Trade Deadline 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Eklund did break the Tim Thomas "cap floor" signing for us. He does hit, albeit rarely.

Leddy too.

He may of not reported it first but he had us tabbed on Leddy before we acquired him

However Eklund should not be trusted first hand ever. He runs that site for views and hits cause its his source of income, just does it for publicity and $$$. Most of the stuff is garbage but I still check anyway cause it gives me something to do and read. He is right once and a blue moon, but 99% of the time it is garbage.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Even B.D. Gallof (Islander blogger) I do not necessarily agree with everything he posts about the team, but if you read his last piece, he talked about Garth Snow always being on the phone to keep up to date with the price of players on the market, even if he knows he is not going to make a trade with that respected team. I think that could be were Eklund draws up his board and what not but still, Eklund is a far cry from a credible source.

Garth has always been tight lipped... Nobody saw that Vanek trade coming last yr, etc. Guy keeps it quiet and there is never that many leaks. Nobody knows what he is going to do or when he is going to do it. I kinda like that as an Islander fan. Cause if you fellas even remember last off-season Staple (another one who is a crackpot imo) said we were done, then Garth a couple of hrs later goes out and gets Grabovski and Kulemin.

I kinda like Snow in that way, he is sneaky haha

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Even B.D. Gallof (Islander blogger) I do not necessarily agree with everything he posts about the team, but if you read his last piece, he talked about Garth Snow always being on the phone to keep up to date with the price of players on the market, even if he knows he is not going to make a trade with that respected team. I think that could be were Eklund draws up his board and what not but still, Eklund is a far cry from a credible source.

Garth has always been tight lipped... Nobody saw that Vanek trade coming last yr, etc. Guy keeps it quiet and there is never that many leaks. Nobody knows what he is going to do or when he is going to do it. I kinda like that as an Islander fan. Cause if you fellas even remember last off-season Staple (another one who is a crackpot imo) said we were done, then Garth a couple of hrs later goes out and gets Grabovski and Kulemin.

I kinda like Snow in that way, he is sneaky haha

William S. Burroughs allegedly wrote Naked Lunch by taking "Interzone", an unconventional and imaginative short story he completed pre-NL, then (literally or figuratively, depending on the storyteller) cutting it into pieces before re-assembling it into the mostly coherent masterpiece we celebrate today. The truth is that Burroughs discovered Brion Gysin and his cut-up technique after Naked Lunch was published, but the story we've made to explain the unhinged genius of Naked Lunch is imaginative and illuminates a greater truth about Burroughs' work.

B.D. Gallof has the imaginative part down.

BroadwayJay*

William S. Burroughs allegedly wrote Naked Lunch by taking "Interzone", an unconventional and imaginative short story he completed pre-NL, then (literally or figuratively, depending on the storyteller) cutting it into pieces before re-assembling it into the mostly coherent masterpiece we celebrate today. The truth is that Burroughs discovered Brion Gysin and his cut-up technique after Naked Lunch was published, but the story we've made to explain the unhinged genius of Naked Lunch is imaginative and illuminates a greater truth about Burroughs' work.

You're like the English professor I always wished I had.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL

I agree with ya man. I never said I like B.D., but he is like Eklund in that sense in that he is right about a couple of things and then wrong. It is rarely fact based. Another good way of putting it is well worded fiction. He has got some good things here and there but I disagree with what he has to say most times then not. (he is definitely not as much as a bone head Eklund is though)

I do think though that we should stand pat at the deadline. Reasons being is that we do not have that many picks the next 2 yrs and that is bad in the salary cap era of hockey because you are not going to be able to retain everybody no matter how hard you try it will catch up to you - notable examples being Chicago and Boston, both of whom we have sniped core players from. Well, Leddy was not a core player yet for them but he is establishing himself as one for us.

Once everybody is healthy... We will be cooking again. We have been playing very inconsistent hockey in my book since the AS Break. Just not the Islander hockey we saw earlier this yr. We are 8-5-1 or something around there since he has been sidelined. Not great hockey, but we are holding our own. But unfortunately the injuries are now starting to pile up - Okposo, Cizikas, Grabovski, and now maybe Nielsen.

Shoot me down if you want as well, but I also think our depth is a tad bit overrated and the incompetent coaching staff makes it even worse. Look at the guy they called up a couple of days ago, Mouillierat. He played like a bonehead vs the Canucks yesterday and hurt us more than he helped us.

Injuries are a trying time for any club. It tests your depth, etc. Our Islander team was playing solid hockey before the all star break, but since then it has been pretty damn close to .500. I think that if there should be any moves at the deadline it should be to upgrade our depth. But even when we are 100% healthy the team's depth is fine because Grabner would be the likely scratch. Just a bad injury patch right now, forwards going down like flies. Just gotta try and ride it out until playoffs.

I do not see Garth making a home run move, because we already have a nice young solid core intact that hopefully will be around for a long time. If anything he will try and upgrade the depth. We are not even in the play offs yet. Gotta use the off-season to fix what needed to be fixed in the playoffs if we get knocked out early. We should not be buyers at the deadline, run the course .

Last edited:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
The premier goal for this yr is to make the playoffs, see how far you go, and then re-evaluate in the off-season what has to be done to go further. Our window is not going to be closing anytime soon because look how young our core forwards and defense are. This should not be the deadline were we go hard imo. Team is still very young.

We are in a great position to be in. And one of those blockbuster trades could be the end of us look at what Milbury did for example just to get into a win-now mode. Short window, that ultimately hurt our long term success and sustainable success for a long time. I am praying Garth does not make those same mistakes.

The team we have right now is built for sustainability and a window for the long term.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Cause if you fellas even remember last off-season Staple (another one who is a crackpot imo) said we were done, then Garth a couple of hrs later goes out and gets Grabovski and Kulemin.

Maybe there were done. Grabo/Kulemin were offered around day 1 and 2 of UFA i believe with minimal takers. Isles just happened to be a team that could take both AND overpay them. That deal still seems like it was brought to Snow, that he was pursuing them.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
You're like the English professor I always wished I had.

A while back, I taught Composition classes at St. Francis College in downtown Brooklyn. They were nursing students and they always told me I looked and sounded like the guy in the AT&T commercial who asks confused children nonsense questions. They did not much care for me, and based on that comparison, they did not much care for themselves.

I agree with ya man. I never said I like B.D., but he is like Eklund in that sense in that he is right about a couple of things and then wrong. It is rarely fact based. Another good way of putting it is well worded fiction. He has got some good things here and there but I disagree with what he has to say most times then not. (he is definitely not as much as a bone head Eklund is though)

I do think though that we should stand pat at the deadline. Reasons being is that we do not have that many picks the next 2 yrs and that is bad in the salary cap era of hockey because you are not going to be able to retain everybody no matter how hard you try it will catch up to you - notable examples being Chicago and Boston, both of whom we have sniped core players from. Well, Leddy was not a core player yet for them but he is establishing himself as one for us.

Shoot me down if you want as well, but I also think our depth is a tad bit overrated and the incompetent coaching staff makes it even worse. Look at the guy they called up a couple of days ago, Mouillierat. He played like a bonehead vs the Canucks yesterday and hurt us more than he helped us.

I do not see Garth making a home run move, because we already have a nice young solid core intact that hopefully will be around for a long time. If anything he will try and upgrade the depth. We are not even in the play offs yet. Gotta use the off-season to fix what needed to be fixed in the playoffs if we get knocked out early. We should not be buyers at the deadline, run the course .

Agree with all of this. I don't know if our depth is overstated, but I do believe it's less impressive to outsiders than it is to us. Fans have a way of overvaluing "our guys". I don't think other teams or fans look at CMac coming up from the AHL and say, "MY GOD THE DEPTH!!!" And I don't think Mallrat is ready for the pace of the NHL game. I'm not sure he's ready for the press box.

I completely agree with your conclusion. I would love a Phaneuf-type player, but the arguments other fans make against that sort of acquisition are logical; my argument in favor is emotional. I think a lot of it depends on what you think of our window to win a championship (a phrase I can't believe we get to use! **** yeah!). If your a fan who sees free agency, age, and the cap as enemies that are already working towards closing that window, you might say we have from now to the onset of Boychuk's decline (34 years of age or thereabouts is the average age for defensemen according to this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-players-peak-hockey-metrics-1.2646054). That's something of a pessimist's view, given that we do have some excellent defensive prospects, but one could argue that prospects are essentially raffle tickets. Having a bunch still guarantees nothing.

I don't know what I believe about this team's window to win a championship, but I don't honestly feel like we're there yet. No matter the improvements the team has made, the defense is still suspect. Strait, Vis, and Hickey are easily replaced (you can argue Hickey with me, but I've lost the ability to be objective about him; he gets manhandled constantly and it makes me nuts).

I would hate to see a deal for a rental, and I think a blockbuster for a Yandle type (blecch) might be short-sighted and ultimately damaging to the fine corps of young defensemen we're bringing along in Griff, Pulock, and Mayfield.

PoPo22

Nov 12, 2007
Is Garth known for using slight of hand? Not saying I think there definitely going to make a deal but completely throwing out the idea to one is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad