Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
I was really hoping Tellez would get a shot, but not a surprising list for call ups anyway.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Thole signed, Travis optioned to the minors

Huh...

I assume this means Thole was actually signed last night and Travis was optioned to make room for him, then they can call him back up in time for tomorrow's game?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Huh...

I assume this means Thole was actually signed last night and Travis was optioned to make room for him, then they can call him back up in time for tomorrow's game?

Yes. It was just a paper transaction as it was Bluefield he was 'sent to' and their season just ended (or ends tonight). He'll be back for tomorrow.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Thole signed, Travis optioned to the minors

Maybe this was discussed already, but on the radio I kept on hearing the idea being floated around that Boston should want to sign Thole (obviously its too late now) to mess with us and to have a KB catcher. Why didn't they? It seems like a extremely low risk move....

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Maybe this was discussed already, but on the radio I kept on hearing the idea being floated around that Boston should want to sign Thole (obviously its too late now) to mess with us and to have a KB catcher. Why didn't they? It seems like a extremely low risk move....

It's pretty bush league. Relationships are important in baseball among execs, and there's a code. Plus, Martin could just catch Dickey. It wouldn't be worth the grief.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

I don't think Thole would have been interested in doing that.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Probably because it would have been a huge waste of time for them.

Boston has somebody who has been catching Wright all season. They don't have a need for Thole. Plus, he's having a terrible season. Why would Boston go through the trouble of opening up a roster spot for a bad, third-string catcher?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
No faith in Tepera, Loup or Cecil right now.
As others have mentioned, I can see Liriano going to the 'pen for the playoffs

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I find the Thole re-signing kind of strange.

Because they did it today, he's not eligible for the playoffs.

What happens if Martin or Dioner get hurt between now and the post-season?

Why not get it done yesterday and maintain his playoff eligibility?

Obviously, with no injuries, Thole is not on the playoff roster. But if something happens, at least he's been on the roster all season and has been working with the pitchers.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Obviously, with no injuries, Thole is not on the playoff roster. But if something happens, at least he's been on the roster all season and has been working with the pitchers.

Unless he actually signed last night, which they must have, since if they waited until today there would have been no reason to option Travis.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

They did sign him yesterday. That's why Travis had to be optioned. Thole is eligible for the playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pompey, Tepera, Barnes, Dermody with Loup and Schultz to follow are your September call ups.

Most likely one of the bull pen guys goes back down once Barney comes back. That is a lot of pitchers. There has to be like 18 of them, including a 6 man rotation and a 12 man bull pen.

I think Goins sticks around, and Thole will probably come back too. I wouldn't have minded seeing how someone like Montero or Tellez did either, considering EE may leave.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Maybe they prefer guys like Jimenez or McGuire instead? (If you take out the KB aspect) They are better players (probably) and the KB won't really be around come playoffs (except maybe the odd time out of the bullpen).

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
They could still get called up(tellez and others) as New Hampshire season ends sept 5th, however most of these callups will not play very much. ie delgado called up in '93 and only had 2 at bats in pretty meaningless games and game situations. If anything they get called up as a reward for a good season but still its too soon to rely on them up in big at bats in September/October.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004

I'll be the 1st to admit that I don't understand all the ins and outs of the up/down moves teams make, but what the Thole move may really signal is that Dickey isn't on the playoff roster as it stands today, not unlike Buehrle last year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Most likely one of the bull pen guys goes back down once Barney comes back. That is a lot of pitchers. There has to be like 18 of them, including a 6 man rotation and a 12 man bull pen.

I think Goins sticks around, and Thole will probably come back too. I wouldn't have minded seeing how someone like Montero or Tellez did either, considering EE may leave.

Tepera is usually the odd man out :)

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Alford hitting in the 230 range in A ball, hardly Elite.

Nice try FreeBird, but he had a knee injury at the beginning of the season and a concussion not long after that. Since returning from his concussion on June 22nd he has hit .259/.379/.453 with a .389 wOBA and a 146 wRC+.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

There's no reason not to have all those bullpen guys around since rosters have expanded. They'll just add Barney without having to make a corresponding move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad