Speculation: Trade Deadline Poll WWBD?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Don't bring Gill and Kostitsyn! :laugh: Even a 5 year old boy would have understand the necessity of making those trades.

Usually sellers at the deadline are teams 8-15 points out of the playoffs, not teams in 3rd place in the conference and 2nd in the division.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't see it selling low on Eller. I would like to keep him. But he is a very attractive asset to many teams and could help us get a top 6 winger.

I would rather move guys like Briere, Bourque and Gionta, but come on now....that won't get us the help we need/want

If a team is trading us a top 6 winger for Eller right now it's only a rental...so trading Eller for 2-3 months of a rental is dumb. If you trade Eller for a winger his age, it won't be a top 6 one. Why would a team trade a young, top 6 winger for a guy with 1 point in 20 games?

Moving an older player or two is a step in the right direction if the return is good. Adding a couple 2nd or 3rd rounders is never a bad idea, plus it frees up cap space and gives the GM options.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Usually sellers at the deadline are teams 8-15 points out of the playoffs, not teams in 3rd place in the conference and 2nd in the division.

It's not because your trading players that you don't want to bring back that you're considered a seller. The Sharks last year weren't sellers because they moved Murray and Clowe 2 players UFA to be that management knew they weren't brininging back. If Bergevin and the Habs have no plan on bringing Gionta, Murray, Bouillon, even Markov back then might as well try and get something back in return.

It's smart management, something we haven't been use to here since he always lose out and the players end up walking out on us with absolutely nothing to show for

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
If a team is trading us a top 6 winger for Eller right now it's only a rental...so trading Eller for 2-3 months of a rental is dumb. If you trade Eller for a winger his age, it won't be a top 6 one. Why would a team trade a young, top 6 winger for a guy with 1 point in 20 games?

Moving an older player or two is a step in the right direction if the return is good. Adding a couple 2nd or 3rd rounders is never a bad idea, plus it frees up cap space and gives the GM options.

The only way it would work is if Eller is part of a bigger package which I that point Bergevin should consider even if he is selling low. He has been playing bad for a while now

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

We're gonna get embarassed in playoff like last year.

We're not build for playoff hockey.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's not because your trading players that you don't want to bring back that you're considered a seller. The Sharks last year weren't sellers because they moved Murray and Clowe 2 players UFA to be that management knew they weren't brininging back. If Bergevin and the Habs have no plan on bringing Gionta, Murray, Bouillon, even Markov back then might as well try and get something back in return.

It's smart management, something we haven't been use to here since he always lose out and the players end up walking out on us with absolutely nothing to show for

The problem is that, with Markov and Gionta to a lesser extent. You have to justify to your owner and your team why you are trading those players despite being in 3
rd place.

You can't compare Clowe and Murray to Markov, that's like saying "don't bench Eller because Pittsburgh never benches Crosby". Markov on a lot of nights is the top d-man and most nights is at worse the #2, playing 22-28 minutes. You don't replace that with Murray Tinordi or Bouillon.

I think MB has been pretty clear that he wants to retain Markov.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The problem is that, with Markov and Gionta to a lesser extent. You have to justify to your owner and your team why you are trading those players despite being in 3
rd place.

You can't compare Clowe and Murray to Markov, that's like saying "don't bench Eller because Pittsburgh never benches Crosby". Markov on a lot of nights is the top d-man and most nights is at worse the #2, playing 22-28 minutes. You don't replace that with Murray Tinordi or Bouillon.

I think MB has been pretty clear that he wants to retain Markov.

You have to stop with the comparing of the other team, at the end of the day you don't need to justify to your owner why your trading them, it's very simple because your not planing on bringing them back at the money they're looking for. And if you are, well hurry up and sign them before the deadline because once we go into the summer they're gone once they know they can test the market some team will be desperate and offer more and don't give me the ******** of a player really wants to stay here. It happens all the time, Sundin in Toronto, Alfredsson last year..... I like Markov as much as the next guy I really do, but it's a business and I ain't losing him for nothing

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
The Sharks trading Murray last year is equivalent to the Habs trading Drewiske or Bouillon this year. He was 7th in TOI for d-men (8th if you count Hannan). In no universe does this compare to the Habs trading Markov. Markov is a huge part of our team.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Price showed at the Olympics he could step up, now he needs to show it in the NHL. That's the biggest test.

Only in MTL that our goalie ALWAYS has to save our ass 'cause we suck.

So if Price don't win it all, you want him traded?

Halifaxhab*

No where did I say it was 1-for-1. Look at it this way. The Habs call you to get one of your young talented wingers, do you take the older scraps? No you ask for Eller if you're still rebuilding or Markov if you are close to being a Cup Contender

And anyone who has scouted the games can easily see it is hard for young guys in MTL. They aren't exactly given the best circumstances to succeed. Eller is not really put into a prime situation. Besides, big C with upside are coveted.

That said, I don't exactly want to trade Eller. But if the return was right, I'm not against it either.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
jos-a-bank.png

This is probably why MB can't get a deal done. He thinks it's like buying suits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad