Trade Deadline 23/24

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You'd make a good used car sales person. Other than Beck the other deals you proposed are too steep. Your not going to get players and high picks for most of those players.

Don't think Fimas will be moved but Jelsma might for the right price. Jelsma would be a great fit for most contenders.

Abraham has had injury woes but is playing better now. I think teams will see the potential and take a shot on him for the right price. He might be the surprise "steal" of the deadline.
he also said Lockhart would only be traded for a 2nd and 3rd and Simpson wouldn’t be traded right away. he is a fan, no doubt, but not a balanced look at things

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Can someone remind me of the freeze for World Juniors? Is it just the players that are playing in World Jrs that can't be traded or is it a freeze for the entire league during that time?

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Can someone remind me of the freeze for World Juniors? Is it just the players that are playing in World Jrs that can't be traded or is it a freeze for the entire league during that time?
There is a freeze for all over Christmas break and WJC players trade freeze lasts longer, until the team is eliminated/tournament is over I believe.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
kingston confuses me. they should be looking at next year.
I was with you at first but trade #2 makes the Schmidt trade make a lot more sense

1702409897702.png

Essentially Schmidt + 3rd for Budnick

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
As we inch closer to the trade deadline, here is an updated look at the Owen Beck trade power rankings! Saginaw holds strong at #1 for a third week, with both Sudbury and Soo jumping the London Knights who are down to #4. Should be an interesting next few weeks as the market as a whole comes to fruition for all players involved
1702915008405.png

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The OHL Trade Feeze is now until Dec. 27? (given first games back are the 28th)
Well what I heard is noon tomorrow until noon on the 27th. Makes sense but until the league actually publishes info like this we are left guessing! Why this league can't keep it's fans informed is beyond me?!

They have time to put together a meaningless power ranking but not time to keep their fans informed with " real" information.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well what I heard is noon tomorrow until noon on the 27th. Makes sense but until the league actually publishes info like this we are left guessing! Why this league can't keep it's fans informed is beyond me?!

They have time to put together a meaningless power ranking but not time to keep their fans informed with " real" information.

The only reason I guessed today was because I looked on Twitter from several years ago and the dates kind of lined up. The league really does need to publish this stuff; it'd be a huge help.

Edit: Someone (a fan, I believe) just posted on Twitter that it's noon today until the 28th... so... I don't know. Roughly next 12-24ishishish hours... until sometime after Boxing Day lol

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
As we inch closer to the trade deadline, here is an updated look at the Owen Beck trade power rankings! Saginaw holds strong at #1 for a third week, with both Sudbury and Soo jumping the London Knights who are down to #4. Should be an interesting next few weeks as the market as a whole comes to fruition for all players involved
View attachment 785688
What is this even based on

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
What is this even based on
When you look at rankings it's really misconstrued. The people posting the OHL Power Rankings don't take into consideration teams having players inured, sick or away at the WJT. Take a bunch of vets out of any teams line up and replace them with rookies from JR. B and they will struggle against a full team of veteran players. Yet the local team TV analyst will go on like their team just won the Mem Cup. It's not a measuring stick for anything other than to give some fans fleeting hope it stays like this until next week when it changes again.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
When you look at rankings it's really misconstrued. The people posting the OHL Power Rankings don't take into consideration teams having players inured, sick or away at the WJT. Take a bunch of vets out of any teams line up and replace them with rookies from JR. B and they will struggle against a full team of veteran players. Yet the local team TV analyst will go on like their team just won the Mem Cup. It's not a measuring stick for anything other than to give some fans fleeting hope it stays like this until next week when it changes again.

Are you saying that the Soo is ahead of Rangers due to injuries? Surely I hope not. We had less players than Kitchener did. Just saying. I don’t think this stands true for anyone on the rankings by the way.

Can you explain what you mean? Which teams or which rankings are off because of what you mentioned? Because it’s only one game we’ve played without our WJC players ( Soo )

We are at the halfway point, I think we can stop saying that the power rankings are wrong or off and start accepting the teams that are at the top are the best teams in the league. lol. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
unlike the CHL rankings which is mostly based on standings, I think the power rankings are based on what the team looks like now and moving forward

Reactions: OMG67 and bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Are you saying that the Soo is ahead of Rangers due to injuries? Surely I hope not. We had less players than Kitchener did. Just saying. I don’t think this stands true for anyone on the rankings by the way.

Can you explain what you mean? Which teams or which rankings are off because of what you mentioned? Because it’s only one game we’ve played without our WJC players ( Soo )

We are at the halfway point, I think we can stop saying that the power rankings are wrong or off and start accepting the teams that are at the top are the best teams in the league. lol. 😂
HF92 what I said was a simple fact. Looking at league points the Rangers are first in the league at this point in time. This is a real measuring stick. Actually a rebuild year for the Rangers where they found a horse shoe and had some players step up their games unexpectedly. I have my doubts they stay where they are. This is what counts not phony ranking that changes by the week. If you want to spin it your way and that makes you happy all the more power to you. Any OHL fan has the mental capacity to understand which teams are contenders this season and which are not expects these teams to be at the top of the rankings week in and out. The only way they drop out is if their GM decides to sell off his top players. It's the same with the CHL rankings that come out. They don't always produce the over all champion.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
HF92 what I said was a simple fact. Looking at league points the Rangers are first in the league at this point in time. This is a real measuring stick. Actually a rebuild year for the Rangers where they found a horse shoe and had some players step up their games unexpectedly. I have my doubts they stay where they are. This is what counts not phony ranking that changes by the week. If you want to spin it your way and that makes you happy all the more power to you. Any OHL fan has the mental capacity to understand which teams are contenders this season and which are not expects these teams to be at the top of the rankings week in and out. The only way they drop out is if their GM decides to sell off his top players. It's the same with the CHL rankings that come out. They don't always produce the over all champion.

No… because they are weekly rankings. They literally have a date on them for what the rankings are for. I don’t use my mental capacity to say that whoever is ranked #1 this week will win the Ohl championship lol I look at it at weekly… if there is consistency with a team on that ranking from week 1 to now, that’s a positive trend.

I don’t ever look at it with the perspective that you’re mentioning so maybe that’s why I don’t care too much about the rankings haha but I just think it’s silly to discredit the current ranking due to WJC players missing, when the Hounds played one in that scenario and it was against the Rangers….

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The CHL top 10 rankings have always been based on overall standings. Most have considered that to be the wrong criteria. Usually the to 3 or 4 are accurate because many of the teams in the top 3 have less than 5 losses. But, the teams int he back half of the top 10 as well as the honourable mentions are usually skewed toward their record.

The Power Rankings are a more accurate depiction of where a team is right now. If a .550 team through the deadline goes and blows their brains out at the deadline and massively improves their team and goes on a 20 game win streak post deadline but has 15 losses int he first half, the CHL top 10 Rankings may not have them top 10 because fo their record but they are on a 20 game heater after the deadline. The power rankings would have them firs tin their league where they should be.

The Power Rankings are a more clear indicator of where a team is right now. Recent play is weighted heavier than full year play.

With respect to who the best team is, the first month of games can be very skewed towards the returning teams that were strong last year. Teams that were weaker last year tend to take a little extra time to find their stride. We saw that in Peterborough and Ottawa in the Eastern Conference. Saginaw took a little time to get going. Now they are maybe the best team int he league but not in the standings.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
No… because they are weekly rankings. They literally have a date on them for what the rankings are for. I don’t use my mental capacity to say that whoever is ranked #1 this week will win the Ohl championship lol I look at it at weekly… if there is consistency with a team on that ranking from week 1 to now, that’s a positive trend.

I don’t ever look at it with the perspective that you’re mentioning so maybe that’s why I don’t care too much about the rankings haha but I just think it’s silly to discredit the current ranking due to WJC players missing, when the Hounds played one in that scenario and it was against the Rangers….
You see HF92 my point goes right over your head. I was never referring to any particular team or individual game. You are the one looking for something that wasn't mentioned. If you look at it your way the Soo beat the Rangers and deservedly so. Next game they lost to Guelph. Does this mean the Storm should jump ahead of the Soo? Personally I think Gerry Seinfeld does both rankings for the OHL and CHL simply because it's so damn obvious. :) Last year everyone had the Knights floundering in the cellar. At the end they were the team to beat. Also many counted the Petes out of the picture last season. As OMG said the ranking is only a measurement of this point in time . If you want me to say the Soo is a skilled team okay. As Bobber Seinfeld would say 'That is obvious also".

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
trust me it didn’t go over my head. I stated above I don’t put much stock into the power rankings.

Still trying to figure out how you’ve come to the conclusion the rankings are off due to players missing for WJC lol

Just sounds like there’s a ton of discredit to teams that have consistently been in the top 5 all year long in the standings , now that they’re on the power rankings. I mean hell we have OHL Media calling the Soo Greyhounds pretenders.
( two teams consistently at the top of west SSM/KIT, the two teams I believe are stronger than Saginaw because they haven’t made ANY moves where as Saginaw has already shaped half their team lol )

Reactions: bobber

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes