Trade Deadline - Expected Returns, Hot Takes & Predictions etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
lol wut

Vrana makes this trade a likely win for Detroit. Mantha for just 30th and 60th overall picks would be terrible. And I don't even like Mantha.

Gotta remember where we are, Jaster. Picks are king, I guess. I'm damn thrilled to get Vrana. Made even more so by my good friend who is a dyed in the wool Caps fan stewing in anger about giving him up. Vrana is a really good player and is without a doubt the best piece in that deal for Detroit. He's a lesser player than Mantha... but he's not that far behind.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
What I like about Yzerman is he knows what it takes to build a cup team. Not like Holland and his loyalty signings. Steve signs Mantha to a cap friendly deal and after seeing his play this year he wasn't afraid to ship him out at the right price. I haven't watched Vrana much but when I did I liked what I saw to a point where I thought I wouldn't mind him on the wings. To add a first this year and second next year wowzers that's impressive. Now package those picks to get us 2 top 10 picks is my pipe dream. Powers or Hughes AND Beniers Eklund, or Johnson. Either way we lost Mantha and with the Vrana and picks we are better for it in a few years time. 2022-2023 I think we have a team that can compete.

2020 our key players can be-

Larkin
Raymond
Berggen
Veleno
Zadina
Beniers,Johnson or Eklund caliber
Seider, Hronek, johhanson sp?

Free agent targets- Hamilton this year Barkov the next with werenski.

I'm all over the place i know im just excited to be a Wings fan today

Reactions: DatsDeking

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
You're crazy. You're incredibly crazy.

I hope he's looking for a long term deal. Vrana is f***ing good. He's not at Mantha's level if Big Tony has someone riding his ass to make sure he gives 100%. But he's a f***ing great hockey player. If you want the Red Wings to be a good team, you want them to keep a guy like him around.
Big Tony is a good hockey player?

:huh:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I just want to chime in and say that I'm grateful Yzerman is our GM. He may lose a trade here and there (Regula for whats his face) but when he wins a trade it is a commanding win.
I trust this man and his plan for this club.

Reactions: lilidk and WF19

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I've seen us move on from Tatar/Nyquist to embrace our youth in a rebuild. Now we're trading away our youth from back then! Crazy how time flies

Reactions: avssuc

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Gotta remember where we are, Jaster. Picks are king, I guess. I'm damn thrilled to get Vrana. Made even more so by my good friend who is a dyed in the wool Caps fan stewing in anger about giving him up. Vrana is a really good player and is without a doubt the best piece in that deal for Detroit. He's a lesser player than Mantha... but he's not that far behind.

Yep, all that. Especially the part about being the best piece. I mean, I of course hope the 1st and 2nd wind up being players even better than Vrana, but the reality is that he was a 13th overall, is living up to that billing, and the odds that either draft pick winds up better than him are less than 50%.

Reactions: ZadinaN11

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What I like about Yzerman is he knows what it takes to build a cup team. Not like Holland and his loyalty signings. Steve signs Mantha to a cap friendly deal and after seeing his play this year he wasn't afraid to ship him out at the right price.

Is this satire?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Big Tony is a good hockey player?

:huh:

Mantha is a good hockey player. Vrana is a good hockey player. Mantha at his best is better than Vrana. Current 2021 Mantha is a worse player than Jakub Vrana if he's gonna coast through the year.

I was responding to WW's post about not wanting or expecting to re-sign Vrana. You don't give up Mantha for picks and expect to be a better team. Swap Mantha for a somewhat lesser forward who plays a different game and a couple pieces though and you can play towards a better future.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
If things stay put for the next few minutes, I think NJ will eventually fall below us in the standings, we'll stay put and Anaheim will move up to that sixth best odds spot currently held by the Devils. We'll draft seventh and Wallstedt could be gone by then to NJ.
This did NOT age well.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If things stay put for the next few minutes, I think NJ will eventually fall below us in the standings, we'll stay put and Anaheim will move up to that sixth best odds spot currently held by the Devils. We'll draft seventh and Wallstedt could be gone by then to NJ.
You do realize that NJ has 4 games in hand over us right? So we'd need to win a few more games for them to slip under us. If we currently stay in the 5th odds are we pick 6th and take Wallstedt.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Now package those picks to get us 2 top 10 picks is my pipe dream.

Surely you are including more than a pick around 26-32 and a future pick around 58-64 in your proposal to climb up into the top 10 of a draft? And is this really the draft class you want two top 10 picks in?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
You do realize that NJ has 4 games in hand over us right? So we'd need to win a few more games for them to slip under us. If we currently stay in the 5th odds are we pick 6th and take Wallstedt.
I said "This did NOT age well" because if you read the quoted post, it says "If things stay put for the next few minutes..."

I wrote that at like five minutes before the deadline.

At that point, we had no news of the Mantha trade. So, at that point, NJ's TDL was a lot better than ours. If things had stayed put... NJ had traded away a lot bigger pieces than DET and probably would have eventually fell beneath us in the standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad