GDT: Trade and Free Agency Thread -- To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm surprised we haven't seen a Eichel or even a Tarasenko trade yet. A lot of teams go dark around these times and hardly anything happens, but those 2 players can't possibly stay on their respective teams after what was said.

I also hope the Rielly situation gets dealt with before the season starts. It might get really ugly for a lot of different reasons.

Reactions: geo25 and nuck

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Without another trade we're either starting with 6 D or one of Engvall/Spez/Simmonds is starting the year in the AHL,

What's the worst pick that people would trade Mikheyev for to open up the full flexibility to pick the best 22 man roster out camp?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm surprised we haven't seen a Eichel or even a Tarasenko trade yet. A lot of teams go dark around these times and hardly anything happens, but those 2 players can't possibly stay on their respective teams after what was said.

I also hope the Rielly situation gets dealt with before the season starts. It might get really ugly for a lot of different reasons.
I'd bet Eichel remains a Sabre.

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
3rd, and even then I would rather trade Engvall.
By my math to make up the difference in cap hit we'd have to run the predictable 20 man roster for 41 days without hiccup to be able to bring up Semyonov+ Liljegren (most expensive options) for the rest of the year without worry. During that time we could have one or the other up as needed, but it would add time until 22 daily becomes viable

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
By my math to make up the difference in cap hit we'd have to run the predictable 20 man roster for 41 days without hiccup to be able to bring up Semyonov+ Liljegren (most expensive options) for the rest of the year without worry. During that time we could have one or the other up as needed, but it would add time until 22 daily becomes viable

We don’t need to carry multiple spares for the whole season. If we’re going on a long road trip, sure bring a few guys with us, just in case. With the Marlies in Toronto, there’s no reason to eat up the cap space.

Reactions: Sypher04 and Erndog

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I don't see any scenario where it gets ugly with Rielly

Reactions: ACC1224

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We don’t need to carry multiple spares for the whole season. If we’re going on a long road trip, sure bring a few guys with us, just in case. With the Marlies in Toronto, there’s no reason to eat up the cap space.
We dont need to carry them, but we do be able to have them at any given time. The continous struggle of not being able to give guys maintenance days, not being able to bench someone, having to put guys on ten day ltir for minor injuries, having to waive someone to cover any of the above, not being able to freely call up any single marlie when warranted - is needless and not at all best practice

Reactions: Korg

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
From the main board:

Told the #stlblues are not an option for future Hall of Fame Dman Zdeno Chara. His focus, if he plays, will be to stay in the East to remain close to his family.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Trading Rielly would be a bold move with your job on the line but if Rielly is expected to be too expensive next summer it's the correct move even if the return is underwhelming. I believe Rielly's impact on this team may be circumstance dependent. Put another competent top 4 NHL defender in Rielly's role and watch the assists pile up. In a non-cap world I'd be perfectly content that he'd stay until retirement but that's not the current NHL paradigm, the players have been turned into mercenaries.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We dont need to carry them, but we do be able to have them at any given time. The continous struggle of not being able to give guys maintenance days, not being able to bench someone, having to put guys on ten day ltir for minor injuries, having to waive someone to cover any of the above, not being able to freely call up any single marlie when warranted - is needless and not at all best practice

I agree, but I think it's done intentionally. It's not at all difficult to carry a full roster, management just doesn't want to for whatever reason(s).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I agree, but I think it's done intentionally. It's not at all difficult to carry a full roster, management just doesn't want to for whatever reason(s).
If our primary call ups are waiver exempt, (or we're deep enough in tweeners that we dont care about some waiver wire attrition) i think theres an argument to be made for leveraging the proximity to the marlies and running barebones when possible IF we've budgetted for complete roster flexibility and call ups when we need them. If we left ourselves with the 1.7 needed to carry semyonov and lilly, but only needed the spares half of the time, thats 850k left open, which is something like a 2.5m player at the deadline, plus the coaching flexibilty to do whatever we want through the season

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Who in their right mind would trade for Eichel if he's got a chronic problem with his neck/spine?

I believe the Eichel injury is one that a number of NFL QB's have deal with and recovered to play with no apparent issues. The Sabres seem to want to first avoid the surgery and if that doesn't work, to go with fusion vs disc replacement. The recovery time for the fusion would be a lot longer. To trade for Eichel uncorrected there would potentially be a lost season attached to that and a miniscule chasnce, as with any surgery, that you would be buying a broken athlete. That has to kill his value.

Insight on Eichel's side of neck surgery debate with Sabres

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The leafs big 4 is costing them. The over payments of those 4 is the difference between having an elite 3rd line and not having one. Let’s say you clear 7 million by having Matthews, Marner, Tavares 2 million a year cheaper and Nylander 1 million a year cheaper. You don’t re-sign Simmonds (900 k) and trade Kerfoot (3.5) and you have 11.5 million total cap space. You could literally have afford a McCaan-Danault-Goodrow 3rd line which would destroy Tampa and the rest of the league and you would still have the big 4, Ritchie and Bunting in tact giving us the best top 6 and the best 3rd and the best 4th line Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev. The small margin of overpaying the big 4 is the difference between being a contender running the league right now and being average. I’ve worked out a hundred different ways, this team just cannot be competitive with the big 4 getting paid those amounts. They need big changes not small.

Reactions: geo25 and ToneDog

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The leafs big 4 is costing them. The over payments of those 4 is the difference between having an elite 3rd line and not having one. Let’s say you clear 7 million by having Matthews, Marner, Tavares 2 million a year cheaper and Nylander 1 million a year cheaper. You don’t re-sign Simmonds (900 k) and trade Kerfoot (3.5) and you have 11.5 million total cap space. You could literally have afford a McCaan-Danault-Goodrow 3rd line which would destroy Tampa and the rest of the league and you would still have the big 4, Ritchie and Bunting in tact giving us the best top 6 and the best 3rd and the best 4th line Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev. The small margin of overpaying the big 4 is the difference between being a contender running the league right now and being average. I’ve worked out a hundred different ways, this team just cannot be competitive with the big 4 getting paid those amounts. They need big changes not small.

The big four likely wouldn't sign for 2 mil less per person (1 with Willy). Also McCaan would still be taken in the expansion draft. And Danault and Goodrow have ugly contracts, I wouldn't want those on our books long term. Consider that even the Habs didn't want to give Danault that deal despite having cap room thanks to Weber's LTIR.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The big four likely wouldn't sign for 2 mil less per person (1 with Willy). Also McCaan would still be taken in the expansion draft. And Danault and Goodrow have ugly contracts, I wouldn't want those on our books long term.
Tavares maybe no because it was UFA (although he's worth 9) but Matthews on a shorter deal at 10 million per (11.5 is fair if it were 8 years) and Marner for 9.0 is a fair valuation for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad