Trade Bait and a New Core.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Great article. It's funny to see people rushing to ship out RNH and Ebs for mediocre defensemen. I even saw someone mention Eberle for Phaneuf. We got Sekera for zero assets. It'll take time, but we can definitely rebuild the defense without destroying our forward depth.

Sour Grapes

Dec 24, 2015
I have to believe that with the amount of money coming off the books that we will be able to acquire some solid defensive help in the off season.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Great article. It's funny to see people rushing to ship out RNH and Ebs for mediocre defensemen. I even saw someone mention Eberle for Phaneuf. We got Sekera for zero assets. It'll take time, but we can definitely rebuild the defense without destroying our forward depth.

why not trade mediocre forwards for mediocre defensemen? sounds like a fair hockey trade to me. I see no reason to keep our forward core together any longer. even with McD, they are not good enough

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
why not trade mediocre forwards for mediocre defensemen? sounds like a fair hockey trade to me. I see no reason to keep our forward core together any longer. even with McD, they are not good enough

RNH and Eberle are not mediocre. Jesus wept.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
why not trade mediocre forwards for mediocre defensemen? sounds like a fair hockey trade to me.

They're not mediocre forwards though. RNH has value comparable to Ryan Johansen. Eberle is having a down year but his production the past few years is undeniable.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
You could make the argument that they are "mediocre" high-end forwards. Although I prefer the term "low impact", they won't win you many games, but they usually find a way to get their points.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
You could make the argument that they are "mediocre" high-end forwards. Although I prefer the term "low impact", they won't win you many games, but they usually find a way to get their points.

Points are individual achievements, wins are team thing.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
A guy who is consistently in the top 50 in the NHL in points is mediocre. Sure. :shakehead

yeah, yeah, yeah. most important player on the worst team in the league. Gets 50 points a year. Just like Shaun Horcoff did; another star player, right. He actually got 70 points one year. He must be better than RNH, right.

give a lot players 1st line minutes and first unit PP time, and they'll get 50 points. that is not an indication of quality. that is an indication of opportunity.

:shakehead:shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
yeah, yeah, yeah. most important player on the worst team in the league. Gets 50 points a year. Just like Shaun Horcoff did; another star player, right. He actually got 70 points one year. He must be better than RNH, right.

give a lot players 1st line minutes and first unit PP time, and they'll get 50 points. that is not an indication of quality. that is an indication of opportunity.

It's strange, then, that if anyone can do it, so few actually do.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
A guy who is consistently in the top 50 in the NHL in points is mediocre. Sure. :shakehead

If you put a guy like Eberle in a final against L.A., Chicago, Anaheim you would realize how little value the guy would have.

As someone said racking up points in garbage time means nothing.

I play fantasy sports and the one thing i always use is how a player performs against good teams, and Eberle consistently performs poorly against good/great teams.

Eberle is known around the league as a guy who plays on a poor team, and doesn't make them better is just good at totalling up the points.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Best post in a long time,

it baffles me that Eberle/RNH are praised there relied on to be offensive stars.

There equivalent to good teams 2nd-3rd line players, and that's the teams you would want to inquire trading with. To much bromance with these guys from way to many posters.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
If you put a guy like Eberle in a final against L.A., Chicago, Anaheim you would realize how little value the guy would have. As someone said racking up points in garbage time means nothing.

Points are points. I'd like to see some proof that garbage time is actually a thing.

I play fantasy sports and the one thing i always use is how a player performs against good teams, and Eberle consistently performs poorly against good/great teams.

What a shocker. I bet he's the only one. :shakehead

Eberle is known around the league as a guy who plays on a poor team, and doesn't make them better is just good at totalling up the points.

See above on the difference between individual points and team results.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
As someone said racking up points in garbage time means nothing.

How is playing against LA who was trying to make the playoffs in the last 2 weeks of last season garbage time?

It was the Oilers who had nothing to lose, not every other team

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Great article with an entertaining writing style. Your emphasis on how Chia built the B's D core in the past is of particular note. It can and should be done this way if possible.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
As always, your contributions are appreciated and add to the discussion.

I completely agree that while Nuge is not really a core piece anymore he is still very close to being in that group. I agree that trade would have to be for an established top pairing guy, but is it correct to say there would have to be a 'wow' factor even to a trade like that? The sort of trade where your instinctive reaction is "that's a big deal."

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
How is playing against LA who was trying to make the playoffs in the last 2 weeks of last season garbage time?

It was the Oilers who had nothing to lose, not every other team

That was a Kings team that played a whole lot of extra games you can see the difference this year, so point taken. This year is a better example of well rested club.

Garbage time is when your team is out of the playoffs and you can play loose. The real time of the year should be Oct - Jan.

There is more guys than Eberle that don't play well against good teams, and it's something you always take account in betting. If in any hypothetical situation you were talking about him playing for another team inquiring minds would not want to acquire Eberle it's partially because he plays for a bad team that he either gets the reaction.

a) it's not about them i.e. not good players to play with, nothing to play for, bad coaching = excuses.
b) they shouldn't be expected to do everything - yet they don't equal offensive dynamos there not balanced hockey players and there not players that put you over the top.

We're both Oiler fans but if fans really knew what other G.M.s thought of the Oilers player (exception of Hall, Mcdavid, Draisaitl/Nurse) they would realize there is a huge over rating of them. Johansen has struggled for a whole year, and another G.M felt he was still worth more than RNH.

If RNH is getting 50 points its a disappointment. Plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad