Trade Deadline 23/24

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Month away from trade deadline, whose in, whose out? Which players are the hot trade targets? Do teams like Peterborough and Kitchener sell off their players to recoup much needed picks or do they tinker with their lineups to 'go for it'? Who does Saginaw look to add to their roster? Which WJ Players have played their last games with their respective clubs? Will this be a buyers/sellers market?

It's this time of the year I miss having a guy like OHLInsiders on X/Twitter to watch for all the 'fun' rumours

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Local reporter Greg Cowan did a trade deadline article with Attack GM Dale DeGray. He's not interested in selling and looking to acquire a veteran D along with a depth forward.

Reactions: sbpointer

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Month away from trade deadline, whose in, whose out? Which players are the hot trade targets? Do teams like Peterborough and Kitchener sell off their players to recoup much needed picks or do they tinker with their lineups to 'go for it'? Who does Saginaw look to add to their roster? Which WJ Players have played their last games with their respective clubs? Will this be a buyers/sellers market?

It's this time of the year I miss having a guy like OHLInsiders on X/Twitter to watch for all the 'fun' rumours
Yeah I enjoyed OHLInsiders on X.
I do get the other side of that coin with teams/agents going to the lengths they do to protect players too.
It's easy to forget these are kids in an already pretty pressure packed environment.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'll just chime in for Windsor, albeit quite early...

Bowler stated earlier this season that he wanted to be competitive and any deals were "reshuffling" of the deck, if you will. That sentiment was expressed as recently as mid-Nov with the Christopoulos deal. I don't know what he's going to do at the deadline; it's eerily similar to 2020 where he didn't make any moves and hoped for the best.

With that said... Windsor has several assets they could deal. They won't get the top dollar for them because of performance but Bowler has surprised people before with trades. So, nothing can be ruled out.

I don't see him buying; there's zero reason or need for that. I also don't see him fully selling everything, esp with this fan base already frustrated with the season's start. A tweak or three are possible, though, as he builds for down the road.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I'll just chime in for Windsor, albeit quite early...

Bowler stated earlier this season that he wanted to be competitive and any deals were "reshuffling" of the deck, if you will. That sentiment was expressed as recently as mid-Nov with the Christopoulos deal. I don't know what he's going to do at the deadline; it's eerily similar to 2020 where he didn't make any moves and hoped for the best.

With that said... Windsor has several assets they could deal. They won't get the top dollar for them because of performance but Bowler has surprised people before with trades. So, nothing can be ruled out.

I don't see him buying; there's zero reason or need for that. I also don't see him fully selling everything, esp with this fan base already frustrated with the season's start. A tweak or three are possible, though, as he builds for down the road.
Question is, is Greentree on or off the table? I don't know what other assets Windsor has that would bring in anything notable

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Question is, is Greentree on or off the table? I don't know what other assets Windsor has that would bring in anything notable
Greentree is a stud and fan favorite. Future star and leader of the team. Bowler would and should be linched if he traded him.
2 good OA's Maillet and Peer maybe but have to keep at least 1. Also Abraham was good last year but struggled this year . If moved and given the right role he could be very valuable to most teams. Not sure what the price would be for any of them?

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Greentree can't be on the table. Theoretically, anything is possible, but Bowler would be run out of town if he tried that. The kid is a fan favourite, an 06, and the leading scorer. After you just traded three very popular veterans, that would be Bowler's job.

Windsor has assets - Peer, Maillet, Abraham, Zhugin, Toms, etc. - but Bowler isn't going to get a massive return for any of them. Peer and Maillet could fetch the most, but guys like Abraham/Zhugin won't get top dollar right now. Abraham has potential but is struggling to find any offence right now. He did well last season before the injury, and still gets involved physically every game, but just hasn't regained that offensive touch. (ps. I didn't mention Smith because I'd be shocked if anyone gave up more than a 10th for him right now)

I don't see Bowler looking to add major pieces but maybe mid-round picks or 05s/06s that can help next season and beyond.

Reactions: ohloutsider

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Greentree can't be on the table. Theoretically, anything is possible, but Bowler would be run out of town if he tried that. The kid is a fan favourite, an 06, and the leading scorer. After you just traded three very popular veterans, that would be Bowler's job.

Windsor has assets - Peer, Maillet, Abraham, Zhugin, Toms, etc. - but Bowler isn't going to get a massive return for any of them. Peer and Maillet could fetch the most, but guys like Abraham/Zhugin won't get top dollar right now. Abraham has potential but is struggling to find any offence right now. He did well last season before the injury, and still gets involved physically every game, but just hasn't regained that offensive touch. (ps. I didn't mention Smith because I'd be shocked if anyone gave up more than a 10th for him right now)

I don't see Bowler looking to add major pieces but maybe mid-round picks or 05s/06s that can help next season and beyond.
Sorry but Toms isn't an asset, more of a liability hence why is was traded from the Hounds haha

On a more serious note, looking at Abraham, I wish they showed his face off win percentage on the stats page, his other stats are intriguing, especially his rookie year

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Sorry but Toms isn't an asset, more of a liability hence why is was traded from the Hounds haha

On a more serious note, looking at Abraham, I wish they showed his face off win percentage on the stats page, his other stats are intriguing, especially his rookie year

The FO stats are there, you just have to scroll over a bit. The design change on the site has made it a bit odd. That said, when he's on his game, he can give you a point a game and get under the skin of every player he comes near. I've seen players chirp him, he chirps back, and they stand there confused like "what just happened?" It's just unfortunate that his offence has dried up in the last dozen or so games.

Toms is an asset; how much of one is unknown.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The FO stats are there, you just have to scroll over a bit. The design change on the site has made it a bit odd. That said, when he's on his game, he can give you a point a game and get under the skin of every player he comes near. I've seen players chirp him, he chirps back, and they stand there confused like "what just happened?" It's just unfortunate that his offence has dried up in the last dozen or so games.

Toms is an asset; how much of one is unknown.
Like most of the players who have played in 4 or 5 of the last 5 games Windsor has played since the dismissal of Smith and the abandonment of 2 other coaches Toms has played much better,in the 5 games prior to coaching change Toms was a minus 5,in his 4 games played since with the coaching changes he is a -1 big difference.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Like most of the players who have played in 4 or 5 of the last 5 games Windsor has played since the dismissal of Smith and the abandonment of 2 other coaches Toms has played much better,in the 5 games prior to coaching change Toms was a minus 5,in his 4 games played since with the coaching changes he is a -1 big difference.
Actually the league website shows he was -12 in the 5 games prior to the coaching change.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just for clarification - he was minus-6 prior to the trade, minus-16 in eight games during his time in Windsor prior to the coaching change, and a minus-1 in five games since the coaching change. With that said, the Windsor thread would be a much better place for this type of discussion (plus-minus in x-number of games). Do I think Windsor deals him? No. He's shown he can be reliable so, unless Bowler is given an offer he can't refuse, Toms sticks around.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I'm still at a loss over the Sudbury/Niagara trade for the Wolves.....

This being said, is Dom the only other 'well-known' goalie that will potentially be traded or will NB keep him going into the deadline?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

This being said, is Dom the only other 'well-known' goalie that will potentially be traded or will NB keep him going into the deadline?
Who’s left that needs a goalie? The Soo? Seems like every other contender has their tandems set atm.

smokeshow27

Jan 8, 2013
North Bay

Vondras leaves for World Juniors this week. 8 Games with Just Krawchuck . u assume this was not something they where willing to gamble with.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Schenkel and Miller have been putting together some good games as of late so it's questionable if we'll actually trade for a Goalie
Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at too. Heck if Dom's numbers don't pick up, he could very well be back for an OA season anyhow. NB might not need to move him this year.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at too. Heck if Dom's numbers don't pick up, he could very well be back for an OA season anyhow. NB might not need to move him this year.
His stats are questionable but he is still a Team Canada invite so he has the potential...will be interesting to see if he makes the team and then how that impacts his overall value if he is traded...

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Peterborough will likely be doing at minimum a small rebuild. They will most certainly trade Owen Beck and they will likely trade Sam Mayer. There is a good chance they will also trade Konnor Smith if they do a larger rebuild. They may trade Jonathan Melee for the right price but he is likely to return as an overage so he is likely staying in Peterborough. It highly doubtful that they will trade Donavan McCoy. They will likely listen to offers for him but unless they get an offer they cannot refuse he will remain a Pete. Liam Sztuska could also be traded. Jax Dubois, Tommy Purdeller, Chase Lefebvre and Cam Gauvreau will likely not be traded.

The Petes likely needs going into the trade deadline include a good young forward likely a centre and a 17 year old left defenceman. They will also want to acquire three, 2nd (including one in 2024), two or three, 3rds and one or two, 4ths over the next three drafts. They will likely get a 16 or 17 year old forward plus two, 2nds and a 3rd for Beck and a defenceman plus a 2nd and 4th for Mayer. If they get a defenceman in a deal for Sam Mayer they may take just draft picks for Smith they likely would want a 2nd and a 3rd or a 4th. In any deal for Melee or McCoy they would want a player in return for each plus draft picks. They like it would take draft picks if they traded Liam Sztuska. I would expect they could a couple of 3rds similar to what Niagara got for Marcus Vandenberg.

Owen Beck is likely the best centre available at the trade deadline. He plays a 200 foot game. There have been some people on these threads who question his offensive ability. He has scored 16 goals and has 14 assists for 30 points in 25 games played. He has a 63.3 face off win percentage and plays a physical game. He also has a winning pedigree with a gold metal from the World Juniors with Team Canada and an assist OHL Championship with Peterborough last year. The other centres that are not overages that could be available include: Paul Ludwinski in Kingston, Pamo Fimis in Erie and Beau Jelsma in Barrie. All are good players but Beck is the better player. He tied for the lead among the four in points per game with Ludwinski and leads all them in goals with 16. He is also the best all round of all of them.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Ryan Abraham’s face off win percentage is only average at 47.8. He showed a lot of promise the last two seasons but only has 5 goals and 5 assists in 24 games this year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The Peterborough will likely be doing at minimum a small rebuild. They will most certainly trade Owen Beck and they will likely trade Sam Mayer. There is a good chance they will also trade Konnor Smith if they do a larger rebuild. They may trade Jonathan Melee for the right price but he is likely to return as an overage so he is likely staying in Peterborough. It highly doubtful that they will trade Donavan McCoy. They will likely listen to offers for him but unless they get an offer they cannot refuse he will remain a Pete. Liam Sztuska could also be traded. Jax Dubois, Tommy Purdeller, Chase Lefebvre and Cam Gauvreau will likely not be traded.

The Petes likely needs going into the trade deadline include a good young forward likely a centre and a 17 year old left defenceman. They will also want to acquire three, 2nd (including one in 2024), two or three, 3rds and one or two, 4ths over the next three drafts. They will likely get a 16 or 17 year old forward plus two, 2nds and a 3rd for Beck and a defenceman plus a 2nd and 4th for Mayer. If they get a defenceman in a deal for Sam Mayer they may take just draft picks for Smith they likely would want a 2nd and a 3rd or a 4th. In any deal for Melee or McCoy they would want a player in return for each plus draft picks. They like it would take draft picks if they traded Liam Sztuska. I would expect they could a couple of 3rds similar to what Niagara got for Marcus Vandenberg.

Owen Beck is likely the best centre available at the trade deadline. He plays a 200 foot game. There have been some people on these threads who question his offensive ability. He has scored 16 goals and has 14 assists for 30 points in 25 games played. He has a 63.3 face off win percentage and plays a physical game. He also has a winning pedigree with a gold metal from the World Juniors with Team Canada and an assist OHL Championship with Peterborough last year. The other centres that are not overages that could be available include: Paul Ludwinski in Kingston, Pamo Fimis in Erie and Beau Jelsma in Barrie. All are good players but Beck is the better player. He tied for the lead among the four in points per game with Ludwinski and leads all them in goals with 16. He is also the best all round of all of them.
You'd make a good used car sales person. Other than Beck the other deals you proposed are too steep. Your not going to get players and high picks for most of those players.

Don't think Fimas will be moved but Jelsma might for the right price. Jelsma would be a great fit for most contenders.

Abraham has had injury woes but is playing better now. I think teams will see the potential and take a shot on him for the right price. He might be the surprise "steal" of the deadline.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You'd make a good used car sales person. Other than Beck the other deals you proposed are too steep. Your not going to get players and high picks for most of those players.

Don't think Fimas will be moved but Jelsma might for the right price. Jelsma would be a great fit for most contenders.

Abraham has had injury woes but is playing better now. I think teams will see the potential and take a shot on him for the right price. He might be the surprise "steal" of the deadline.
I think I bought a car off that fellow? Said an old lady owned it. Never drove in the summer because it was nice for walking and winter was too dangerous to drive. As armchair GMs we all over price the value of players. GMs have to look at their individual situations and where their teams are at a particular moment in the season and decide which direction is best going forward. It's easy for a GM to look at their squad and think they have a chance for a run only to get beat soundly in the first round and leave the cupboard empty for a few seasons. GMs also have the responsibility to make a profit for owners so that has to factor in also. We tend to forget this part of the game. Fun to speculate. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad