Trade Deadline Routine - 2015 Edition

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
8:20 Wake up. Check Phone to ensure nothing has happened. Put coffee in the press and let it brew while I shower. Drink coffee/eat cereal while I continuously press F5 on TSN website.

10:00 In class with laptop opened to TSN, HFB, Twitter refreshing all of them. Do this in all of my classes + the one lab I have from 2-5.

18:00 Finally get home from school. BBQ Steak + Lamb and throw on some form of vegetable that is not a potato so that I am not eating 100% starch or protein. Do so in garage tuned into TSN most likely listening to James Duthie mock O dog or Ferraro, Ward and O Dog talking about nothing as no big trades happened. Forgot to mention the copious amount of pints which can now be consumed.

23:30 Fall asleep after another boring deadline day.

:cheers:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't most post here while working? Deadline day would be no different.

Can't imagine coming on here if I wasn't getting paid.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't have one. I usually have alerts on my phone that I'll check from time to time but finding out when the trade occurs or when I get home doesn't make a difference to me.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I was able to skip class in highschool every year for the trade deadline. This year with University I would have done it too. My monday is light with only 2 classes but the 2nd part of my one class is a tutorial with an in class assignment (literally the only one all year) so I can't really take the 0 on it. The positive is I only have class until just after 1 that day so I will be back for the actual deadline.

Besides the 12:30-1:00/1:30 time gap for the assignment I will have the phone and laptop on the guy in both lectures.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I always wake up at 8:00 AM when the coverage starts, however the past few years a lot of the trades didn't happen until after 2:00 PM and there are always trades announced after 3:00 PM. So I'm debating is it worth it to wake up early again, because what if this is the year when more deals happen a lot earlier?

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I always wake up at 8:00 AM when the coverage starts, however the past few years a lot of the trades didn't happen until after 2:00 PM and there are always trades announced after 3:00 PM. So I'm debating is it worth it to wake up early again, because what if this is the year when more deals happen a lot earlier?

Since when is 8am early?!

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
What is everybody's routine on trade deadline day?

My friends and I have been booking that day off work for 10 years now. Everyone has busy lives but this is one of the days we meet for breakfast and then go back to one of our houses with cases of beer and watch the trades come in. Good times......

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
-book the day off work

-call the kids in sick from school so they can stay home

-decorate my house with lights

-cook a turkley and brew some soup

-invite family over to sit infront of the tv and watch deadline day all day

just kidding.

business as usual.

That actually made me laugh lol.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Get up at 06:00.

Turn on coffee maker.

Turn on TV tuned to TSN.

Prepare bowl of cereal and eat.

Pour cup of coffee.

Sit on coach with coffee in hand.

Start up laptop, open Firefox, logon to HF.

Laugh at, and post on HF, about at all the trade activity of NO SIGNIFICANCE!

Get pissed off at seeing the Leafs war room EMPTY!!! :rant:

Amuse myself with thoughts about how good the upcoming draft and free agency will be for our Leafs. :facepalm:

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Go to work

Waste employers time on HF

Decide that every team receiving picks made out like bandits

Be disappointed in the Leafs war room is empty for the full day

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Ya the cap has certainly diminished what used to be an interesting day, there's still the odd one of note here and there but it definitely has become rather anti climatic.
The Cap killed lots of good things:
(1) Toronto's chances at a Stanley cup (evens the playing field).
(2) Trading players.

The only thing the Cap is good for is keeping the Stanley cup in US ... so Bettman can get his dream deal with the US TV networks.

I'll bet hell would freeze over before Baseball's New York Yankees would agree to a hard salary cap.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Trade deadline is the only day of the year where the 3rd and 4th liners matter.

Every year it seems like 80% of the time, the names are going to be similar to Daniel Winnik or Korbinian Holzer for mid round picks.

I used to dedicate a lot of time to the trade deadline day, but how excited can I really be if the only player the Leafs have traded for in the past couple years was Ryan O'Byrne.

That being said, I'll likely spend a majority of the day flipping between Sportsnet and TSN. Also have twitter on the go.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Wake up at around 10. Check my phone for any updates if anything did happen. Make some coffee for the whole family. Spend the entire day tirelessly canvasing twitter and watching the TDL on T.V. while eating a lot of food. Sounds about right.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I remember that one trade deadline where I was really amp'ed for it and all we got was Yannick Perreault.

And we over payed!!

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I have no college then so.

I usually get up at 8:00 am and have for the past 4 deadlines now. I dont know why just do.

Have HF Boards, TSN trade page, twitter on tabs and constantly refreshing.

Usually mundle about from about 8-9.

Shower then make a nice full breakfast, cup of coffee.

Sit on my couch and watch TSN and Sportsnet flipping back and forth but mainly staying on TSN.

3 pm wonder why I do this every year.

6 pm contiplate my life as a leafs fan for Nonis doing nothing (hopefully not)

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
First year in the last 5 or so I've had to work a night shift the night before, and after.

I'll be driving home from work which takes an hour from 7am-8am.

Live almost directly beside a McDonalds/Timmy Hoes, I'll grab a sausage McMuffin or 3, and one of those delicious homefry thingies. I'll get home around 8:05 throw the big screen on and stuff my face with far too many calories all the while laughing at everyones insight besides Bob McKenzie.

My girlfriend is doing her post graduate so she'll be leaving by 8:30 am giving me the rest of the day to lounge and refresh twitter 10290129 times until 3pm.

I have a feeling this year will be the one that the Leafs will be busy, thus not hating myself for doing nothing that contributed to anything, and depriving myself from sleep.

It's time for the rebuild! Go Leafs Go!!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I find a different tie to wear with yesterday's suit that I slept in after the night's activities, swallow some aspirin, open up the HFBoards trade forum for a reference list of ideas, send out a mass email to all the other GMs titled "For Sale: 2nd round picks, looking for intangibles", then grab an XL coffee and box of dozen donuts from Timmy's (it's gonna be a long day) and wait by my phone.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
get up at 730.. call in work saying im sick..

8-4 eat/watch tsn/be on hf boards

4-5pm recap what happen to my brother..

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
So... how do you spend YOUR Trade Deadline Day? - 2015 Edition

In what has become a bit of a staple for me, for the past few years I've given a somewhat satirical look at how I spend my trade deadline days. A bit of back story is that, since 1998, I have taken the day off from work or school to spend my day stuck in front of the television and waste the day away with junk food and HFBoards in what has become an unofficial holiday for me.

The past few threads are found here :

2014 Thread
2013 Thread
2012 Thread

This year, for the first time in 17 years now, I will not be sitting in front of my television at home... because I will actually be on vacation in Scotland!

Let's be clear though - a little thing like vacation does not break tradition for me... and the 5 hour time difference actually works to my advantage to actually get the most of my day, and then enjoy the trade deadline in the evening/night!

With that in mind, here is the road map of how my day should be going... with a bit of a Scottish theme.

8:00am Edinburgh Time (3:00am EDT) - Awaken to realize that my jet lag is still in full force, and begin to wonder if this is what the guys from Trainspotting felt like.

tumblr_m6mtk46k9a1rs1ef6o1_500.jpg

9:00am Edinburgh Time (4:00am EDT) - Emerge from my hotel room after a shower and a fresh change of clothes to head down to the pub attached to the restaurant. Order a full Scottish breakfast - I'll need my strength for the day (if keeping score, that is two eggs, bacon, sausage, haggis, beans, grilled tomato, grilled mushrooms, and toast)

97079537_99913dd48d.jpg

10:00am Edinburgh Time (5:00am EDT) - Leave the pub sporting a full on food baby after consuming enough calories to kill most small mammals. Realize I'm gonna have to climb a mountain to burn this off... look across the city's skyline, and remember that's exactly what I'm doing that day.

Salisbury-Crags-as-viewed-008.jpg

10:45am Edinburgh Time (5:45am EDT) - After a walk from Haymarket (where my hotel is) to the Old City Centre, and Holyrood Park where I find Arthur's Seat (the aforementioned mountain). Feel the juices pumping as I take my first steps up the mountain as I love hiking, and the view is supposed to be ridiculous.

braveheart2-460x274.jpg

10:48am Edinburgh Time (5:48am EDT) - Immediately both regret my breakfast choice, and realize I've overestimated my cardio abilities. Grow concerned I'm worrying my fellow hikers.

hqdefault.jpg

12:30pm Edinburgh Time (7:30am EDT) - After much sweat, tears, and maybe even a little vomit, finally arrive to the top of Arthurs Seat. Amaze at the view of the city. Wish the Leafs future was this bright.

1_2_4l.JPG

12:45pm Edinburgh Time (7:45am EDT) - Start my descent back down the mountain, and realize the Leafs are going to be arriving at practice soon. Wonders if Kessel is going to give an interview.

giphy.gif

3:30pm Edinburgh Time (10:30a, EDT) - Arrive back in the main city, and head directly back to my hotel. Wonder what I should drink when I settle in to my room, when I realize... I'm in Scotland! Immediately head over to the Marks & Spencer close to my hotel and pick up a bottle of Dalwhinnie.

tumblr_ltjq3ynhoI1qzffb5o1_500.jpg

3:45pm Edinburgh Time (10:45am EDT) - Start walking back to my hotel. Realize that not only am I going to be absent of James Onrait & Dan O'Toole this year, but also Kate Beirness. Feel immediate melancholy.

B2IOG9YIcAA7DJu.jpg

4:00pm Edinburgh Time (11:00am EDT) - Arrive back at the hotel, and immediately pour a scotch. Log into HFBoards, and find some kind stranger who can provide me a link to a TSN stream that I can access from Europe.

7BbY4.gif

5:00pm Edinburgh Time (12:00pm EDT) - After seeing next to no trade movement, fully realize that going on vacation during the trade deadline was the right move to make. Catch Steve Simmons making shadow puppets on the Reporters desk in the background.

oVq8Z.gif

6:30pm Edinburgh Time (1:30pm EDT) - Trade Activity picking up, and quickly realize I haven't eaten in several hours. Run down to one of the hundreds of takeaway places in Edinburgh, and pick up a Munchie Box (basically a pizza box filled with deep fried goodies like deep fried pizza, wings, pakoras, fries, onion rings, donair meat... basically a box of deep fried food.)

images

6:45pm Edinburgh Time (1:45pm EDT) Bring back food to find out that Marc Bergevin has acquired Antoine Vermette for a 2nd round pick. After last year and Vanek, immediately suspect voodoo magic.

giphy.gif

7:00pm Edinburgh Time (2:00pm EDT) - Wipe dribbling grease of chin after munchie box consumption. Hear that Joffrey Lupul has been traded for a 1st round pick. Deal gets voided after Lupul breaks his wrist answering the phone to waive his NTC.

NYk87mA.gif

7:30pm Edinburgh Time (2:30pm EDT) - Darren Dreger announces that the Toronto Maple Leafs have traded Dion Phaneuf to the LA Kings for Mike Richards and.... nothing else. Everything goes blank for a few minutes after that. Come around to a press conference of Dave Nonis believing Richards is still a "quality NHL centre."

betrayal-in-braveheart-o.gif

8:00pm Edinburgh Time (3:00pm EDT) - Final bell sounds. Final assessment - 2nd round pick for Winnik, 6th round picks for Booth and Jokinen, and the Phaneuf debaucle. Try to remember that this only brings us closer to McDavid. Refill scotch glass more than I should.

scotch.gif

9:00pm Edinburgh Time (4:00pm EDT) - Log into HFBoards and immediately get into drunken argument as Kings fan troll Leafs forums talking about how the Leafs 'should've added' on Phaneuf. Immediately channel my inner Marc Bergevin to cast voodoo curses....with lacklustre results.

ron-dancing-animated.gif

9:30pm Edinburgh Time (4:30pm EDT) - Notice the mostly empty scotch bottle and remember I'm going on a 12 hour tour the next day. Immediately start counting down to the draft and begin to have such wonderful dreams....

Bq79cQs.png

So... how do you spend YOUR Trade Deadline?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad