Salary Cap: Trade deadline is rapidly approaching... time to wake up Sleepy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Last few posts:

I wasn’t sure if you guys were aware but Pens scouts have been at a bunch o Canucks games.

That bulk package of stuff you won’t really miss wouldn’t get it done though.

Maybe I don't like either coach. Which would be true. The fact that muppets here hang on to regular season success is why I mentioned Disco. Disco was better and did more with losing his big 3 and whack winger depth, during the regular season.

Sully had it good and then completely lost the plot after the Caps loss.

It's the JR Pf Chang's special of shit he likes. Aka his shit.

He can go f*** himself and take his shit for better wares. He owes us for how he f***ed the pooch here with the cap and assets.

Also Kapanen isn't bulk package. ZAR is solid defensively, your team sucks ass defensively.

Edit : you're maybe right. Who would need a player that is good defensively and is on a top 3 pk unit. Definitely not the worst pk team in the league with a minus 8 differential.

View attachment 509900

They're huge and use that size too. Whoever gets them in R1 will come out battered.

Dallas and LA had their way with us and their defense and forwards weren't as heavy as the NYR.

I'd be more worried about the useless sack the first line is. Geno will produce regardless of his wingers but the first line in the playoffs the last 3 seasons isn't a one off. That might be a trend and maybe they break out of it. But if they aren't getting Geno a proper winger that also helps Kapanen on the line too, they're f***ed because Sully will freeze with his line up like usual.

LMAO.

Kapanen does nothing for Vancouver. Nothing in the offer fills a need. Other teams would beat it. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

but ok. Just argue your take I guess.

Other teams also know Boeser's rfa issue. Your team is boned Cap wise.

Enjoy. We don't really think about you lot at all. But Brock probably wishes he can play with his mate, Jake.

Brock's style would work with Geno and might be worth his QO. Only teams that would afford Brock's QO aren't teams that will give up much because they'll be rebuilding themselves. So those teams will also want to dump salary.

I think what Geno's line is missing isn't a Neal. Kapanen can shoot. It's a Jokinen type. A smart playmaker that is also defensively responsible.

Of the non playoff teams, who's out there the Pens can get even as a rental?

Edit:

Vladimir Namestnikov - fits the bill, although not physical and might make the line soft according to some here, but smart at both ends, gold hands with playmaking and Ufa. He can also play LW/C.

Nick Paul - Big and physical and he plays the pk. More of a playmaker in the NHL but less consistent than Namestnikov. Also a free agent at end of season and could be a good add for Geno's line with being able to play LW/C. He's been mentioned by a lot here as well.

If it's Paul I'd want to get Josh Brown as well as a depth 7th RHD rental. For the size queen's, Paul and Brown fit the bill. Namestnikov adds more skill than Paul but Paul could be what Geno needs and he has decent hands.

Paul-Malkin-Kapanen has a better mix than what he's getting.

But I kind of like Namestnikov. He's fast, smart, has better numbers and is also a very good player on both special teams and he's not as soft as he's made to seem.

Marchand vs Namestnikov

Now team mates lol

Namestnikov-Malkin-Kapanen - This helps all involved.

Actually the more I think about it the more I'd be down with Namestnikov being the lad they trade for as a rental. He's smarter with the puck than Nick Paul, offensive hockey IQ is better. Geno deserves that much.

Continue :)

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Can’t remember where I saw it, but all of ERod’s production has come playing with Sid and Jake, something like 30 points in 34 games. Rust is historically great with Rust. There’s instant depth right there if Sully can see it.

twitter is going a flutter with rumors that we are gonna being back Phil. Please no.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Can’t remember where I saw it, but all of ERod’s production has come playing with Sid and Jake, something like 30 points in 34 games. Rust is historically great with Rust. There’s instant depth right there if Sully can see it.

twitter is going a flutter with rumors that we are gonna being back Phil. Please no.
This would be the ultimate sleepy move - complete laziness.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Looked into this because it didn’t sound right off the top of my head. NST has Erod with 22 5v5 points. Just two points with 87 and 59. Maybe I’m reading it wrong?

Either way, yeah move Rust or Jake down a line. Pretty surprised Sullivan hasn’t. He loved flexing Kessel to L3 to make 3 scoring lines.

Not sure id go Erod next to Sid though. He’s better at C imo.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Looked into this because it didn’t sound right off the top of my head. NST has Erod with 22 5v5 points. Just two points with 87 and 59. Maybe I’m reading it wrong?

Either way, yeah move Rust or Jake down a line. Pretty surprised Sullivan hasn’t. He loved flexing Kessel to L3 to make 3 scoring lines.

Wasn't aware NST tracked line combos like that. Gonna use it all the time now.
Cheers :dd:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
upload_2022-2-23_6-8-9.png

Unfortunately I can only encompass so many stats in a screenshot. You can scroll much further to the right.

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-23_6-4-33.png
    upload_2022-2-23_6-4-33.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
  • upload_2022-2-23_6-6-5.png
    upload_2022-2-23_6-6-5.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s wild how similar disco and sully are in their later years; also depressing.
This is a stretch. Bylsma was an AHL coach who was clearly over his head. Sully is not in over his head. He's just beyond stubborn.

But if you look around the NHL, pretty much all coaches are stubborn. That's every coach's weakness and why a lot of them are fired quickly. When people in Tampa were clamoring for Coop to be fired, I laughed. I was like the dude actually coaches and adjusts pretty well. I think Sully does, too.

But in today's NHL, these teams focus/listen for all of 2-3 seasons and then it is lost on them for some dumb reason.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would be content if the Penguins added Halak and Schenn from Vancouver and left it at that for the deadline, but I believe I heard that Halak has no interest in waiving his NTC.

I think Schenn and Halak would both probably cost a 3rd rounder, so I think you might be able to pull off those two with a package of ZAR and a 3rd, maybe with another small add on the Penguins end.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I would be content if the Penguins added Halak and Schenn from Vancouver and left it at that for the deadline, but I believe I heard that Halak has no interest in waiving his NTC.

I think Schenn and Halak would both probably cost a 3rd rounder, so I think you might be able to pull off those two with a package of ZAR and a 3rd, maybe with another small add on the Penguins end.

I'm on board with Schenn to beef up the 3rd pairing no doubt. Halak is probably a no go with his comments. I think Hextall plans to run our current goalie situation, so we just have to hope Jarry's growth continues.

I'm still really hoping we find a guy to spark the forwards. I worry with so many guys looking disjointed.

Zucker & Kapanen being such big question marks sucks. Cause I know they are good players...well if Zucker can get healthy for two games in a row that'd be a start.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
This is sad….sorry, not getting the Rackell love and that’s the only forward mentioned…can we get Troy Terry instead? Lol

Trade deadline primer: A look at the Penguins’ possible targets, assets to move, salary cap considerations and more
Rakell's 5v5 production the last 2 years is marginally better than 2021-22 Kap's, so I agree he's likely not the answer. He's improved this year, but not enough.
In this Eastern conference you have to take a bigger swing than that.

Halak is definitely the backup for me, were he willing. Hard pass on Greiss after his comments about playing here...

On D I wouldn't trust Marc Staal at all. Justin Braun's a realistic candidate, but I'm not sure how much better he is than Ruhwedel...if at all.
The other names they listed are pie in the sky.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rakell's 5v5 production the last 2 years is marginally better than 2021-22 Kap's, so I agree he's likely not the answer. He's improved this year, but not enough.
In this Eastern conference you have to take a bigger swing than that.

Halak is definitely the backup for me, were he willing. Hard pass on Greiss after his comments about playing here...

On D I wouldn't trust Marc Staal at all. Justin Braun's a realistic candidate, but I'm not sure how much better he is than Ruhwedel...if at all.
The other names they listed are pie in the sky.

yeah, my feeling is if they’re going for a top six winger, really go for it…go give up a first round pick and a prospect JR wants (or Kap) for JT Miller, who has another year on his contract…or Tarasenko…someone who can actually score consistently and play make….

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
One option for a forward trade no one has discussed: let’s say Hextall knows rn that he’s not going to be able to re-sign Rust…instead of letting him walk, consider trading him for a first and a prospect and use those assets then to trade for another winger like Miller who is not a rental…it might not improve the team but how many of us really believe the Pens are making a long Cup run?…lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One option for a forward trade no one has discussed: let’s say Hextall knows rn that he’s not going to be able to re-sign Rust…instead of letting him walk, consider trading him for a first and a prospect and use those assets then to trade for another winger like Miller who is not a rental…it might not improve the team but how many of us really believe the Pens are making a long Cup run?…lol

I imagine if we go on like a ten game losing streak you could maybe see that happen.

Reactions: orby

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Well from what I've read Hextall and Burke aren't interested in trading high draft picks or top prospects.

Halak and Schenn wouldn't be bad, you add a backup goalie and a right-handed physical defenseman to play with Matheson. I wonder if Vegas would be willing to flip Dadonov for Zucker or Kapanen.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Another thing they should explore is Lindholm if he’s available…Dumo has been JJ bad and I think the Pens need to find another 1LD actually…if he’s available and you can trade for him while trading Dumo, either to Anaheim or elsewhere, they should consider it…obviously they’d need to sign Lindholm longer term

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
yeah, my feeling is if they’re going for a top six winger, really go for it…go give up a first round pick and a prospect JR wants (or Kap) for JT Miller, who has another year on his contract…or Tarasenko…someone who can actually score consistently and play make….
Rust out Miller in would work, because Miller's production this year is close to half on the PP. So a spot would open up.
If we're bringing him here for 5v5 production, his numbers are actually quite underwhelming this year. Far weaker than Rust and Jake's. Virtually identical to Kap's rate actually.

upload_2022-2-23_8-50-17.png

This is where he's a difference maker. He's had 4 seasons in a row with great PP rates. If you can combine that with passable top 6 5v5 winger production, good puck management, wall play and defending...then you have a winner at his cap hit and term.

Edit: Forgot to add that another reason Miller's a hot commodity is because of his durability. The last 4 seasons he's missed a meager amount of games. That's a swing factor for a team like ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I know there's some contention about whether the Pens would want to pay his games played bonus, but Halak (as a player) still strikes me as the best trade target for the Pens; he's a steady backup goalie who could legitimately replace an injured or flailing, Jarry if need be. Halak's recent numbers are a little concerning, but he's got a long body of work so I trust that he'd be steady.

I agree that the Pens should probably be looking to upgrade from Kapanen at this point as he's looking like a poor fit for the system, but even if they packaged him with a first rounder - which I don't expect Hextall to do - I'm not sure it would be enough to get a worthwhile upgrade. They may just have to grin and bear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Zach Aston-Reese — I’ve been told by multiple people that Hextall loves Aston-Reese. - Yohe

Pierre-Olivier Joseph — Don’t be shocked if the Penguins move P-O at some point. No, they don’t have much depth on the blue line. Yes, he’s talented and a good kid.
I’ve just had too many people in the organization tell me the current regime isn’t wild about him. They worry about his ability to survive an 82-game season given his slight frame.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006

People making up stats? Unbelievable.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I don't want to come down hard on you, but no. Just...f***...no. This team near the top of the division and Rust is our top RW. They are not trading him. I get "durrr assert mernegmert" but that's not what happens in the real world, even if the goal is flip it for Miller. You're not getting Miller for what you are getting from Rust. If a team could get Miller for what we get from Rust, why are they trading for Rust and not Miller? Which means that we have to pay extra to get Miller...and for what? Why are we spending assets to go from Miller to Rust when we will likely run into the same issue next year when it comes time to sign Miller. Its just...no man. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille