Trade Deadline 23/24

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That’s why it makes ZERO sense for a middle-of-the-road team to deal away picks when their ceiling is winning a round or two max in the playoffs.

Example - - Oshawa pissed away five draft picks and only improved marginally. They should have sold off a couple pieces and added picks.

I liked the low level of picks Oshawa traded for Punnett. I think that was a very good trade regardless. For similar or even weaker players, teams paid 2nd, 3rd, 5th…

I do feel Oshawa should have traded away assets this year BUT the issue is for When? Next year? Meh. Missy will likely run away with the Conference post-deadline.

To me, Oshawa would have needed to commit to trading Kumpalainen, Roobroek and D’Amato. All three could potentially return next season which I think is the reason why they didn’t trade those guys.

I don’t feel Oshawa was in as cut and dry position as some others. To me, Kingston should have traded Ludwinski. His singular value vs anyone on the Generals roster was night and day. Kingston still could have done well this season adding Dubois to replace Ludwinski and netted a solid return without hurting the team too much, while shifting some assets forward.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
That’s why it makes ZERO sense for a middle-of-the-road team to deal away picks when their ceiling is winning a round or two max in the playoffs.

Example - - Oshawa pissed away five draft picks and only improved marginally. They should have sold off a couple pieces and added picks.
Agreed. Punnett trade I’m ok with. Maybe he was a leader in the room, but I didn’t think Stewart moved the needle that much. Gens haven’t had a physical defenceman since when, Sean Allen or Matt Brassard? Punnett should be a great addition to finish out this season.

Sandhu trade is odd to me. Maybe it pays off next year. Don’t love giving up the 3 picks

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
To me, Kingston should have traded Ludwinski. His singular value vs anyone on the Generals roster was night and day.

I can assure you that Oshawa would have received SIGNIFICANTLY more trading Beckett Sennecke or Ben Danford than Kingston would have if they’d traded Ludwinski.

Oshawa didn’t need to go nuclear and liquidate all of their 05 guys but since they can only keep 3 out of 4 next year, Luke Torrence should have traded since he won’t be retained as an OA ahead of the other three.

Adding a draft pick or two in a trade like that, coupled with hanging on to the other five picks they gave away would have been good ammunition for next year when they’ll be in a stronger position to contend.

Mississauga - - or “Missy” as the hip crowd apparently likes to refer to them - - isn’t going to be the juggernaut you think they will be next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can assure you that Oshawa would have received SIGNIFICANTLY more trading Beckett Sennecke or Ben Danford than Kingston would have if they’d traded Ludwinski.

Oshawa didn’t need to go nuclear and liquidate all of their 05 guys but since they can only keep 3 out of 4 next year, Luke Torrence should have traded since he won’t be retained as an OA ahead of the other three.

Adding a draft pick or two in a trade like that, coupled with hanging on to the other five picks they gave away would have been good ammunition for next year when they’ll be in a stronger position to contend.

Mississauga - - or “Missy” as the hip crowd apparently likes to refer to them - - isn’t going to be the juggernaut you think they will be next year.

I all fairness, we are talking ‘04s. The assumption is if next year is a focus, you aren’t trading your key returning players. You are trading your graduates.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Agreed. Punnett trade I’m ok with. Maybe he was a leader in the room, but I didn’t think Stewart moved the needle that much. Gens haven’t had a physical defenceman since when, Sean Allen or Matt Brassard? Punnett should be a great addition to finish out this season.

Sandhu trade is odd to me. Maybe it pays off next year. Don’t love giving up the 3 picks
You'll like Sandhu, he'll only get better next year. He took a good leap this year.

Reactions: TuckerFan1

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah but what about Saginaw hosting the Memorial Cup? We kept that going for MONTHS! Don’t give up so easily!
I noticed that the top team in the East would be a 6 seed in the West right now. Can we start a “Should the entire Eastern Conference be moved West” thread?

Reactions: ohloutsider

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I feel like the team would be worse off there.....throw them in Oakville or Burlington maybe

Find a way to get them to Cornwal, put them in the east and move Brantford to the Central.

The OHL should be making every effort to make it happen. It helps the travel and geography as well as the issues surrounding the poor community support for decades.

Reactions: the dog and bobber

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Find a way to get them to Cornwal, put them in the east and move Brantford to the Central.

The OHL should be making every effort to make it happen. It helps the travel and geography as well as the issues surrounding the poor community support for decades.
And your the one that didn't want to bring up the re-alignment thread???!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Went to a game in Brampton once and the owners mom was the only person we could see in a sky box. She must of been addicted to the all you can eat chicken fingers they serve the rich and famous up there. 🐓 You could see her wiping the sweet and sour sauce off her chin. Kidding. They only has garlic sauce.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We already know what will happen, for the 23rd time!

But, it is a “new” discussion. Maybe it will turn out differently this time?

See how easy it is to keep the Trade deadline discussion open and active? So much for @sirius67fan thinking this thread is dead….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad