GDT: Trade Deadline II :: Everyone is mad edition

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Successful day for Berg. Our bottom 6 got a lot tougher to play against and we now have 6 PMDs.

MB has to be hoping that Eller goes into beast mode come playoff time.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
XwWUMz9.jpg

Dat Accuracy.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm fine with all the moves he made today but out of every move I still believe Sekac has the highest upside of any player moved or acquired.

I agree I wasn't completely shocked when catch got moved for DSP.
However that was because I was assuming we were adding skill on top.
The moves today aside from dish were anti-climactic to say the least.
A few of the goalposts must have moved.:p:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Too all the people who are pissed Berg didn't get a big time scorer, remind me again who was available? Jagr: slow as molasses., marginal production now. Cole: been there, done that. Whether or not he kicked the tires on an Iginla or not we'll never know. What we do know is the asking prices for marginal pieces was very high.

Berg got a top 4 defender who can move the puck. He got speed, an offensive upgrade for the bottom 6, and a guy in Mitchell with a boat load of playoff experience. He got all that without giving up any of his prime prospects. Fifth rounders, a 7th and Nevins, a 2nd this year and the potential for a 3rd. He clearly wasn't prepared to part with his first, yet.

He's improved the team's ability to move the puck. He's added speed, special teams proficiency, and the types of guys that often contribute timely goals in the playoffs. Remember Dom Moore in 2010? That's what I think they can expect from Flynn and/or Mitchell. At the very least, they've got a rotation of guys in DSP, Flynn, and Mitchell that can be inserted all over the bottom 6 and provide a lot of jam.

They're not 'sexy' trades, but they can be very effective.

He killed it today IMO. And when I see other late 1sts we have like Scherbak, McCarron etc I know in an even deeper draft we can get maybe another future star.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
so back to ******** on Desharnais. Moving forward, MT has a great deal of options for his top 9. I see a lot of posts about top 6 and bottom 6...I don't even think that's where their heads are at right now. The only traditional top 6 offensive minded guys the Habs have are Galchenyuk, DD and PAP. The only traditional bottom 6 defensive minded guy would be Malhotra. Everyone else can pretty much play a great 200ft game.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
so back to ******** on Desharnais. Moving forward, MT has a great deal of options for his top 9. I see a lot of posts about top 6 and bottom 6...I don't even think that's where their heads are at right now. The only traditional top 6 offensive minded guys the Habs have are Galchenyuk, DD and PAP. The only traditional bottom 6 defensive minded guy would be Malhotra. Everyone else can pretty much play a great 200ft game.

You don't think Galchenyuk plays a 200 foot game?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Not great. He's not quite there yet.

It's not refined, but in terms of 20 year olds I think he's one of the best. He is extremely aware and can read plays it's just a matter of using his body and stick to take away time and space from players.

Maybe I'm a glass half full guy, but I think his attention to a 200 foot game makes up for his lack of experience doing it at the NHL level.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I like that the trades were one-sided in our favor and that at least everybody seems to be able to skate, although DSP is still work in progress. I really hope that Petry turns out not to just be a rental. Realistically, this has to be one of the top destinations for him long-term, especially if Price achieves this stratospheric level for the next few years. He basically goes from the outhouse to the penthouse, in hockey terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad