Salary Cap: Trade deadline is rapidly approaching... time to wake up Sleepy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I guess I don’t see the “respectable” in his season…his first step has looked like it’s gone…we all know Letang is Letang but Dumo has not been able to cover for him as he used to more times than not…that has not been a very good pair for the last month and they should not play 22+ minutes a night

They are pushing offense and it's not like it is only Letang being Letang. There's a fair share to why being behind line one has its drawbacks.

Reactions: Andy99

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I do not see any trade that can help this team that is possible...unless you get rid of Rust, Malkin , Kapenen or Zucker. You would have to package up some young players for Kapenen.. just bad trades..

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Again, what does Yohe know? Hextall supposedly runs a tight ship, too.
It’s an odd thing to make up that he loves ZAR. Judging by his lack of moves in trying WBS players over a turd who has scored one goal this season, I think it’s safe to say that he likes ZAR.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Don't disagree. Before I make judgements on any of them, I want to understand the Letang situation first. If he bolts, I think you have to keep all 4, no?

Dumo-Marino
Matheson-Rudwedel
Pettersson-POJ
Freidman

Barring trades or signing, that still looks rough. Resigning Letang obviously opens up a lot more possibilities. Pettersson, like Zucker, is a luxury would should be trying to move on from. If for nothing else, then to accommodate the raises for UFAs and RFAs.

If Letang bolts, we've got much larger issues because no one on our blueline comes close to replacing what he brings.

You'd need to go the UFA route (or make a trade that would cost assets we don't really have) to fix that hole.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Would you guys swap Bleuger for Chytil with the Rangers? There's a thread on the trade board and I tossed that out there. I like Chytil and his game.

I even expanded the deal a bit to include Kravtsov. Bleuger+Poulin for Chytil+Kravtsov
I wouldn't. Only reason for going after Chytil would be youth and size. If our window is closing then it's too late for a youth movement.

From what I'm seeing Blueger is better offensively and defensively than Chytil.

Blue is a workaholic and in his prime. He sets a good example for his line and can be used in a lot of different situations. He effectively shuts down good players.

He's an admirable PK'er and good communicator. His teammates like him a lot.

Definitely don't wanna lose him if the return isn't solid. We already know Blue works here in this system. Chytil would be a question mark. Could easily weaken our position.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If Letang bolts, we've got much larger issues because no one on our blueline comes close to replacing what he brings.

You'd need to go the UFA route (or make a trade that would cost assets we don't really have) to fix that hole.

I agree to an extent, but I wonder if a different RD might make the coach not run Letang and Dumo like 26 minutes a night.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree to an extent, but I wonder if a different RD might make the coach not run Letang and Dumo like 26 minutes a night.

I think Sullivan's always going to use his top pairing a lot, regardless of who is on it. The difference is instead of Letang getting 26 minutes per night, it would be Marino getting that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Sullivan's always going to use his top pairing a lot, regardless of who is on it. The difference is instead of Letang getting 26 minutes per night, it would be Marino getting that.

16-17 tells a different story. Although, that bleeds into the forward usage as well which we've never seen since.

The coaching with the 16-17 defense was honestly one of the best coaching performances I've seen.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
16-17 tells a different story. Although, that bleeds into the forward usage as well which we've never seen since.

The coaching with the 16-17 defense was honestly one of the best coaching performances I've seen.

Yeah but there's quite the gap between Letang and Hainsey. I would venture the guess that Dumo-Marino (for example) would get more minutes than Dumo-Hainsey but less than Dumo-Letang.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I don’t agree. I’d move POJ in a second tbh.
I'd move POJ and Petts in a nano second. Neither is "can't move". Our whole defense should in theory should be movable in the right deals. There is nothing special there but an aging Tanger. I literally don't care if they move a NHL roster or prospect defenseman at this point.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
honestly, the way Dumo is trending, I’d rather move him…
I'm with you Andy. And I said as much months ago. He would likely command a good return. And very likely we'd get younger, and become even more powerful!:madfire:

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Since we're really not a cup contender we can. TBH I don't think his play has been all that good this year anyhow.

What qualifies a cup contender?........ and please dont say a 1st round exit the last couple years because past seasons have no bearing on current.

I mean if you say colorado, florida tampa carolina and that's it I can agree I guess

but

anyone else and we are right there.

I consider a contender pretty much any team in the top 4 in each conference. Playoffs come and anything can happen. One of those "top" teams lose a player or 2 or run into a hot goalie its a whole new game

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What qualifies a cup contender?........ and please dont say a 1st round exit the last couple years because past seasons have no bearing on current.

I mean if you say colorado, florida tampa carolina and that's it I can agree I guess

but

anyone else and we are right there.

I consider a contender pretty much any team in the top 4 in each conference. Playoffs come and anything can happen. One of those "top" teams lose a player or 2 or run into a hot goalie its a whole new game
Not sure about Carolina but definitely TB and the AV's. FLA AND CAR look really good also. Vegas and TOR. We're in the top eight but toward the bottom. I just see too many good teams to have to try and go through. No easy path. And with our cores age relative to these other teams, that's also a big variable against us. That and the fact that we can never seem to get healthy.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Can you guys explain something? There's one thing that's always bothered me on this board.

Many of you claim to be convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Pens are incapable of going deep, right? I've heard takes like that since last summer.
So then if the end result is set in stone, why are you so concerned about the motions the team will go through before inevitably concluding their season that way?
Why do you care about which 4th liners are being played, who we should use on the bottom pair, who we should acquire to play with Malkin and who our backup is?
Isn't that just a waste of energy and time? It will all end the same way no matter what moves the coaching staff and management make, correct?

Personally, I find this league quite random and am NOT convinced the Pens are going out early or late, nor do I believe that the way the Pens are playing right now will somehow directly project onto how they play in May. There's like 30 games left lol.
I have also not yet ruled out that the opponent could flounder in a series, as we've seen many times before. The Penguins don't have copyrights on that.

I have seen too many seasons where people's predictions end up so off it's embarrassing. This year was no exception, with all the takes when we were around .500. in November.
Remember when Columbus, Philly and NYI were well in the mix and people were talking about finishing below them? Look at the standings now.
You would think that would be a humbling, learning experience for those people. Perhaps they don't know as much as they think?

Maybe you don't have the faintest idea what will happen in these playoffs, just like me?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Can you guys explain something? There's one thing that's always bothered me on this board.

Many of you claim to be convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Pens are incapable of going deep, right? I've heard takes like that since last summer.
So then if the end result is set in stone, why are you so concerned about the motions the team will go through before inevitably concluding their season that way?
Why do you care about which 4th liners are being played, who we should use on the bottom pair, who we should acquire to play with Malkin and who our backup is?
Isn't that just a waste of energy and time? It will all end the same way no matter what moves the coaching staff and management make, correct?

Personally, I find this league quite random and am NOT convinced the Pens are going out early or late, nor do I believe that the way the Pens are playing right now will somehow directly project onto how they play in May. There's like 30 games left lol.
I have also not yet ruled out that the opponent could flounder in a series, as we've seen many times before. The Penguins don't have copyrights on that.

I have seen too many seasons where people's predictions end up so off it's embarrassing. This year was no exception, with all the takes when we were around .500. in November.
Remember when Columbus, Philly and NYI were well in the mix and people were talking about finishing below them? Look at the standings now.
You would think that would be a humbling, learning experience for those people. Perhaps they don't know as much as they think?

Maybe you don't have the faintest idea what will happen in these playoffs, just like me?
yes, but unlike you I'll never admit it.:silly:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
POJ...I mean, wouldn't that same theory apply to Marcus Pettersson? They don't seem to have issues with him?

Pettersson had a season where he took more hits than any other Dman in the league. We're talking about a guy who constantly takes hits to make a play and the only player who shoves anyone around the crease.

POJ gets knocked off the puck easily even down in WBS. Can't trust him to do anything except whip the puck around the boards

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The logic of "the Penguins aren't a cup contender because they haven't won anything recently" can be extended to literally every single team in the NHL outside of Tampa Bay.

I looked at the stats a while ago so I don't have them on me, but I'm pretty sure the only teams who have averaged more than 1 series win per playoff run since 2018 are the Lightning and Bruins. Everyone else has won fewer than 4 playoff rounds in the last 4 years. If the Penguins aren't a contender because they haven't won recently, that means that Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Florida and such are also not contenders.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Pettersson had a season where he took more hits than any other Dman in the league. We're talking about a guy who constantly takes hits to make a play and the only player who shoves anyone around the crease.

POJ gets knocked off the puck easily even down in WBS. Can't trust him to do anything except whip the puck around the boards

Does Petts really move people off the crease? I mean if he used his big body more and had a little more meat on his bones I dont think I would have as much a problem with him.

The issue is he has minutes sheltered and being paid the way he is its a complete waste. He's playing what 16 mins a night last I checked. When he does play more mins you see him getting walked more and more penalties against.

I dont hate Petts, I just hate his utilization for what he brings. I'd much rather have some toughness back there and a little more minutes eaten. If a D-man goes he would be my 1st choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad