Trade Deadline Prediction

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
That aside, he has a point. At some point we will have to flip prospects/picks for players. You're not going to win the Cup with a whole team of 20-year-olds.
Sure but why nitpick that and throw in a Harrington quote just because you know it will bait a bunch of posters instead of nitpicking that some posters honestly believe we will trade away over 25% of our current roster at the TDL which is a much more valid discussion point for this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
that Grigorenko deal, If nothing else you Cody Hodgson him, 80%+ O-zone starts against he worst competition and plenty of PP1 time, then sell him as a potential top 6 C

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I'm fine with all of that except the Grigorenko trade. Get another 2nd rounder for Stewart and then Murray has plenty of ammo to move up at the draft. No need to give up on Grigorenko at this point unless it's in a deal for a clear upgrade.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That aside, he has a point. At some point we will have to flip prospects/picks for players. You're not going to win the Cup with a whole team of 20-year-olds.

Sure but none of the guys we're talking about will be 20 by the time we're actually a Cup contender. Guys like Girgensons and Ristolainen will be around Myers and Ennis' age more or less. The other guys will be 21, 22, 23, etc. Players, especially high-end ones, enter their primes a lot earlier than common wisdom seems to indicate. I agree we need to trade assets for many reasons, including needing more proven, experienced players, but that doesn't mean we have no use for acquiring more picks, especially when it comes to dealing players we are either going to get picks or nothing for.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't see how Grigorenko for Washington's 1st helps us. We are very unlikely to get a better player with that 1st. Even in the unlikely scenario they are equal players, it sets us back 3 years. Bad trade for sure.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'll be floored if the TDL nets positive talent, much less addresses a position of need long term. If it does, I'd wager Murray feels he must while the iron is hot (or the team is injured as **** to the point of it not mattering) because he expects options to be limited this summer.

I agree with OP in that trying to bundle assets for a bubble team's first (or further along prospect) will be a priority.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't see how Grigorenko for Washington's 1st helps us. We are very unlikely to get a better player with that 1st. Even in the unlikely scenario they are equal players, it sets us back 3 years. Bad trade for sure.
Nah, it makes sense in the abstract if you make the following assumptions:
Next season:
Girgensons
Vet C
Reinhart/McEichel

Future:
McEichel
Reinhart
Girgensons (or other defensive C with Z on the W)

That makes Grigs either move to wing or get squeezed out of the lineup. That first has extra years of cost control and, if developing nicely in lesser leagues, can get flipped to add to the contending version of this team.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Nah, it makes sense in the abstract if you make the following assumptions:
Next season:
Girgensons
Vet C
Reinhart/McEichel

Future:
McEichel
Reinhart
Girgensons (or other defensive C with Z on the W)

That makes Grigs either move to wing or get squeezed out of the lineup. That first has extra years of cost control and, if developing nicely in lesser leagues, can get flipped to add to the contending version of this team.

That doesn't make sense, sorry. Pointing out center slots that may or may not be filled as expected doesn't suddenly mean we should move other centers. We have one center on our roster who can actually play center in the NHL. Everyone knows full well that there's no such thing as having too many centers, so why are we going to pretend that's an issue for a team that doesn't have any proven NHL centers? What makes McEichel or Reinhart more likely to play center for us next season? We haven't yet secured last place. While I want to add a veteran center in free agency, get back to me when it actually happens. There are only a few available who would be legit top 9 players and whoever it is can play wing, just like Reinhart, Girgensons, and Grigorenko could.

Washington is very likely to be a playoff team. That pick simply isn't that valuable. If someone is intent on getting rid of Grigorenko it makes more sense to do so after his bridge contract expires.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Grigs to Washington is funny for no other reason than McPhee said the Caps didn't even have Grigs with a 1st round grade. I know he isn't there anymore, but I'm sure there's some holdover with the amateur/pro scouts.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
-In a stunning deal, the Buffalo Sabres trade forwards Chris Stewart and Mikhael Grigorenko to the Washington Capitals, for a 2015 first round pick. ...

Murray is also not sold on the idea of Grigorenko as a top 6 winger. He is far more impressed with the progression of Joel Armia and does not care for Grigorenko's questionable grit to retrieve loose pucks and board battle.

That deal is atrocious. Grigorenko is about to break into the NHL and has progressed a lot in the last year and you want another mid first-round draft pick?

Adding Stewart provides the Caps with immediate grit and top 9 scoring for their playoff push.

It doesn't do either of those things.

-THE BUFFALO SABRES TRADE GOALTENDER JHONAS ENROTH TO THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS IN EXCHANGE FOR A 2015 SECOND ROUND DRAFT PICK.
-THE BUFFALO SABRES TRADE GOALTENDER MICHAEL NEURVIRTH IN EXCHANGE FOR THE ANAHEIM DUCKS 2015 3rd ROUND DRAFT PICK.

Don't you think we need a goaltender more than we need another 2nd and 3rd round pick? Who do you have in goal next year?

-The Buffalo Sabres trade center Torrey Mitchell to the New York Rangers for a 2015 third round draft pick. This deal really could involve several buyers at the trade deadline, just a hunch it's NY. Sabres GM Tim Murray has every intention to dial Mitchell on July 1, 2015 to sign the forward to a 2 year contract, as his 4C, moving McCormick to the wing on the fourth line.

Murray probably will do something like this, but it's risky and not worth it. If you like Mitchell, just re-sign him. We really don't need more third rounders.

-THE BUFFALO SABRES TRADE FORWARD DREW STAFFORD TO THE WINNIPEG JETS IN EXCHANGE FOR THE JETS 2015 SECOND ROUND PICK. Winnipeg is unwilling to depart with a first rounder for some of the higher end UFA'S.

This will probably happen too. Personally, I'd rather give Stafford a 3-year extension. We need established wingers and vets the next few years. Drew plays hard and has developed into a good 2-way forward who can play in all situations. Again, his presence is more valuable to me than a 2nd.

Murray refrains from trading Hodgson, due to his desire to keep his cap hit for floor purposes this year. Hodgson will be dangled at the draft.

There is no point in even considering trading Hodgson until he (hopefully) turns his game around. He's got very little value right now.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
My predictions:

-Stafford, Stewart, Mitchell, and one of the goalies all shipped out, maybe even Benoit or Mezsaros too if anyone wants them
-One or two second round picks acquired, maybe a third, some late pick as well
-One or two AHL-aged prospects acquired, probably at least one dman

Bold, I know

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
The grig trade is the only one I wonder about. The caps look like a playoff team and it could end up 20th overall. Not enough.

At the least I think we could ship him to a Western team desperate to push for the playoffs, but maybe not sliding in yet. Like LA, Colorodo, Dallas, even Minnesota. Another further % chance in the lottery helps. Even then, I don't exactly like the trade.

It might help if the OP were to clear things up and mention these moves aren't for quantity purposes, as we have enough of that. But we could potentially move multiple picks with ease to slide into the top 10.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
My prediction: 3 moves

One selling a goaltender
One selling either Stewart or Stafford
One buying a minor prospect whose name came up in other talks

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
- Stafford to Winnipeg for a 3rd and the rights to Burmistrov. (Salary retained).
- Stewart to Nashville/Boston for a 2nd. (Salary retained).
- Mitchell+ to Chicago for McNeill. (Salary retained).

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Some guy on TSN Edmonton said that there's considerable interest around the league for Josh Gorges... but he is a 4th period hack writer so who knows.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Some guy on TSN Edmonton said that there's considerable interest around the league for Josh Gorges... but he is a 4th period hack writer so who knows.

Gorges would make a lot of sense for a lot of teams. That's not hard to figure out.

I don't think Murray trades him unless someone overpays. He's not going to flip him for the 2nd he traded to get him. He's not going to trade him for the typical value return.

The only way Gorges gets traded, is if he is the piece to acquiring a prospect/young NHLer that Murray covets.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

It figures, rep precedes real value in trade deadline season

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Gorges would make a lot of sense for a lot of teams. That's not hard to figure out.

I don't think Murray trades him unless someone overpays. He's not going to flip him for the 2nd he traded to get him. He's not going to trade him for the typical value return.

The only way Gorges gets traded, is if he is the piece to acquiring a prospect/young NHLer that Murray covets.
This is what was basically brought up. Teams are calling for him now but he believes Gorges is the type of player that a GM would raise the price for last minute on deadline day to try and steal from other teams and put his team over the top.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I don't see Gorges going anywhere. He wants to be here and waived his NTC to come here. We've got him locked up for a few more seasons. He's, by all accounts, a really good veteran presence around the team, and outside of the last handful of games, he's been a positive presence on the ice too.

I've no doubt there are playoff teams out there who think this guy puts them over the top or solidifies the depth they need to make a deep run, etc., but I think the role he fills here as a leader carries far more value to the Sabres than whatever those teams would trade for him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't see grigirenko getting traded anytime soon. The earliest would be around the draft only if buffalo is certain to be picking 1 or 2.

Gorges could be traded but I don't see how. He is about a. $4M cap hit with 3 more years left. Not many can even afford him.I could see him traded has part of a multiplayer hockey trade that is off nhl players..not picks/prospects. I see him more likely moved at the 16 deadline.

Neuvirth/enroth ear...winner gets contract, loser gets dealt. With Neuvirth, buffalo traded their high 3rd for him, so I see them insisting on a 2nd coming back.

Stewart gets traded with salary retained

Stafford gets traded with salary retained...but he could be resigned. I see 2nd + but could be a 1st.

Mitchell can get back a 3rd or a respectable prospect.

Meszaros with retained salary is dealt for S&G.

Kaleta could be dealt for a 6th.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Yeah, I don't see Gorges going anywhere. He wants to be here and waived his NTC to come here. We've got him locked up for a few more seasons. He's, by all accounts, a really good veteran presence around the team, and outside of the last handful of games, he's been a positive presence on the ice too.

I've no doubt there are playoff teams out there who think this guy puts them over the top or solidifies the depth they need to make a deep run, etc., but I think the role he fills here as a leader carries far more value to the Sabres than whatever those teams would trade for him.

Very much this.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Why would a contender trade for Grigorenko at the deadline when he hasn't even proved himself at the NHL level ?

BringBuffaloStanley

Nov 16, 2014
we are fishing for firsts. although plausible, unlikely stewart or staff alone, reel in a first. it's merely a means to package something that will bring in another first. caps or whoever would obviously probably send him to the ahl.

there is just a fundamental difference in opinion on here in terms of the hopes for Grigorenko. I do not see the speed or grit, I'm sorry. If you are playing laws of averages, second overall picks do not turn into busts.

Eichel
Reinhart
Girgensons

I dont get a lot of the shift Girgensons to wing stuff....someone has to be that great 3c shut down guy that we put against other teams top guys. we found him, he's right here. I think people get overly excited about these prospects. Be happy with what Girgensons is: a shut down guy, who most likely peaks around 20-25 goals.

I see nothing to indicate Grigorenko reaches levels surpassing either of those three guys. Certainly nowhere near the level of a Filip Forsberg, even Tomas Hertl.

I would reshuffle the deck and flip him for a Koneckny, Boeser etc. in a heart beat.

Any chance of yanking a first from a playoff bubble team involves also providing them most likely with something for the future and the present.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad