could end up being their downfall.
It sounds like from Stevie's press conference there were no calls for Bernier or Howard. Not surprised. Thought Glendening or Helm might go.

Reactions: RedMenace

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I found it hilarious how they all asked their questions at the same time. What a mess. That woman tried to ask her question like 10 times but she was interrupted by the other dudes.
That's because she is HSH (Helen St. James) of the Detroit Free Press (Freep). She is by far the worst "reporter" I've ever heard/read. Art Regner is pretty bad too.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He said ,summer will be decision about Capitan on the team. If it's not Larkin, just trade him at the draft

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
They are astonishingly bad. In fact the DRW sports coverage is a total embarrassment when it comes to beat writers, Art etc
The thought of other fan bases watching our beat reporters ask questions makes me nauseous. So amateur.

art and hsj are the worst. Art just asks questions to make the person like him, “oh, so I didn’t want to ask this, but are you uncomfortable with how loved you are?”

hsj asks questions akin to, what’s your favorite color.

Its a big f***ing joke and I get embarrassed watching it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce