Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
I am thinking that Matthews is not happy in Toronto under Babcock... Yes Babcock went to the desert in the summer and it was quite public there was a rift ,,,,, Babcocks visit was to smooth it all out ... This season he has done the exact same thing... Last checked Matthews average ice time was 89th in the league behind 2 of his team mates in Tavares and Marner.. How can a player like Mattthews expect Max cap money if hes not playing Max Cap T.O.I. I think its part of a plan for the leafs to not offer him the max ,,,,, I think this could get quite ugly and soon... It may even ead to Matthews to wanting out of Toronto....

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Ducks don't need D so what do you think they would want back?

No idea. If they continue to extend two wins into a sustained resurgence it may all be moot. But it'd be a worthwhile inquiry.

My sense is, we're not close to acquiring a Pietrangelo . We're closer to acquiring Muzzin, as an example. If I'm Dubas, I ask about Alec Martinez as well. Two veterans with decent term left on a club well past it's due date. This to say if a first is in play, it should be a layered return.

Watching Carter Hart play as well as he has knowing we had the chance to draft him - and I was one of a few on record here before that draft stating we should have drafted him (or Clague) - stings and should be avoided when possible.

Given what's out there and how far we are from contention, I'd like to hold on to the first and look to move lesser assets and assess needs again in the off-season.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Zaitsev + Johnsson + 2nd round pick for Alex Pietrangelo...That is the deal i would be looking to make right now. Johnsson is easily replaced by Trevor Moore and we get that stud d man while also ridding ourselves of Zaitsevs contract long term.

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman
Marchment-Lindholm-Brown

Next year trade Marleau and replace with Grundstrom.

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Gardiner-Oz
Dermott-Hainsey

Next year replace Gardiner with Rosen and Hainsey with Liljegren and push Dermott up to 2nd pair.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
From HNIC it appears that Sandin and Kapanen are just not available. Glad to hear it.
As for what is available:
1st
Liljegren
Bracco

Looking for a top 4 RHD
St. Louis was mentioned as was Gudas.

Unless they have given up on Lily I would not move him (unless for AP and know that he will resign). As such, I prefer to go cheap on a dman. A McQuaid, Lovejoy type can probably be had for a 4th or lower or possibly Z. Maroon went for a 3rd and the rights to J.D. Dudek last year. He can probably be had for a 3rd or a 4th/5th and a prospect if the Leafs have any interest.

Reactions: Cobra777

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Zaitsev + Johnsson + 2nd round pick for Alex Pietrangelo...That is the deal i would be looking to make right now. Johnsson is easily replaced by Trevor Moore and we get that stud d man while also ridding ourselves of Zaitsevs contract long term.

Moore-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman
Marchment-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Gardiner-Oz
Dermott-Hainsey

Next year replace Gardiner with Rosen and Hainsey with Liljegren and push Dermott up to 2nd pair.

You wasted your timr writing that proposal... It's brutal.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No idea. If they continue to extend two wins into a sustained resurgence it may all be moot. But it'd be a worthwhile inquiry.

My sense is, we're not close to acquiring a Pietrangelo . We're closer to acquiring Muzzin, as an example. If I'm Dubas, I ask about Alec Martinez as well. Two veterans with decent term left on a club well past it's due date. This to say if a first is in play, it should be a layered return.

Watching Carter Hart play as well as he has knowing we had the chance to draft him - and I was one of a few on record here before that draft stating we should have drafted him (or Clague) - stings and should be avoided when possible.

Given what's out there and how far we are from contention, I'd like to hold on to the first and look to move lesser assets and assess needs again in the off-season.

Frustrating when Debrincat, Hart, Clague, Girard, Kyrou, Asplund, Parsons are available and the team reaches for Korshkov with the first pick of round #2.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I believe that his play has created more wins than loses for the Leafs. When he’s gone it will be extremely hard to replace him.
So, our Leafs have won more game number sevens, because of Gardiner, than our Leafs have lost because of Gardiner. Good to know. ;)

Reactions: Cobra777

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Before Nylander signed it was believed the leafs had an offer or at least a discussion with Columbus
Werenski and Anderson to Toronto.... A solid young top 4 d man and a Solid 3rd line or 4th line solid hard player in Anderson and not to mention the $$$ they would have saved...

Why this got no traction is beyond me ....

If that was an offer that Dubas turned down, he should be fired immediately..

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Frustrating when Debrincat, Hart, Clague, Girard, Kyrou, Asplund, Parsons are available and the team reaches for Korshkov with the first pick of round #2.

Ugh... when you say it that way, it really hits hard.

Was Korshkov a total stretch pick or was it seen as savvy? Who led that decision - Dubas or Hunter?

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ugh... when you say it that way, it really hits hard.

Was Korshkov a total stretch pick or was it seen as savvy? Who led that decision - Dubas or Hunter?

I believe it was Hunter's pick. My guess is that he was looking for size after drafting small skilled forwards the previous year. Other posters like Leafs93 would have more insight into the pick.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Not that I believe the source but it makes sense. I think Sandin has jumped over Liljegren on the prospect rankings.

9m for 8 years seems a bit much for a player who's got maybe 3-4 years of his prime right? Not even sure if he's going to finish over a ppg even if he does have 46p in 40 games currently.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Not that I believe the source but it makes sense. I think Sandin has jumped over Liljegren on the prospect rankings.

9m for 8 years seems a bit much for a player who's got maybe 3-4 years of his prime right? Not even sure if he's going to finish over a ppg even if he does have 46p in 40 games currently.

Crazy. The NHL will eventually learn the same way the MLB is learning not to hand out ridiculous long term contracts to (pending) free agents. Duch is already 28.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Moore-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman
Marchment-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Gardiner-Oz
Dermott-Hainsey

0% chance St. Louis takes that.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Three Trades to Bolster the Blue Line

Leafs - Rangers

Adam McQuaid
for
Martin Marincin

Leafs - Kings
Jake Muzzin & Cyle Clifford
for
Nikita Zaitsev, Jeremy Bracco, Andreas Borgman & Leafs 1st

Leafs - Flyers
Radko Gudas
for
Connor Brown & 3rd

LINES:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - - Marner
Marleau - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Clifford - Gauthier - Lindholm

Rielly - - - - - Muzzin
Gardiner - - - Gudas
Dermott - McQuaid
Hainsey

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
So, our Leafs have won more game number sevens, because of Gardiner, than our Leafs have lost because of Gardiner. Good to know. ;)
They’re wouldn’t have been any game sevens if it wasn’t for Gardiner’

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd be happy to offer a lot for AP. He's a perfect fit for Rielly. Big RHD. Eventually next year you roll that pairing as much as possible. 27+ mins/game. Let Dermott ease into top 4 minutes to replace Jake.

I'd imagine the price would start with Kapanen though. Maybe Dubas sees that as too much. Honestly, I don't.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd be happy to offer a lot for AP. He's a perfect fit for Rielly. Big RHD. Eventually next year you roll that pairing as much as possible. 27+ mins/game. Let Dermott ease into top 4 minutes to replace Jake.

I'd imagine the price would start with Kapanen though. Maybe Dubas sees that as too much. Honestly, I don't.

The problem is that it would cost us more than Kapanen more than likely and that becomes far too much for us when there are other ways of adding quality to our top 4.

Kapanen is cost controlled for awhile and having a big time breakout season. He's usually someone that rises in high pressure situations and that speed and grit going into the playoffs is very much needed.

Kapanen should be seen as untouchable, especially if you consider trading him for a player with only 1 year left on their deal, just like Tampa Bay didn't have to give up Point for McDonagh.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The problem is that it would cost us more than Kapanen more than likely and that becomes far too much for us when there are other ways of adding quality to our top 4.

Kapanen is cost controlled for awhile and having a big time breakout season. He's usually someone that rises in high pressure situations and that speed and grit going into the playoffs is very much needed.

Kapanen should be seen as untouchable, especially if you consider trading him for a player with only 1 year left on their deal, just like Tampa Bay didn't have to give up Point for McDonagh.

Kapanen should only go in trades for some like Parayko

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Unless they have given up on Lily I would not move him (unless for AP and know that he will resign). As such, I prefer to go cheap on a dman. A McQuaid, Lovejoy type can probably be had for a 4th or lower or possibly Z. Maroon went for a 3rd and the rights to J.D. Dudek last year. He can probably be had for a 3rd or a 4th/5th and a prospect if the Leafs have any interest.
I don’t think we are giving up on Lily.
These are the pieces (reported) available for the right deal.
The right deal is someone who can help us now and in years to come. Like a Parayko.
Pending UFAs would not include key pieces like this IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad