Speculation: Trade Deadline Predictions

Which Coyotes will be moved prior to the March 3rd trade deadline?

• Chychrun

• Schmaltz

• Gostisbehere

• Crouse

• Ritchie

• Bjugstad

• Boyd

• Fischer

• Vejmelka

• McBain

• Hayton

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I removed those from the poll that I thought had little chance of being dealt, but it's been a few years since I was an NHL GM...so who knows.

1672846357502.png

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think Bjugstad and Gostisbehere will be moved, I think everyone else stays.

Small chance someone pays the price for Chychrun, and BA won't move off of his target get, so I think it's a small pct% that he gets traded.

Reactions: Mosby

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Small chance someone pays the price for Chychrun, and BA won't move off of his target get, so I think it's a small pct% that he gets traded.

Desperation breeds irrational decisions. Some GM, looking to save his job, will make the leap on Chychrun.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wonder if Bill is getting calls on McBain? Great depth player with cost control, just what competing teams are looking for. What do you think offer would have to look like to peek Bill's interest?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we get a first for him I would personally drive him to sky harbor.
Yeah? I’m not so sure. Depends on the 1st. If it’s extremely late, I don’t think I’d bother.

The odds of getting a kid that can conceivably (I’m taking 82 game PACE, at this point) put up 15g, 250hits, and 4-5 fights as a rookie are pretty low. There aren’t a lot of players in their primes in the NHL these days that can do that, let alone rookies fresh out of college playing their first year pro.

McBain looks, to me at least, to have better odds at being an impact player for his current team than a first in the 25+ range normally would. I wouldn’t have said that a year ago. But he’s been impressive in the NHL already. Late 1sts often never even get that far.

Then again, we have a seemingly strong scouting staff and the ‘23 draft looks like it could be a very good class. So, maybe it’s a no-brainer. But I’d have to stop and think about it personally. Just using past precedent on picks in that range versus what McBainhas already shown. I think it’s close enough to be a tough call, anyway.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
Yeah? I’m not so sure. Depends on the 1st. If it’s extremely late, I don’t think I’d bother.

The odds of getting a kid that can conceivably (I’m taking 82 game PACE, at this point) put up 15g, 250hits, and 4-5 fights as a rookie are pretty low. There aren’t a lot of players in their primes in the NHL these days that can do that, let alone rookies fresh out of college playing their first year pro.

McBain looks, to me at least, to have better odds at being an impact player for his current team than a first in the 25+ range normally would. I wouldn’t have said that a year ago. But he’s been impressive in the NHL already. Late 1sts often never even get that far.

Then again, we have a seemingly strong scouting staff and the ‘23 draft looks like it could be a very good class. So, maybe it’s a no-brainer. But I’d have to stop and think about it personally. Just using past precedent on picks in that range versus what McBainhas already shown. I think it’s close enough to be a tough call, anyway.
Totally fair. I like McBain a lot and hope we keep him. I don’t think anyone would offer us a 23 1st round pick for him. If they do I think GMBA would have to take that offer and use it as ammo for trading up.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

I agree with everything except Bjugstad being moved. If he signed a prove it contract, well he's proving it.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Wouldn't surprise me if the 'Yotes traded Hayton @ the deadline. He still hasn't made me forget about Dvorak. I'm not saying we didn't do well in the trade, I'm saying that I was expecting Hayton to step up and to get at least the production of Dvorak. I my opinion, that's a low bar.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I agree with everything except Bjugstad being moved. If he signed a prove it contract, well he's proving it.
I think that's exactly why they might trade him. I figure guys like Bjugstad were brought in to (hopefully) prove themselves and eventually be flipped for draft assets, just like Gostisbehere.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Wouldn't surprise me if the 'Yotes traded Hayton @ the deadline. He still hasn't made me forget about Dvorak. I'm not saying we didn't do well in the trade, I'm saying that I was expecting Hayton to step up and to get at least the production of Dvorak. I my opinion, that's a low bar.
I wouldn't be surprised either. Think he'd have to be an add on to a package though. What would he be worth on his own? Not much I'd think.

Reactions: Schemp

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I think that's exactly why they might trade him. I figure guys like Bjugstad were brought in to (hopefully) prove themselves and eventually be flipped for draft assets, just like Gostisbehere.
Both scenarios are predicated on what was discussed during negotiations and I admit not knowing or even bother researching Bjugstad's personal life to see how important it would be for him to stay.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Both scenarios are predicated on what was discussed during negotiations and I admit not knowing or even bother researching Bjugstad's personal life to see how important it would be for him to stay.
He's on a one year deal. Don't think any promises were made beyond that. Business as usual I think.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I wouldn't be surprised either. Think he'd have to be an add on to a package though. What would he be worth on his own? Not much I'd think.
I think McBain forced him out and believe BA wants at least 9 top 6 forwards, which Hayton is not. With our scouts, wouldn't surprise me if we do find a "gem" in a 1 for 1 trade. But like you, not expecting it.

He's on a one year deal. Don't think any promises were made beyond that. Business as usual I think.
That's what a "prove it" contract is. Boyd signed 1 and so didn't O'Brien.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I can see us moving Bjugstad because he's doing so well and we see the promise in McBain to take another step up and take the #3 center spot. But I'd be ok, actually happy to resign Bjugstad in the offseason.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
That's what a "prove it" contract is. Boyd signed 1 and so didn't O'Brien.
I get that, but I see our intent as prove it to the league, increase your value. Not prove it so we will re-sign you here. They want lots of draft capital and reclamation projects have been a big part of it.

Edit: I didn't choose him in the poll though. Just don't think a deal happens with him.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I can see us moving Bjugstad because he's doing so well and we see the promise in McBain to take another step up and take the #3 center spot. But I'd be ok, actually happy to resign Bjugstad in the offseason.
Bjugstad likely wants to be traded and probably signed here so that he could be traded. Unfortunately, I think we’d be looking at a 4th round pick as a return.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad