Trade Deadline Day thread (new title)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Athletic trade speculation with two CBJ mentions the morning:

10. Josh Anderson, Columbus Blue Jackets – Even having a down season, Anderson would likely net a nice return for the Blue Jackets because he’s the kind of big, powerful winger playoff teams love. And he wouldn’t be a rental. “Josh Anderson is fascinating to me,” said one GM.

14. Ryan Murray, Columbus Blue Jackets – The Blue Jackets have enviable depth on defense and there are a lot of teams searching for top-four help. Columbus would like to add an impact player at forward – just how impactful will depend on which Blue Jackets defenseman is part of the package.

So what type of impact forward could an Anderson/Murray package fetch?

I think a perfect target is Larkin but not sure Yzerman would bite on those assets for his rebuild.

"The team should trade Murray for an 'impact player at forward.'"

"The team should trade Anderson at his lowest trade value."

They could, ya know, just wait for Anderson to get healthy and let him be the impact forward? Unless the team is aware of information about his injury being permanent in nature.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think the most likely to be traded is Savard. Because I don't think Nutivaara, Harrington, or Kukan get you anything but a mid draft pick (3rd at best).

Savard would be a nice get for a playoff team. Steady defensively and very good in the room. I don't think we want to trade him, but he's getting up there in age and he doesn't skate well now and that's before any age takes a hold of his legs.

Another option would be Murray, but I don't think he gets much on the market either. I think he's more likely to go via expansion draft than trade. I think he means more to our team than he would get in a trade.

The final option would be Gavrikov. But why? I think we've got a studly defensive defenseman here who is no slouch to join the play. I think he'll be the 3rd defenseman we protect in the expansion draft if it were held this offseason. He would get a decent return but in the end wouldn't be worth it.

Calrsson and Clendening have no value.

Werenski and Jones aren't going anywhere.

As for forwards, I don't think anyone really goes except maybe Riley Nash. But who wants Riley Nash? You can say the same for Wennberg too, but someone might be interested in the reclamation project there, but not at his current price tag.

Trading Anderson would be a mistake, especially at his current value. Bjorkstrand should be kept. PLD is obviously untouchable. Bemstrom or Texier are young building blocks we'll likely keep around or (in an extreme unlikely event) used as trade chips for a more proven impactful player.

I don't think we necessarily have to make moves. I think Kukan might be out for the year, or at least the majority of it, so our depth will be needed and tested. As for forwards, you're not getting any elite talent with what we're offering so unless you can cut dead weight like Nash, there's no point to jump start it.

I think we sit still this year, unless we have interest in dealing one of Nutivaara or Harrington to recoup some draft picks. I really think we're going to use a lot of our cap space to keep our talent in house, and a potential run at Taylor Hall or RNH.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Also I apologize for saying “I think” at least 10 times in that post. I’m sick

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think the most likely to be traded is Savard. Because I don't think Nutivaara, Harrington, or Kukan get you anything but a mid draft pick (3rd at best).

Savard would be a nice get for a playoff team. Steady defensively and very good in the room. I don't think we want to trade him, but he's getting up there in age and he doesn't skate well now and that's before any age takes a hold of his legs.

Another option would be Murray, but I don't think he gets much on the market either. I think he's more likely to go via expansion draft than trade. I think he means more to our team than he would get in a trade.

The final option would be Gavrikov. But why? I think we've got a studly defensive defenseman here who is no slouch to join the play. I think he'll be the 3rd defenseman we protect in the expansion draft if it were held this offseason. He would get a decent return but in the end wouldn't be worth it.

Calrsson and Clendening have no value.

Werenski and Jones aren't going anywhere.

As for forwards, I don't think anyone really goes except maybe Riley Nash. But who wants Riley Nash? You can say the same for Wennberg too, but someone might be interested in the reclamation project there, but not at his current price tag.

Trading Anderson would be a mistake, especially at his current value. Bjorkstrand should be kept. PLD is obviously untouchable. Bemstrom or Texier are young building blocks we'll likely keep around or (in an extreme unlikely event) used as trade chips for a more proven impactful player.

I don't think we necessarily have to make moves. I think Kukan might be out for the year, or at least the majority of it, so our depth will be needed and tested. As for forwards, you're not getting any elite talent with what we're offering so unless you can cut dead weight like Nash, there's no point to jump start it.

I think we sit still this year, unless we have interest in dealing one of Nutivaara or Harrington to recoup some draft picks. I really think we're going to use a lot of our cap space to keep our talent in house, and a potential run at Taylor Hall or RNH.
Good assessment and mostly agree.....I’ll hit on my one major difference in another post.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I think that you are saying that you are sick for posting the word think, but I may not think the way you are thinking, so I think that if you think that you think you used the word think too much, you should’ve worry about it, because I think we all think and what is lacking on this board is people who think, but there are those who do think and when they think they think too much. (I think I used the word think or a word like think more times than you used the word think so I think that we should not think about it)

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think that you are saying that you are sick for posting the word think, but I may not think the way you are thinking, so I think that if you think that you think you used the word think too much, you should’ve worry about it, because I think we all think and what is lacking on this board is people who think, but there are those who do think and when they think they think too much. (I think I used the word think or a word like think more times than you used the word think so I think that we should not think about it)

this is basically how my own post sounded back to me when a re-read it. Lol

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
For the remainder of the season, I think we should do... absolutely nothing. Seriously.

First, a look by positions, starting back to front with the presumption we are not selling at the TDL. Assuming Korpi comes back fully healthy and Elvis stays healthy, no need to do anything in net. On defense, we’re in even better shape. No need to add there. And just because we’re really deep doesn’t mean we need to move anyone out. We’ve already been decimated this year. And we saw what happened last year even after we added McQuaid. We still had to call upon Clendening in the playoffs.

The issue is at forward. But even there, we’re kinda deep. We’re mainly missing two things: one is a great-elite first line player (i.e., a top-15 LW, top-15 RW or top-15 C). There’s only one way I can think of to get that this season (and rather than face the wrath of @CBJWennberg10, I just won’t say it. Particularly because it’d be a pretty tough call to make that move.) The other thing we could use is a good 2C. We don’t need middle-six wings (or even “low” 1st-line wings) or 4th line depth.

One way to get a good 2C would be a “good hockey trade” (something like either Murray or Savard going the other way. I’d be fine with this presuming the player coming back was in his 20s and not a UFA after this season. But don’t know how many options are out there for something like this). The other way would be (a) pick(s)/prospect(s). Speaking of...

We should not be trading picks/prospects. It was fine last year given the talent we had and impending UFAs. But we are probably not Cup contenders this year (and a trade deadline add won’t turn us into one), and we’ve had a dearth of picks in recent years, starting with the Vegas expansion draft and continuing to last season’s TDL.

However, I see no reason we need to sell at the TDL, either. We have no upcoming UFAs of consequence that would return anything substantial. We do have Savard and Murray after next season, but there’s no reason we couldn’t trade either at the draft/during the off-season for “futures” if we so desired. Is it possible you could get more in return at the TDL given they’d have two playoffs for their new team? Maybe. But you could also drive a bidding war in the summer, when it’s likely more teams would be interested. And, given what I said about D in the earlier paragraph, I’d be disinclined to move either when we’re in a playoff race.

So unless we trade either Savard/Murray for a 2C, I vote to do nothing until summer. (One of those crazy Jarmo moves no one sees coming notwithstanding.)

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
No idea when everyone comes back but I can see Jarmo saying getting the injured players back is like their deadline acquisition. After trading away assets last year, not sure if he wants to trade away more this year. He'll still want to make the playoffs so I think he hangs onto Savard. Maybe in the off season, shop him. Maybe he dangles Murray but if the offer is low, he'll probably keep him and pray he stays healthy for the rest of the season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Heh, better you say, "I think" when that's what you mean instead of the now all-too-common, "I feel like..." when the person is, in fact, not describing a feeling.

/pedantic rant over

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's disappointing that Kukan injured his knee because I would say he is the guy who we should be looking to move. I bet another team would have been willing to give up assets for him that are equitable to a top-4 left handed defenseman.

Plus he will be due for a new contract and with what we have in the top-4 I don't know if we would want to commit second pairing money to him.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, I'm also in the camp of sitting on the hand of cards we have now. No need to be a buyer right now. These injuries have shown that we have some guys who can step in if needed. Let them have it, we have to keep our picks and prospects.

I'd be open to trading Savard for futures, but I think I'd treat that as a 'buyer' situation and have him help with the home stretch.

If someone with less depth was going to take a flyer on Wennberg and Nash, that would be fine but those moves aren't going to move the needle much.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, I'm also in the camp of sitting on the hand of cards we have now. No need to be a buyer right now. These injuries have shown that we have some guys who can step in if needed. Let them have it, we have to keep our picks and prospects.

I'd be open to trading Savard for futures, but I think I'd treat that as a 'buyer' situation and have him help with the home stretch.

If someone with less depth was going to take a flyer on Wennberg and Nash, that would be fine but those moves aren't going to move the needle much.
Should we be trading Savard, though, since he has a year left, is playing well with Gavrikov, is a righty, and really seems to like where he is living?

I think the CBJ could use a few more guys like him rather than less...

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Should we be trading Savard, though, since he has a year left, is playing well with Gavrikov, is a righty, and really seems to like where he is living?

I think that trade will depend entirely whether we’re still in play off contention by the deadline

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think that trade will depend entirely whether we’re still in play off contention by the deadline
Even then, they have one more year to figure that out before he is a UFA.

I could see potentially moving him as a rental next year if the team is rebuilding, but don't see a real need to do so this year.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I never like the idea of trading Nutivaara. His contract is to good for what he can provide. I don't think you can get an impact forward that would be worth it. I also don't like the idea of moving Savard as I don't think he will cost a ton on his next contract, and he is a healthy, steady top 4 D. The type of forwards we could get for these assets, we already have.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
It's disappointing that Kukan injured his knee because I would say he is the guy who we should be looking to move. I bet another team would have been willing to give up assets for him that are equitable to a top-4 left handed defenseman.

Plus he will be due for a new contract and with what we have in the top-4 I don't know if we would want to commit second pairing money to him.

I don't think Kukan has the track record to earn middle pair money. I do think that Kukan is what makes Murray expendable at this point.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I think we should re-sign one (and only one) of either Murray or Savard. Whichever one you choose not to should be dealt. But no reason to do that (unless we collapse in the next month) until the summer.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I never like the idea of trading Nutivaara. His contract is to good for what he can provide. I don't think you can get an impact forward that would be worth it. I also don't like the idea of moving Savard as I don't think he will cost a ton on his next contract, and he is a healthy, steady top 4 D. The type of forwards we could get for these assets, we already have.
Well, we’re going to have to move a defender at some point since we have:

Untouchables:
Jones
Werenski

Solid D:
Gavrikov
Nutivaara
Murray
Savard
Kukan

Others:
Peeke
Harrington
Clendening
Carlson

Seems like we do have a surplus if everyone is healthy

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Well, we’re going to have to move a defender at some point since we have:

Untouchables:
Jones
Werenski

Solid D:
Gavrikov
Nutivaara
Murray
Savard
Kukan

Others:
Peeke
Harrington
Clendening
Carlson

Seems like we do have a surplus if everyone is healthy

I would argue that most of those defensemen in the Solid category are capable of playing in a top 4 role (clearly all of them have played in a top 4 position at some point with all the injuries and it hasn’t hurt our D).

Most teams have someone like Clendening or Carlsson in their #7 slot, whereas they are 10/11 on our depth chart.

Our forward depth has been tested with this wave of injuries and clearly it is showing that there is not much of a drop off between the middle/bottom of our NHL depth chart and the guys that have come up from Cleveland. Robinson, Steblund, Gerbe, MacInnis have all stepped right in and help this team win.

Consolidate assets in some way. Trade any 2-3 players from the middle of our depth chart for someone that can play at the top. It’s obvious how much of an impact that a perennial 50 player like Nyquist can impact this team and help our top 6 and special teams. Most of all, go after a skilled player that will fit in with the team and be here for the long haul.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
oh for g-d's sake now the andy-to-bruins folks are ****ing invading I'm just going to set the whole damn world on fire now

Chill. One person came and asked about a player in a trade thread. I know you have a reputation to live up to on here, but just take a deep breath.

Bruins fan coming in peace.

I'm a big Josh Anderson fan. I know he's been injured and his stats aren't exactly sparkling this season but I'm curious what the expected return would be from the Bruins in a deal for him?

Would Danton Heinen + 2nd/3rd or B Level prospect get it done?

That being said, the offer doesn't do anything for the Jackets. No reason to trade Andy at his lowest value for a player that doesn't make the team any better. He's the most commonly mentioned name on the trade forums for a reason, and the Jackets need him just as much as everyone else, so no sense trading him at this point when theres no chance he'd return his full value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad