Salary Cap: Trade Deadline 2017 - Bring on the crying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If they spend anything of significance on mediocre defensemen like Kulikov or Del Zotto I'll be beyond disappointed. The defensive roster is not what won them the cup last year so why would supposedly upgrading it with "depth" be the difference this go around?

If the team and forwards don't get back to the speed game of last year it won't matter who they trot out on the blueline, it'll just end up wasted assets. This obsession with depth for depth's sake is infuriating sometimes, especially when they have issues in the roles that actually were the difference in the Cup run.

Nothing JR does is going to fix the team unless they fix their internal issues, for sure.

But we have Daley and Maatta on the shelf until the playoffs and no update on Letang's condition. We have Ruhwedel, Gaunce, and Oleksy getting regular time in the rotation. Getting a legit NHL defenseman would help the team now and through the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just watched an interesting GMJR interview he mentioned that they have two offices set up for trades 1 in Pitt and the other in Chicago

Huh, that's actually pretty smart to do. Have Botterill run one and JR run the other. If one has a deal, they'd let the other know.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Nothing from JR at SN.
It was more a broad sit down interview about what he did last year, how he likes to get stuff done earlier, what he actually does on Deadline Day.
Pointless.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd like to see us explore something around DP+ for Duclair. Maybe even a 1st. That kid has a ton of talent. That could be a Schultz type situation.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
For those pretending like it's not JR's fault (or the regime's fault) Fleury isn't traded are ignoring the reality that JR supposedly sold MAF a fake bill of goods. Their offseason conversation should have gone like this:

"You are now Murray's back up. If you aren't comfortable playing 15 games next year, then you should consider waiving for a trade to teams on your protection list".

Instead it probably went something like:

"MAF we love you and think you are a number 1 goalie. You can win your job back if you outperform Murray".

Yeah, it should have started with JR telling Fleury it was over and Murray was the starter going forwards. It's also should have included that Fleury should jump on any starter position available if he wants to be a starter because there aren't many suitors. But you just ****ing know it involved telling him how great he was and that he could win the starting job back.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
For those pretending like it's not JR's fault (or the regime's fault) Fleury isn't traded are ignoring the reality that JR supposedly sold MAF a fake bill of goods. Their offseason conversation should have gone like this:

"You are now Murray's back up. If you aren't comfortable playing 15 games next year, then you should consider waiving for a trade to teams on your protection list".

Instead it probably went something like:

"MAF we love you and think you are a number 1 goalie. You can win your job back if you outperform Murray".

I too base my understanding of events on hypothetical counterfactuals I make up myself.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Steve Mears saying that GMJR has said, "I have learned in the last 24 hours that Marc Andre Fleury's preference is to play."

Mears went on to speculate that that could mean that MAF will be moved, but then also said, "where?...there really isn't a market for him."

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
why would they want MAF? when they have helly who is 5 million cheaper and just as good. waste of 5.75 million in cap space for them.

Yeah well that is all nice and good, but they're not making the playoffs with a roster that is quite a bit better than several teams out West. IMO.

I don't get the Jets' complete and utter inertia since entering the league. Cheveldayoff is positively glacial in terms of player movement.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I too base my understanding of events on hypothetical counterfactuals I make up myself.

:laugh: Everyone else is doing the same thing. Half the board just blamed David Morehouse and excused JR.

It's true I don't have the facts, but the buck stops with the GM for these moves and everything that's been reported publicly indicates that JR didn't actively try to move him last summer and overestimated the type of return they should get for MAF. Everything reported publicly could be made up, but what else are we to go on.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Steve Mears saying that GMJR has said, "I have learned in the last 24 hours that Marc Andre Fleury's preference is to play."

Mears went on to speculate that that could mean that MAF will be moved, but then also said, "where?...there really isn't a market for him."

How did JR just learn this in the last 24 hours :laugh:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yeah well that is all nice and good, but they're not making the playoffs with a roster that is quite a bit better than several teams out West. IMO.

I don't get the Jets' complete and utter inertia since entering the league. Cheveldayoff is positively glacial in terms of player movement.

getting a more expensive and worse goalie doesnt help them make the playoffs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

BRILLIANT!!!!

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

He means they're going to trade Murray to appease MAF :sarcasm:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Didn't JR himself express regret over the decision to keep both earlier this year?

That sort of implies that there were options. Though how much you choose to take JR at his word is an important consideration. Though I don't see the point in a ruse, in this instance.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Really just in the last 24 hours you learned that MAF prefers to play hockey on a regular basis?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

:laugh::help:

giphy.gif

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
:laugh: Everyone else is doing the same thing. Half the board just blamed David Morehouse and excused JR.

Y'all are crazy.

It's pretty clear going back to the offseason that the market for goalies is crap. A lot of teams are in similar positions with the expansion draft coming up, even if the Pens' is special because of what Murray has accomplished so far.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Gonna kinda suck losing Fehr'sy in about 15 minutes.
He'd hit, fight, scored big goals in our run last year...
Should've been Bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad