Trade Deadline Discussion Part 4

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I can believe that Lou would make an offer for Gio. However a 2nd and a prospect? Not a chance.

Tuomo Ruutu went for Loktionov and a conditional pick.
Andrew MacDonald went for Mangene, a 2nd, and a 3rd.
Goc went for a 3rd and a 5th.

Gionta's value with some GMs could have been some kind of unproven player and a 2nd pretty easily based on those.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Basically would have been Gionta for Vanek and in the process improving our 2nd round pick...? Would have been a good return for Gio. Wasted opportunity.

:cry:

I have a hard time believing that + before the deadline the Devils had no 1st round pick and they were going to trade their 2nd for Gio? I honestly doubt that type of return

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
In all fairness the Vanek deal happened pretty late compared to the other deals such as Ruutu and MacDonald that garnered almost a similar return to the Vanek one.

...New Jersey Devils would have acquired Brian Gionta earlier on deadline day before acquiring forward Tuomo Ruutu...

Still I can't see a 2nd rounder and a prospect coming back, there were reports that no one offered more than a 3rd rounder for Cammalleri.

Pricef*

Basically would have been Gionta for Vanek and in the process improving our 2nd round pick...? Would have been a good return for Gio. Wasted opportunity.

:cry:

No way. This is 100 percent false.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If there is any truth to that proposed deal and MB refused it he should be fired!
You know Lou knew he was getting his 1st rounder back even before t was announced (he runs the league Mafia style).

What a great team MB and MT make....Two losers!

The fact Gionta is still playing second line W is laughable!

Last edited:

CalgaryHab

Mar 10, 2014
If he had traded Gionta and taken salary back would he have had the cap space to get Vanek? All season they were sending players to Hamilton to save cap space. All these coulda, woulda and shoulda stuff are laughable. I am very happy with the deadline we went thru. We have increased depth for a play-off run plus a top 6 sniper. We also didn't give away any of our better prospects(at least my favorites Tinordi, Beaulieu, Dietz, McCarron, Fucale and de la Rose) . As history has shown us a hot goalie can win it all and with Price we have a goalie that has the potential to do this. We will make the play-offs and then anything can happen. We have some depth to get over a few injuries. Lets see what happens when we get there?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
If Eller doesn't improve I would consider dealing him to NY Islanders for Michael Grabner which allows Galchenyuk to move back to center. Grabner-Galchenyuk-Gallagher the G line would be great.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
If Eller doesn't improve I would consider dealing him to NY Islanders for Michael Grabner which allows Galchenyuk to move back to center. Grabner-Galchenyuk-Gallagher the G line would be great.
You know what, that's not a bad proposal, but Frans Nielsen is prooving eveyone than he's a very decent 2nd line center..

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Read that Boston had a deal for Edler where they would be sending over Bartkowski as the main piece anyway, don't imagine it was 1 for 1, but fell through as it was conditional on Kesler being moved. Also don't know if Edler actually waved his NTC.

Edler would be a great piece for us ( we would move Gorges or Emelin ) and if Nucks still want to move him would you move one of the young D we have ? Really don't want to move Tinordi or Beaulieu, wonder if Gorges or Pateryn ( who I wish we saw this year ) would do it if we added.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Read that Boston had a deal for Edler where they would be sending over Bartkowski as the main piece anyway, don't imagine it was 1 for 1, but fell through as it was conditional on Kesler being moved. Also don't know if Edler actually waved his NTC.

Edler would be a great piece for us ( we would move Gorges or Emelin ) and if Nucks still want to move him would you move one of the young D we have ? Really don't want to move Tinordi or Beaulieu, wonder if Gorges or Pateryn ( who I wish we saw this year ) would do it if we added.

Edler makes 5 mil/year(for 5 more years) and isn't playing very well this year. It would have been a risky move to send picks and prospects for a guy like him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If there is any truth to that proposed deal and MB refused it he should be fired!
You know Lou knew he was getting his 1st rounder back even before t was announced (he runs the league Mafia style).

What a great team MB and MT make....Two losers!

The fact Gionta is still playing second line W is laughable!

Yes because a guy hiding behind his keyboard making fun of NHL coaches and GM's is a real genius!

:facepalm:

Why is Gionta playing 2nd line laughable? Until somebody better comes along who would you put there? Bourque? Prust? White?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Here is a little interesting run through of the Habs during trade deadline and the events that transpired.

http://thehabsnation.net/2014/03/07/looking-back-at-trade-deadline-day/

This is even more interesting.....

Copyright © 2014 TheHabsNation

Follow Blog via Email

Enter your email address to follow TheHabsNation and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 7 other followers

TheHabsNation is a dedicated Montreal Canadiens fan blog bringing you the latest breaking news and in-depth analysis from Bouillon to White and everything around the rink.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad