Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2024 (buy low, sell high) - poll added (3/8/24)

What grade do you give BMac for the TDL?

• A

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • B

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • C

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • F

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Why won’t anyone overpay for our career backup and 4C?!?!
Lindgren aint a career backup and Dowd is one of the better 4C's in the league! I bet ya teams were not offering enough for BMac to agree on a deal. Also so many teams traded away their pick chips, that teams had little left to trade for either of them.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1709929443535.gif

Reactions: Rockingred12 and um

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Some people just want something to be miserable about.

I'm more excited for this run-in to the playoffs than any stretch of a Caps' season in a while.

If they fade, they get another shot at a top-15 or better talent. If they make a run at the playoffs, it means the kids are legit. Looking forward to seeing what happens.
Preach, NBTW!!

As Dowd is a neighbor of mine I am selfishly ecstatic he did not get moved. Such a down to earth guy and so friendly.
Big John lives in my neighborhood. Talk about another guy that’s super low-key and kind.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
As Dowd is a neighbor of mine I am selfishly ecstatic he did not get moved. Such a down to earth guy and so friendly.

He seems like it through interviews and his play on the ice. The team seems to love him. I always though him and his buddy Jensen would go in a package. Some of the playoff teams might regret it if those were their missing pieces.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe they left a fourth on the table for Pacioretty but...they have enough picks.

Will be interesting whether they have a push in them. PHI sold Walker and added Gurianov/EJohnson. TBL added Duclair/Dumba. NYI & DET didn't add. PIT sold their piece. So...they have a shot. Going to need Fehervary back and for the D generally to up their game.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
The craziest thing about Vegas to me isn't even the contortions they do to fit under the cap, it's where they find the assets for all these trades. In a two and a half year span they've traded for Jack Eichel, Ivan Barbashev, Anthony Mantha, Noah Hanifin, and Tomas Hertl. That's two 1Cs, two solid middle six wingers, and a 1st pairing defenseman. Only the wingers were rentals when they traded for them and didn't have an extension lined up, and they extended Barbashev the next summer anyway. Where do they keep coming up with assets to trade for top line/pairing players? And they still have their 1st rounder this year?!

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Some people just want something to be miserable about.

I'm more excited for this run-in to the playoffs than any stretch of a Caps' season in a while.

If they fade, they get another shot at a top-15 or better talent. If they make a run at the playoffs, it means the kids are legit. Looking forward to seeing what happens.
Couldn't agree more. If they happen to make the playoffs, the kids will gain valuable playoff experience. The value of that is hard to overstate. Especially now that they're stepping into more prominent roles. That's how teams mature together and build lasting chemistry.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The craziest thing about Vegas to me isn't even the contortions they do to fit under the cap, it's where they find the assets for all these trades. In a two and a half year span they've traded for Jack Eichel, Ivan Barbashev, Anthony Mantha, Noah Hanifin, and Tomas Hertl. That's two 1Cs, two solid middle six wingers, and a 1st pairing defenseman. Only the wingers were rentals when they traded for them and didn't have an extension lined up, and they extended Barbashev the next summer anyway. Where do they keep coming up with assets to trade for top line/pairing players? And they still have their 1st rounder this year?!

Yeah it seems like they try hard to improve while other GMs sit on their asses. Funny sport.

Reactions: Rockingred12 and um

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Ovechkin and Dowd, eh?

By neighbor do you mean you camp outside their house and tell them about the specials at Red Lobster?
Hahahha. Dowd moved into the neighborhood OV used to live in when he came to the US. I have been here the whole time. It’s only a mile or so from the practice rink.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
GMBM did very well, got picks galore, got good value, somehow got someone to take Kuzy

And just as important, didn't make any bad/regrettable trades

For those that wanted more, this ain't video game GM where you just press buttons, plus looks like Patches turned down a move with his NMC

And for those that want to see the kids play, well here we are

Hard to complain about this TDL

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Leafs and Rangers I think. Maybe not the year to be uber-aggressive but neither are any more formidable. Also the Kings & Devils for not really addressing their needs in net.

Overall pretty normal business for the Caps given where they're at. It may be dodgy trying to compete while not entirely falling into the draft's mushy middle. Starting tomorrow they've got nine games in 16 days and that pretty well ought to determine whether they've got the fortitude to compete. WPGx2, EDM & VAN on the road, TOR, CAR. Heavy lifting for the kids.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The issue isn’t not trading Patches, the issue is giving him the NMC in the first place. Many of us called that part of the deal perplexing back in the summer, and it’s sad that it came back to bite them.

Fingers crossed they can get value for Dowd and Lindgren at the draft. Neither of them will have more value than they have right now.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
The issue isn’t not trading Patches, the issue is giving him the NMC in the first place. Many of us called that part of the deal perplexing back in the summer, and it’s sad that it came back to bite them.

Fingers crossed they can get value for Dowd and Lindgren at the draft. Neither of them will have more value than they have right now.
Looking at the market for veteran wingers this year, that NMC cost the Caps, what, a 4th round pick a year or two from now at best? Roslovic at 50% got a conditional 2026 4th, Maroon got a conditional 2026 6th and a warm body, Zucker got a 2024 6th, Okposo got a conditional 2024 7th and a warm body. Not a huge deal, and who knows if he even would've signed here in the first place if they hadn't offered the NMC.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018

Grier is not so good at this whole thing.

What a weird move. They trade a bad goalie for an equally bad goalie with an extra year on his contract. I guess they think they can fix Vanecek and flip him at next year's deadline?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection

Caps and Patches both did each other a favor

Patches gave Caps potentially a scoring winger
Caps gave Patches a chance to play in the NHL again
Caps gave Patches the courtesy of an established veteran the option of a NMC
I don't fault the Caps or Pac nor consider it "biting them" , neither "needed" to ever agree on terms in the 1st place to bring him here

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Caps and Patches both did each other a favor

Patches gave Caps potentially a scoring winger
Caps gave Patches a chance to play in the NHL again
Caps gave Patches the courtesy of an established veteran the option of a NMC
I don't fault the Caps or Pac nor consider it "biting them" , neither "needed" to ever agree on terms in the 1st place to bring him here
Agreed, it was a prove it contract for a guy with a lengthy injury history. Plus, there’s the human element of Patches being an older guy with a family. I wouldn’t want to uproot my family in the middle of a season either.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
For all we know, there's mutual interest in another go at it next year with Patches and the Caps.

Like I said, some people just want to find something to be miserable about.

Wow, they may have missed out on a mid-late pick because they didn't predict a LTIRetirement and the captain suffering from unprecedented goalscoring droughts, and instead attempted a value addition for a potential playoff run. Big whoop. It will hurt them 0 in any term.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Would've it been nice to get a pick for Pac? Sure, but it's not like we laid out 5M or sum'n outlandish

Grand scheme we did very good, there's easily 15 teams that did worse, likely 20+ or maybe even 25+

at 1st glance VGK and CAR are the big movers, I'd wager (if you want to call it a competition) that WSH would place in Top-10 for TDL performance

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad