GDT: Trade and Free Agency Thread -- To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I can't help but think of how sick this team would look with McCann in the 3C slot...

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Kase
Ritchie-McCann-J.Anderson
Mikheyev-Kampf-Spezza

Reactions: Havoc and Morgs

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
All these signings makes me feel what I do at work

Send out 100s of emails to look like im doing something

Ritchie and Bunting are decent signings

The rest are just fillers for Marlies including Kase. Who at this stage of his life should choose life

5 concussions and last one wasn't event a hit. God forbid Wilson, Anderson or Reaves take a run at you

Ritchie is type of player we needed. When he chooses to play. He really isn't physical as people think

We all know McCan is going to score 30 goals this year. Because that would be the most leafs things to happen

He will likely score a lot because he is in a shit team and will have tons of ice time, may not of had that here

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Idk the more I try and build the roster the more I feel like we're missing either a Top6LW or 3C. I think as of right now, something like this is the best build based on playstyles:

Ritchie-Matthews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kase
Engvall/Brooks-Kampf-Spezza
Simmonds

Again, I'd trade Rielly and use his cap space for Tatar and run both Sandin/Liljegren. You'll know by the deadline if you need an upgrade over them. Trade one of Mik/Engvall/Brooks for a pick.

Tatar-Matthews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Ritchie-Kerfoot-Kase/Mikheyev
Engvall/Brooks-Kampf-Spezza

Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Brodie
Dermott-Liljegren

Campbell
Mrazek
IMO, the D looks rather thin and leaves a ton of question marks with no room for error.

If we were going to use Rielly's cap space, I'd look to do a trade like Marchesseault and Hague for Rielly+ small cap add (say Anderson/Brooks).

That gets Vegas under the cap ceiling. Gets the Leafs a Bonafide top-6 who can play either wing, and a hulking young D who is on the rise.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
IMO, the D looks rather thin and leaves a ton of question marks with no room for error.

If we were going to use Rielly's cap space, I'd look to do a trade like Marchesseault and Hague for Rielly+ small cap add (say Anderson/Brooks).

That gets Vegas under the cap ceiling. Gets the Leafs a Bonafide top-6 who can play either wing, and a hulking young D who is on the rise.

Based on what defenseman have been getting, I think that's a relatively low offer for Rielly. I'd really be shooting for something closer to what Seth Jones got as apparently Rielly has a similar reputation. In other words grab a guy that costs nothing against the cap like Boqvist, add picks and then use Rielly's 5M to sign a comparable player to Marchessault in Tatar. Beats actually acquiring the great player in Marchessault and not recieving that much else in the trade imo. I wouldn't even be picky whether the acquired player is a F or D. Just want someone that can help soon, and have a potential impact similar to Rielly for the next ~7 years.

I'm not too worried about our defense next season as I do believe Muzzin-Holl can take on the hard minutes and be successful with Brodie/Dermott either right behind them or babysitting Sandin/Liljegren. Like I said too, I do think that if it's clear the defense is lacking (shouldn't keep us from the playoffs either way) we can find an upgrade at the deadline. I really doubt it would be necessary though barring injuries.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Based on what defenseman have been getting, I think that's a relatively low offer for Rielly. I'd really be shooting for something closer to what Seth Jones got as apparently Rielly has a similar reputation. In other words grab a guy that costs nothing against the cap like Boqvist, add picks and then use Rielly's 5M to sign a comparable player to Marchessault in Tatar. Beats actually acquiring the great player in Marchessault and not recieving that much else in the trade imo. I wouldn't even be picky whether the acquired player is a F or D. Just want someone that can help soon, and have a potential impact similar to Rielly for the next ~7 years.

I'm not too worried about our defense next season as I do believe Muzzin-Holl can take on the hard minutes and be successful with Brodie/Dermott either right behind them or babysitting Sandin/Liljegren. Like I said too, I do think that if it's clear the defense is lacking (shouldn't keep us from the playoffs either way) we can find an upgrade at the deadline. I really doubt it would be necessary though barring injuries.
Agreed about Jones - and the Jones deal might be a bit rich. But we also have to remember Dubas' trading history. I can't see Rielly heading out without a top-4 caliber Dman (or an NHL ready top-4 D prospect) coming back - that just isn't something Dubas will do.

My trade addresses the fact that Rielly's value is that of a pure rental, as Vegas will have to let him walk.

Also, barring a situation like Jones were he was allowed to talk to other teams, Rielly is a pure rental at this point. Some of Jones' extra value came with the fact he agreed to re-sign with the Hawks prior to the trade.

I really don't see how the Leafs can fit Rielly in next season without gutting the forward depth even more next season.

Reactions: Morgs

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
To Arz
Rielly
Kerfoot
Mik
Engvall

To Toronto
Chychrun
Cap dump

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Agreed about Jones - and the Jones deal might be a bit rich. But we also have to remember Dubas' trading history. I can't see Rielly heading out without a top-4 caliber Dman (or an NHL ready top-4 D prospect) coming back - that just isn't something Dubas will do.

My trade addresses the fact that Rielly's value is that of a pure rental, as Vegas will have to let him walk.

Also, barring a situation like Jones were he was allowed to talk to other teams, Rielly is a pure rental at this point. Some of Jones' extra value came with the fact he agreed to re-sign with the Hawks prior to the trade.

I really don't see how the Leafs can fit Rielly in next season without gutting the forward depth even more next season.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion Rielly needs to go unless he's taking a marginal AAV increase. He's great and a complimentary top-pairing guy, he's just not a #1. Doesn't deserve #1 money, and it's getting crazy in these streets for guys in Rielly's range. Let some other bonehead GM give him that.

I do like the idea of Vegas though and grabbing Hague, I'd just turn my eye towards Krebs as the main piece as I don't believe we HAVE to get a defenseman back and he's imo a much better prospect. I think with Sandin/Liljegren/Mennell we should be able to ice at least an average top-6 with the four other guys we have, I'm not worried.

I'd be trying my hardest to somehow get Drysdale for him though.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
To NAshville

Rielly
Kerfoot
Pick

To Leafs
Forsburg
Borowiecki

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
What is Arizona's motivation to take nearly $7 million in extra cap with the main piece back being a UFA who will walk?
Fair.

Rielly and our first?
They trade Morgan for a haul at the deadline.

44 has to go

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Fair.

Rielly and our first?
They trade Morgan for a haul at the deadline.

44 has to go
Well don't know about their management but their fans wouldn't deal Chychuran fir Owen Powers or Marner

They value him insanely high. He is a really good player signed for dirt cheap

Doubt they move him at all and much less for an older and less cost controlled asset

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, I'm of the opinion Rielly needs to go unless he's taking a marginal AAV increase. He's great and a complimentary top-pairing guy, he's just not a #1. Doesn't deserve #1 money, and it's getting crazy in these streets for guys in Rielly's range. Let some other bonehead GM give him that.

I do like the idea of Vegas though and grabbing Hague, I'd just turn my eye towards Krebs as the main piece as I don't believe we HAVE to get a defenseman back and he's imo a much better prospect. I think with Sandin/Liljegren/Mennell we should be able to ice at least an average top-6 with the four other guys we have, I'm not worried.

I'd be trying my hardest to somehow get Drysdale for him though.
Hahaha.....yup!! Leafs can't be overpaying.....it will be a contract that will be hated in no time. Unless Rielly is putting up 70+ points on a regular basis, as his value is basically tied to his production, not his all-round play.

I really was trying to look out for both teams needs. Krebs would be a heck of a piece - but I thought the same thing of Glass before he was moved for actual glass (Patrick). I like Hague as he adds a different element to the D-core, and my trade was designed to get Vegas under the cap while addressing both team's needs.

But I am open to all ideas. I am not opposed to trading Rielly for blue chippers/picks and signing a Tatar type. Raiding the Colorado or LA cookie jar. The problem I see is that a lot of teams have most of their roster structure in place for the up coming season, as far as player budgets go, and LA may not be in the right position to make a trade for Rielly.

Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out....Dubas has alluded to the fact he wants certainty about Rielly heading into this season.

Reactions: Morgs

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know it's news from a few days ago but I really would have liked Hakanpaa at 1.5 x 3 so that we could liquidate Dermott into a few picks for the upcoming draft (maybe a 2nd + 4th/5th?).

Reactions: 123offtheglass

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I know it's news from a few days ago but I really would have liked Hakanpaa at 1.5 x 3 so that we could liquidate Dermott into a few picks for the upcoming draft (maybe a 2nd + 4th/5th?).

Vatanen and Murray are still out there if we wanted to do something like that.

However teams could just sign those guys themselves rather than trading assets for Dermott.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I dont understand why people are writing him off. He has tremendous puck carrying ability and yes sometimes he over does it

He has yet to play top 6 and still manage to put decent numbers and without any PP time

He hasn't played more than 100 games. Every league he has played so far he has had a slow start then he picks up

I would have preferred him instead of Simmonds on PP. He has some scoring touch and can retrieve the puck and enter the zone
He’s got to step up, and soon. If he doesn’t, he’ll be another Goat, all the tools, none of the desire to make a impact.

Reactions: fahad203

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Just looking through the league... The Winnipeg Jets seem in a weird spot right now? I feel like I'm missing something. They have 7M in cap space with RFAs Pionk, Copp and Stanley to re-sign. Comrie is probably their backup goaltender. Little is on LTIR though so that can open up things for them.

Either way, I could see them being interested in adding someone like Engvall.

Dubas should be trying to unload our excess inventory on Canadian teams that we dummied for most of the regular season. They will have a better appreciation for them and pay more than other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad