Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So here's a piece of gossip from a former OHL scout and the Bruins board's resident insider: Minnesota is apparently one of 4 teams that OEL would waive for. And apparently Arizona might get all kinds of flexible about the retention if it means they can save some real money.

That obviously goes nowhere even with 50% retention, but it's nice to feel liked.

I wonder how Parise feels about the desert...

Last edited:

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
So here's a piece of gossip from a former OHL scout and the Bruins board's resident insider: Minnesota is apparently one of 4 teams that OEL would waive for. And apparently Arizona might get all kinds of flexible about the retention if it means they can save some real money.

That obviously goes nowhere even with 50% retention, but it's nice to feel liked.

I wonder how Parise feels about the desert...
Makes you wonder what the hell it is about Minnesota that he likes so much?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Makes you wonder what the hell it is about Minnesota that he likes so much?

Good reviews from former Leksands teammates Victor Rask and draftee Daniel Gunnarsson?

Or he sees a team that likes overpaying older guys and not having high expectations so he can come here and retire and get paid.

Much less likely, he likes the direction of the franchise and wants to play hockey in the springtime? idk

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No idea unless we're just in there because Arizona leaned on him to expand his list and he chose one of the last teams in the league that can or would trade for him.

I don't think he really has a burning desire to stay in Arizona (although with Tocchet gone maybe he's a little more interested), and it is a full NMC, so I don't think it's performative in the way of saying "yeah I'd waive there, but they'd never trade for me so I guess I'm stuck here". It is interesting though.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting. Have to wonder how bad Arizona would like to have a 1st rounder back this year.

Dumba
Greenway
Rask
1st

OEL (2m retain)
Schmaltz

Why not?!

Reactions: ctmagic

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Because OEL is very expensive and not very good, mostly.
I'd say mostly you're right but wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of a rejuvenated career in a different environment.

Brodin-OEL could be awesome. Hell let's get real nasty.

Suter Spurgeon
Brodin Menell
OEL Addison

OEL and Addison getting more PP time. And the swede pairing in some 5v5 to get more time to OEL.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd say mostly you're right but wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of a rejuvenated career in a different environment.

Brodin-OEL could be awesome. Hell let's get real nasty.

Suter Spurgeon
Brodin Menell
OEL Addison

OEL and Addison getting more PP time. And the swede pairing in some 5v5 to get more time to OEL.
I mean it's possible. Hard for me to get my head around that trade when I like Dumba and Greenway more than OEL and Schmaltz, though.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I mean it's possible. Hard for me to get my head around that trade when I like Dumba and Greenway more than OEL and Schmaltz, though.
Yeah feel it. If anything we are more likely to facilitate a 3 way with Arizona. Dumba owns a home in Arizona so would that be kind of a less f u to Dumba?

Just some thoughts to ponder.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Interesting. Have to wonder how bad Arizona would like to have a 1st rounder back this year.

Dumba
Greenway
Rask
1st

OEL (2m retain)
Schmaltz

Why not?!

Actually, I think I'm in on this trade. Schmalz is a huge upgrade at C, even though he is not Eichel caliber.
Kap (7.5), Schmaltz (5.5), Zucc (6)
Boldy (1), Rossi (1), Fiala (7)
Foligno (3.1), Ek (5), Hartman (1.7)
Parise (7.5), Sturm (1), Scraps (1) = 47.5M for the forwards

Suter/Spurge (15)
Brodin (6)
OEL (6.25)
Addison (1)
Menell (2) = 29 for the defense

Lose Soucy in ED
Tlabot, Kahkonen =4.4

You are at 81M.

Obviously, in the course of the season somehow, Rossi and Schmaltz will be sometimes playing opposite lines. You know Parise will end up with some nagging injury for which he can be LTIR'd for like 20 games or something, which saves about 1.8M on the cap. DeWar can be called up for that.

The one thing against it is that it commits big $$ to our Top4 D for a long time, with no room to maneuver. Kahkonen and Sturm are the only 22-23 signings, so that fits, maybe, because there will likely be an extra 1M in cap space available.

Talbot in 23-24, but that's immaterial. And, after that, Zuccarello comes off the books.

However, I can't see Arizona actually doing it, because it essentially comes down to:
OEL <> Dumba at even salary
and then Rask, Greenway and a 1st <> Schmaltz.

That's not a good trade for them.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
...I'm completely missing why we are giving up the two best players in that deal and adding a 1st on top of it.

Because OEL wants to come here, and as Minnesotans, we're not assertive enough to tell him we don't need him, so we're just going to let him come here and inconvenience us and not say anything for 6 years.

Reactions: Rask Decisions

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Actually, I think I'm in on this trade. Schmalz is a huge upgrade at C, even though he is not Eichel caliber.
Kap (7.5), Schmaltz (5.5), Zucc (6)
Boldy (1), Rossi (1), Fiala (7)
Foligno (3.1), Ek (5), Hartman (1.7)
Parise (7.5), Sturm (1), Scraps (1) = 47.5M for the forwards

Suter/Spurge (15)
Brodin (6)
OEL (6.25)
Addison (1)
Menell (2) = 29 for the defense

Lose Soucy in ED
Tlabot, Kahkonen =4.4

You are at 81M.

Obviously, in the course of the season somehow, Rossi and Schmaltz will be sometimes playing opposite lines. You know Parise will end up with some nagging injury for which he can be LTIR'd for like 20 games or something, which saves about 1.8M on the cap. DeWar can be called up for that.

The one thing against it is that it commits big $$ to our Top4 D for a long time, with no room to maneuver. Kahkonen and Sturm are the only 22-23 signings, so that fits, maybe, because there will likely be an extra 1M in cap space available.

Talbot in 23-24, but that's immaterial. And, after that, Zuccarello comes off the books.

However, I can't see Arizona actually doing it, because it essentially comes down to:
OEL <> Dumba at even salary
and then Rask, Greenway and a 1st <> Schmaltz.

That's not a good trade for them.
Being at $81M with a 20 man roster means that you would need to cut about $3M from that lineup. Also, Parise(or anyone) being LTIR'd for 20 games would save you zero cap space.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Because OEL wants to come here, and as Minnesotans, we're not assertive enough to tell him we don't need him, so we're just going to let him come here and inconvenience us and not say anything for 6 years.
I get where you two are coming from I do. I'm just merely playing on an idea of what I would like to see coming back and just making sure I'm not coming in laughable low. We could always adjust.

Edit: maybe drop Greenway perhaps?

Last edited:

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018

Dumba wants to be in Minnesota too. He is also cheaper and better. I get the excitement of playing GM with trades on boards but sometimes keeping your own guys are better

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Dumba wants to be in Minnesota too. He is also cheaper and better. I get the excitement of playing GM with trades on boards but sometimes keeping your own guys are better
Hey I'm all for this too as I like his relationship with Kaprizov since he landed. Only a positive influence and good overall player.

If we maneuver to keep him he might take a real nice deal next go around barring a blowup in the final years but I want to lose at worst Soucy or Greenway by doing so. If we can maneuver the expansion better by dealing Dumba then unfortunately this is a business. Especially if it somehow contributed to sticking a better player in between Kap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad