GDT: Trade Deadline 2016 | Come on Down, the Price is Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Unless I misheard Sakic, who is having a presser right now that the Avalanche Twitter feed is broadcasting on Periscope, I believe he said that they were NOT going to sign Bleackley and so they looked him as a 2nd round pick.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
- Bleackley wasn't going to be signed
- Boedker will play with Mackinnon and Landeskog
- Gelinas will play on the PP
- Gelinas will likely start with Bigras
- Berra will be in San Antonio for the rest of the season

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And I get it, they didn't give up a first or second or guys like Rantanen or Bigras. It's not catastrophic. But what they got was 18 games of two guys and a D that's probably going to block Zadorov. I just don't find that anything to be happy about.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
And I get it, they didn't give up a first or second or guys like Rantanen or Bigras. It's not catastrophic. But what they got was 18 games of two guys and a D that's probably going to block Zadorov. I just don't find that anything to be happy about.

This is one of the most annoying parts about acquiring Gelinas.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

If Gelinas blocks Zadorov from being called up, I still have to think that's more on Zadorov than Gelinas. Gelinas should effectively push Bodnarchuk out of the lineup, not mess with Zadorov.

Anyhow, y'all are acting like we've never iced Guenin, Holden and Redmond in the same lineup. Gelinas on our bottom pairing is a nice problem to have until we find out otherwise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the kind word. I know some people might think I care about prospect watching more than the Avs. That's not the case, I get that everything is done to benefit the Avs winning. Just that the big change was supposed to be the Avs developing a strong pipeline and farm team so that they could build a strong foundation, improve depth and build a solid contender for a long time. With the turnover in contracts next season they were finally going to get a group of young talent in the AHL and hope they'd develop into at least callup options. Now the FO is falling back to old habits, they've already punted one of their 3 draft classes and all this to go for it for 18 games and could fall out as early as tomorrow. I'm sorry but that makes my stomach turn.

The Avs still have their top ~4/5/6 prospects depending how you feel about them. This summer I rated Bleacks at #4 and Wood at #6 (I didn't consider Zadorov a prospect). Wood has probably maintained and Bleackley has fallen (at least behind Picks and Compher... behind Wood IMO). So I'd say the Avs traded their 6th and 7th best prospects ATM. They maintained their top guys and added. It is possible to build up depth as long as teams don't ship out their top guys consistently. They also have 6 out their 7 picks for the next two years. If they can hit in the top 2 rounds both years, the depth will be fine.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Smart GMs get done early while dumb GMs wait for an imaginary bidding war deadline day. Then there are Bennings...

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If Gelinas blocks Zadorov from being called up, I still have to think that's more on Zadorov than Gelinas. Gelinas should effectively push Bodnarchuk out of the lineup, not mess with Zadorov.

Zadorov should already have pushed Bod out of the lineup. There is no way between the viewings of Bod / Zadorov that anyone can say Bodnarchuk is actually a better player right now. Assuming we sign Barrie, we have 6 D for next year already excluding Zadorov...and since Gelinas seems to be somewhat of a project in of himself, not really sure I see a good spot for Zadorov.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Or it forces them to sit Holden. If Gelinas plays well they can always trade him as well. He'll be an RFA at the end of his deal, so they could recoup more than the pick spent to get him.

It's not really all that bad. If Zadorov is ready, there won't be anything blocking him. They'll sit Holden or Gelinas (or trade one of them) before they allow Zadorov to be blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad