Speculation: Trade Deadline 2022 - Part II

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
not that long ago someone used vegas as an example of why nill should be fired. no thank you. no org is perfect, but sheesh have they looked bad.

What Nill is one of the absolute best at is treating his staff and players like people, and taking good care of them. When that doesn’t happen you get organizations like Ottawa or Vegas or even Buffalo and Edmonton. It’s a quick way to f*** up an organization long term.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think McKenna once said the best he was ever treated while he was a player was when he was with Dallas/Texas that one season . Nill was allways honest and open about everything. No secret rumblings no behind the back stuff. Just treated as a well respected human beeing.

There's alot of things you can absolutely critizise Nill for but not for how players get treated. That supposedly is absolutely first class and is a big reason why players sign with the Stars and like to stay here.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: Klingberg replacement. I think with the cap situation we are in, we will have a 3 pronged approach that relies a lot on hope:

- Hope that Miro steps his offensive game up in Klingbergs absence. I think he will but he will never be as dynamic on the PP. He may be able to outproduce Klinger at even strength though. Either way, I think Miro’s production will increase without Klingberg on the team.
- Hope that Harley takes a step forward and replaces a portion or Klingberg’s offense. Again, he will never be as dynamic as Klingberg but I suspect his production will increase significantly next year. Which isn’t hard because I think he has 2 points right now.
- Sign a steady bottom pairing guy to eat up some of the even strength minutes Klingberg would’ve played.

It’s not ideal but our options are limited.

Reactions: Elysian

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Re: Klingberg replacement. I think with the cap situation we are in, we will have a 3 pronged approach that relies a lot on hope:

- Hope that Miro steps his offensive game up in Klingbergs absence. I think he will but he will never be as dynamic on the PP. He may be able to outproduce Klinger at even strength though. Either way, I think Miro’s production will increase without Klingberg on the team.
- Hope that Harley takes a step forward and replaces a portion or Klingberg’s offense. Again, he will never be as dynamic as Klingberg but I suspect his production will increase significantly next year. Which isn’t hard because I think he has 2 points right now.
- Sign a steady bottom pairing guy to eat up some of the even strength minutes Klingberg would’ve played.

It’s not ideal but our options are limited.
Yeah I think the Stars don't need a clone of Klingberg to come in. In an ideal world a top 4 RHD, but yeah they might be able to get away with a bottom pair guy. If Harley takes a step forward can play the 3 D pairs fairly evenly.

Heiskanen PP1
Suter Harley PP2 (if want 2 D)

Lindell-Hesikanen
Suter-Hakanpaa/X
Harley-Hakanpaa/X

Reactions: Kipper 17

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Not really… I’m just trying to understand who’s going to replace Klingberg’s minutes?

No one has really had a good answer so far, despite shitting on the idea of a Myers deal.
You've received fantastic answers from many of our boards most knowledgeable posters. They are a lot more polite than I am. The simple answer to your proposal is that it is terrible even as a starting point for discussion and you don't deserve the quality of responses that you've received. Your failure to consider reasonable information is no one's problem but your own.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Re: Vegas

Is there any particular reason they need this trade done before the deadline? Like the only difference between this and making the trade tomorrow is they can't use Moore or Kesler in the postseason but afaik they wouldn't have been healthy options either way. Obviously Anaheim or whichever team is out of the P/Os and willing to make this trade won't care who they can or can't use after the regular season.

I'm just not really sure what the big deal is. I don't think any of Ottawa, Vegas, or Anaheim are going to be penalized draft picks just because the error seems to be made by central registry who goes through the process of confirming trades largely so they can make sure those trades are valid ...

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Re: Vegas

Is there any particular reason they need this trade done before the deadline? Like the only difference between this and making the trade tomorrow is they can't use Moore or Kesler in the postseason but afaik they wouldn't have been healthy options either way. Obviously Anaheim or whichever team is out of the P/Os and willing to make this trade won't care who they can or can't use after the regular season.

I'm just not really sure what the big deal is. I don't think any of Ottawa, Vegas, or Anaheim are going to be penalized draft picks just because the error seems to be made by central registry who goes through the process of confirming trades largely so they can make sure those trades are valid ...
Vegas will probably have to add more after the deadline since that player can’t play at all until next season. If I were another team I would make them pay a shitload. They know they’re desperate to get that salary so they can take their fake injured players off of LTIR.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Vegas will probably have to add more after the deadline since that player can’t play at all until next season. If I were another team I would make them pay a shitload. They know they’re desperate to get that salary so they can take their fake injured players off of LTIR.
Are you sure this is true? My understanding is that the trade deadline only impacts postseason eligibility. ie. if you pick up a player after the TDL they can finish the regular season with you but can't play in the postseason.

I have seen some stuff tweeted that is consistent with what you're saying though.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Are you sure this is true? My understanding is that the trade deadline only impacts postseason eligibility. ie. if you pick up a player after the TDL they can finish the regular season with you but can't play in the postseason.

I have seen some stuff tweeted that is consistent with what you're saying though.
Pretty sure he can’t play in the regular season either.

Reactions: hairylikebear

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
not that long ago someone used vegas as an example of why nill should be fired. no thank you. no org is perfect, but sheesh have they looked bad.

It was probably me, and despite the cap clusterf***, I wish our team was as competitive as a healthy Vegas Golden Knights team. They've won a lot of playoff games. I have no clue if their approach will pan out, I'm going to lean no, but the golden knights have had a ton of success. In 4 years they have won 6 playoff rounds, made the cup finals once, the conference finals once and acquired Eichel, Stone, and Pacioretty. On a results basis, they've won more in 4 years than Nill has in his entire tenure, and I suspect that would hold true for the majority of the teams in the league.

They've swung big and are basically the only team that has looked like a contending threat without ever having a lottery pick. Like you said, they are absolutely not a perfect organization, especially when it comes to treating players (though I've not heard specific examples outside of the Fleury debacle). I think a lot of the crap they get is mostly because they had the audacity to make trades and be good immediately. It's ironic they get roasted for all the wheeling and dealing, because they're the only team in the league that has tried to win without tanking first. They're basically the best blueprint for that kind of team building.

For once, this Dadonov situation isn't remotely their fault, it is completely on Ottawa for telling them there was no NTC. Unlucky for them that Ottawa and the NHL are so incompetent that neither can keep track of which players have NTCs. It's kind of insane that GMs are probably browsing capfriendly like the rest of us for details on contract terms and that the NHL doesn't have some sort of database for these things. I think the NHL made the right decision here, but also think Ottawa deserves some sort of punishment for how this was handled. I suppose the NHL will have to do a more thorough investigation to figure out what went wrong, but hopefully there are consequences.

I'm also gonna say there's some irony in considering the Stars a shining beacon after the year they've had, especially with all the Klingberg signing/trade and Bowness drama. It's not anywhere near the level Vegas has gotten criticism for, but it's not been a good year for Dallas Stars management-player relations, especially with how perfect they've been about player treatment in the past.

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

I used to think the same as you, but I've seen several sources say that Dadonov would not be eligible to play in the regular season because he has an active contract. There is some slight nuance, from what I've read a player can play for the rest of the regular season if they were signed after the deadline. They would not be eligible to play in the playoffs, though. Kind of a weird rule and I don't understand the spirt of why they would do it this way, but those are the rules.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It was probably me, and despite the cap clusterf***, I wish our team was as competitive as a healthy Vegas Golden Knights team. They've won a lot of playoff games. I have no clue if their approach will pan out, I'm going to lean no, but the golden knights have had a ton of success. In 4 years they have won 6 playoff rounds, made the cup finals once, the conference finals once and acquired Eichel, Stone, and Pacioretty. On a results basis, they've won more in 4 years than Nill has in his entire tenure, and I suspect that would hold true for the majority of the teams in the league.
There's a lot to building an exemplary franchise. Just like with any business, it's not only about the quality of the end product. I think VGK caught lightning in a bottle with their first few seasons with an extremely coherent roster, but as that initial energy has faded it has revealed a few potential areas of weakness that may not be completely conducive to the long term stability and success. Maybe it's a total red herring and they are completely fine. After all everyone makes mistakes, but it's something to watch out for.

It's kind of like how our shallow prospect pool (until recently, fingers crossed) was likely a reflection of organizational incoherence - we can speculate on the specifics but for example, Nill's unreasonable trust in McDonnell, maybe some incoherence between the scouts and development staff, or an illogical CHL to AHL transition. I really don't have the insight to say for sure but those have been my gut reactions.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

It is true

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I don't have much love for VGK, but I'd like to see Eichel succeed.
I'm glad Nill is a nice guy, but I also respect some inspired GM'ming.

We should be closer to the middle than on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box

Don't think it was me, but I still love the cojones of that organization.

I think they've made some player/coach evaluation errors...DeBour over Gallant seems like a downgrade, spending Fleury's cap space on Dadonov and Brossoit was really silly.

So the front office is a tad bit too haphazard, but I'll take their ruthless pursuit of winning over Nill's patient approach any day.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
You've received fantastic answers from many of our boards most knowledgeable posters. They are a lot more polite than I am. The simple answer to your proposal is that it is terrible even as a starting point for discussion and you don't deserve the quality of responses that you've received. Your failure to consider reasonable information is no one's problem but your own.
Lmao.

Relax - it’s not that serious.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Lmao.

Relax - it’s not that serious.

Says the Canuck who spent a dozen posts whining about how we didn't want their garbage defenseman.

kermit-lipton.gif

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
A deal would look better if Faksa rather than Gurianov was going to Vancouver.

Nothing along any of this will even happen so no need to get fired up; if anything the Canucks won tonight and making this wild card race… well a race.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Losing Klingberg will hurt our D offensively depending on how Heiskanen comes in next season but another 6 million for years of Myers is basically Lindell 2.0… and we have Suter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad