Trade Deadline Thread

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This Yzerman presser has been awesome, funny, etc.. You guys just gotta sit back trust the process, dude is insanely smart... it'll get back to what we want soon

I haven't really been one to jump on the Yzerman hype train, but I really do enjoy his pressers. Very honest, humble and somewhat humorous and laid back. Kinda wish he'd do them more often.

Reactions: mantha39

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Glad AA is gone, I don't think he is a guy you win with

That being said, how does Barclay Goodrow fetch a 1st and not AA?

I know that comes down to specific teams/GMs being desperate, but the market seemed really volatile this year

Andy Greene got a 2nd + prospect too - while other similar D got what we would expect (3rds, 4ths, conditions on those picks, etc.)

Just seemed like some sellers killed it while others got what we could expect the market to return

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Most of the forwards and defensemen don't play "defense" on this team either. No need to harp on AA you got what you wanted. Now it will be my job to never let you guys forget what you said when he excels in Edmonton next to McDavid. (And I won't forget) :)

What I wanted was for AA to consistently give a damn. To use those skills that you and MBH will give him so much leeway for. Since he didn't seem to want to do that, I was okay with him being traded. I'm not really balking at the return either. He didn't have the value that people thought he did. Just like Vanek didn't either of the times we traded him.

And I was saying that his reputation around the league was that he didn't play defense. It is not okay that his defense sucks because everyone else's defense sucks. AA, unto himself, was not going to return what would make people happy. You look at him as a 30 goal scorer who could be more if he just got better linemates. Teams around the league clearly didn't see him that way.

And jesus, I HOPE Edmonton puts him on a line with McDavid. AA is a puck dominant player. He's not any damn good without the puck on his stick. He is not likely to be the dominant puck carrier if they put him on a line with McDavid.

You can dream up all the "speed kills" ideas that you want... but I will bet you that AA does not set up shop on the top line with McDavid. Maybe they'll be used on the PP, but he's a ****ing terrible wing to use with a guy like Connor.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
AA wasn't going to "become" anything. He's been in the league five years now. The guy we had last year is the best he's gonna get

Sounds like how folks talk about DeKeyser, only he's older and broken to a point where he may never reach what he was for a couple 20 game stretches once upon a time.

People are really fixating on what they think AA could become, and not enough on what he is today. Especially considering we've got that quote about how frustrated with him the team was.

Amen! Yzerman was handed the dumpster fire of dumpster fires. The rest of the league is certainly aware of this, and the limiting aspects of AA, so why do many here hate the return? Yzerman isn't a magician, he's just a good GM. It's completely possible that the only one brazen enough to offer two 2nds was the man that (whether under order from high or not) built said fire in Detroit.

I don't have any issue with the return. Whatever AA does in Edmonton, it matters not, because their team is light years more talented. All the best to him.

Reactions: RedMenace and Bench

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
It'll be interesting to see how Athanasiou does in Edmonton. The guy is a puck hog and he doesnt really use his linemates as he should, so Edmonton better hope they can get him to buy in and be smarter with the puck. I do hope he does well there though, and im glad he's in the West rather than in Columbus like originally rumored.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I know that comes down to specific teams/GMs being desperate, but the market seemed really volatile this year

Andy Greene got a 2nd + prospect too - while other similar D got what we would expect (3rds, 4ths, conditions on those picks, etc.)

Just seemed like some sellers killed it while others got what we could expect the market to return

Barclay Goodrow is a guy more in the Paul Gaustad mold (big, heavy center). He's taken ~350 FO and winning just under 50%. In prior years he's been over. He's starting to creep up a little bit in points. Basically, Tampa needed a good bottom 6C. They didn't need a one-way wing.

People really struggle with understanding the value that some "meh" guys possess and that some guys who you think would return something have black marks against them that teams count but fans don't.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
[...]
Like all Edmonton fans are gonna be excited to have him next to McDavid when any coach with a brain doesn't try to do that for one millisecond when not on the PP.
This won't happen. Teams usually play their best d-line against McDavid, different to Athanasiou, and play more defensively in general.
Also, McDavid might be a rather quiet guy, just like Larkin, but Draisaitl isn't. If Athanasiou shows a lack of ambition in their current playoff-race, he will sooner or later be held responsible for this by Draisaitl, who can be very vocal and who isn't at all afraid of speaking out, the same with Tippett himself.
If he doesn't show any quality he will just be moved down some lines or even to the AHL. The Oilers are probably going to make it to the playoffs without him, they will figure out that they don't necessarily need him if he doesn't show any ambition to win a game. He is a RFA afterwards anyways, and with Tyler Ennis they added another fast player who can play on McDavid's wing.
The Oilers did a great job today..

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I feel a little better about the somewhat lower than expected returns on the AA & Green trades now after seeing Hawks & NJ get fleeced:

1. CHI get a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick* (CGY) for Gustavsson (yes I know he's only had 1 good season, D liability & UFA, 27 etc.)
2. Robin Lehner for Malcom Subban, Slava Demin, 2020 2nd

3. Vatanen for crap

Last edited:

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
If he doesn't show any quality he will just be moved down some lines or even to the AHL.

I doubt Holland just gave up two 2nds for a guy that they would try to put through waivers. No way he moves future's like that and doesn't try to recoup something. Dude would be run out of town.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Barclays cap hit for this year and next and not being a minus 45. There was also a 3rd rounder involved which takes away some of the value of the 1st rounder acquired.. In my opinion.. We moved a non core piece who's controllable years,are dwindling for 2 high draft picks. That's a win.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am really bummed we did not go after Lehner seeing him return some good trade value just reminds me, he was the UFA we should have went after hard and never looked back.

It'll be interesting to see how Athanasiou does in Edmonton. The guy is a puck hog and he doesn't really use his linemates as he should, so Edmonton better hope they can get him to buy in and be smarter with the puck. I do hope he does well there though, and im glad he's in the West rather than in Columbus like originally rumored.

I think playing with litterally one of the worlds best players and being able to play a system that turns on the afterburners will do a world of good for Athanasiou. Detroit's current state is no place for his game and it showed terribly so much so it wasn't possible to get a 1st for a 30 goal scorer. You gotta have a complete game to develop in Detroit right now, and Athanasiou does not have a complete game, but the things he are one dimensional at are way above average so a more complete team will make him shine.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Kind of meh trade deadline , hope we use those 3 seconds for something good ,we need to get lucky, our prospect pool not so great. And I hope Yzerman will get very good defensman at free agency .

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Classy of McDavid to greet them at the airport in Edmonton.
upload_2020-2-24_20-38-19.png

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Barclay Goodrow is a guy more in the Paul Gaustad mold (big, heavy center). He's taken ~350 FO and winning just under 50%. In prior years he's been over. He's starting to creep up a little bit in points. Basically, Tampa needed a good bottom 6C. They didn't need a one-way wing.

People really struggle with understanding the value that some "meh" guys possess and that some guys who you think would return something have black marks against them that teams count but fans don't.

Barclays cap hit for this year and next and not being a minus 45. There was also a 3rd rounder involved which takes away some of the value of the 1st rounder acquired.. In my opinion.. We moved a non core piece who's controllable years,are dwindling for 2 high draft picks. That's a win.

Oh I didn't mean this as an Yzerman criticism, more just an interesting observation

I feel like most seasons once the first trade or two happens in late January/ early February the market becomes "set" with maybe one off the grid trade that doesn't fit but it felt like this year values were all over the map

I agree/ am aware/ didn't mean to upset anyone with my post -- just thought it was unique that AA, a guy who has many warts but is a young, team controlled, former 30 goal guy didn't rank higher in the returns today.

That's not a knock on Yzerman and it wasn't necessarily a humongous shock to me, I just would have assumed he would return more than say Barclay Goodrow for example

But after seeing the return for Trocheck I think all bets were off

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not deadline related, but not thread worthy either! I was just looking at players who lead the league with EN goals scored, and Nyquist has only 12 goals this year, and 5 of them are empty netters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad