Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2022 - Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think that's all dependent on if they move Kerfoot or Holl (which I don't think they do). More cap space would be better but I don't think it's in the cards.

As I mentioned earlier they're probably just going bargain bin shopping and running it back with Holl and Kerfoot. They'll try to put the most money towards another goalie. In doing so part of the rationale is probably to get Robertson into the line up full time next year and also ensure Knies will get a chance at a spot too.

Not that I agree with it, but it is what it is. Also the mid-tier UFA market is going crazy (Nuke and Rakell's deals). So even lower end wingers like Vatrano are poised to get term and good AAV's. Tough to round out depth with that.

I have no issue with the caliber of player (at least with the forwards). Those guys are fine players.

None of them are really good fits for a shutdown line with Engvall and Kampf, nor are good fits for what Tavares needs on the 2nd line. If there was a better version of Anderson, that would be perfect. Otherwise, I'd rather use Anderson on that 2nd line.

For the 4th line, those guys start making some more sense.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Here’s a look at some of the free agents who might fit the Leafs’ budget:

Dylan Strome, F

It might be a pipe dream, since he’s coming off a $3-million contract and 22-goal season with Chicago. But if the Mississauga native wants to play for his hometown team with friend Mitch Marner, he’d be a welcome addition at centre. The Leafs may have to move a player to fit him in — Alex Kerfoot comes to mind — but a short-term, show-me contract could put Strome in position to cash in next season.

Sonny Milano, F

It came as a shock to some that Anaheim didn’t qualify the 26-year-old forward, a former teammate of Auston Matthews in the U.S. development program. A great stickhandler. Had 14 goals for the Ducks on a $1.7-million cap hit.

Brendan Lemieux, F

Another pipe dream, maybe, but he plays a gritty game the Leafs sorely lack. Just eight goals with Los Angeles last season, but 97 penalty minutes. Grew up in Scottsdale, Ariz. with Matthews. Earned just $950,000 last year and probably would take close to the same, though the Kings are interested in re-signing him.

Ilya Lyubushkin, D

If there’s a way to bring back the right-handed shooting Russian Bear at close to the $1.35 million he earned last year, the Leafs should do it. There are warts to his game, but physical defencemen are hard to find.

Matt Benning, D

The 28-year-old son of former Leaf Jim Benning is coming off a $1-million deal with Nashville. He’s a decent penalty killer with a right-handed shot and 366 NHL games to his credit.

Ryan Murray, D

Drafted second overall in 2012, three spots ahead of Leaf Morgan Rielly, but had an injury-filled start with Columbus. He did win the Stanley Cup in Colorado this year. Murray’s coming off a $2-million deal, but could feel the squeeze as a sixth or seventh defenceman. He shoots left, and could be insurance in case Rasmus Sandin bolts with an offer sheet.

Eric Comrie, G

Earned $750,000 and went 10-5-1 last season for the Winnipeg Jets. He’s six-foot-one, will be 27 when next season begins and has been through waiver wires like nobody’s business. He might appreciate that the Leafs’ NHL and AHL teams are in the same city. He also won gold in Toronto as Zach Fucale’s backup at the 2015 world junior championship.

Harri Säteri, G

The Leafs signed the Finnish free agent just before the trade deadline (at a cap hit of $750,000) only to lose him on waivers to Arizona. He got into six games with the Coyotes: 4.22 goals-against average, .866 save percentage. Not great numbers, but the Leafs liked him not that long ago and he’s available again without the worry of waivers. He’s 32 and coming off Olympic gold.

Malcolm Subban, G

The Rexdale product, a career backup who has played 86 games over seven seasons with four teams, could be sold on his hometown. The former Canadian world junior goalie earned $850,000 last year. His .871 career save percentage works against him, but that was built on some fairly bad teams in Buffalo and Chicago. When he plays 20-plus games, like he did in Vegas, he’s better. Brother Jordan once played for the Marlies.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Ummm wha? Can you elaborate please ha
Lol he posted the Brian Windhorst meme with no context.

Essentially, Brian Windhorst made note of Utah making a move and essentially said “why would they do this? Is there something bigger? Keep looking at this” and then Utah went and made a massive move.

Just measing around because of the Gaudreau news.

Reactions: GoodNewfieBoy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad