Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Are we okay letting Dumba walk for free instead of using him as a trade chip, even if it's a minor trade?
Yes. I challenge the assumption that we need to "get value" for him in a trade "rather than losing him for nothing."

We do not lose him for nothing. He takes an expansion bullet for the team, we gain $6m in cap space, and we get to keep both of our goalies.

Those things have significant value this summer.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Russo Speculation Alert: “50/50 chance Fiala gets moved”

I am not going to overreact to this.

Yes. I challenge the assumption that we need to "get value" for him in a trade "rather than losing him for nothing."

We do not lose him for nothing. He takes an expansion bullet for the team, we gain $6m in cap space, and we get to keep both of our goalies.

Those things have significant value this summer.

I would trade either of our goalies for what I suspect we could get for Dumba in a trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just considering the team's strengths, weaknesses and cap situation, I think 50/50 is about where it should be. I absolutely want him back next year, but it's hard to figure out how this team gets better down the middle without sending out both quality and cap. Like Dumba, Fiala checks both of those boxes and has no trade protection.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Just considering the team's strengths, weaknesses and cap situation, I think 50/50 is about where it should be. I absolutely want him back next year, but it's hard to figure out how this team gets better down the middle without sending out both quality and cap. Like Dumba, Fiala checks both of those boxes and has no trade protection.

hes also probably due more money and term than dumba is getting

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Either he's not tipping his hand, or we're going to be on the hunt for a new GM soon. I don't believe anyone that looks at the Wild's collection of centers and go, yep I'm happy with how they performed.
He doesn't have to say, nor should he say, that his centers are crap. All he has to do is say something vague, like, "We are always looking to upgrade our team, whatever the position."

Can confirm, and was kind of surprised to hear that. If he is traded, it better be for a big return. He helps make us a fast, explosive, dangerous team. If he actually got some linemates, who knows how good he could be.

One other thing that Russo, Guerin, and now Friedman are saying is that almost all trades will be dollar in, dollar out, which invalidates 80% of the trades proposed on HFB.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
im actually wondering if it might be easier to stomach losing fiala than dumba in expansion due solely to the dollars and term he may be getting, and boldy stepping in

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
im actually wondering if it might be easier to stomach losing fiala than dumba in expansion due solely to the dollars and term he may be getting, and boldy stepping in

Funny how it takes 30 minutes for "50/50 chance to trade Fiala" to evolve into "lose Fiala for nothing to gain cap space"

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
but would the team be better for it?
No, a team who's strength is defined by its defensive core would not rather lose one of 3 viable offensive weapons over a guy who can be your 2nd-5th best defensemen depending on the night. A team that has struggled to ice any sort of potential high end skill in their forward group for a decade would not be better off. If Fiala goes, its for return down the middle.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The list of centers it would make sense to trade Fiala for isn't very long. Especially if you take into consideration those that would actually be available.

Reactions: StateofCelly

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The list of centers it would make sense to trade Fiala for isn't very long. Especially if you take into consideration those that would actually be available.
Neither is the list of things Guerin’s done to instill confidence that he’s capable of being a GM. Could be a recipe for disaster.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Which teams would even want Fiala, that have some sort of top 6 center to give up?
Vilardi
Zacha/?
Kuznetsov
Stamkos
Schmaltz/Dvorak
Couture
Kadri
RNH
Monahan
Nylander

I understand the need for a center but most of these are terrible. Who else might realistically be moved for a winger like Fiala?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Which teams would even want Fiala, that have some sort of top 6 center to give up?
Vilardi
Zacha/?
Kuznetsov
Stamkos
Schmaltz/Dvorak
Couture
Kadri
RNH
Monahan
Nylander

I understand the need for a center but most of these are terrible. Who else might realistically be moved for a winger like Fiala?
The only thing that's ever come to mind for me, and it isn't realistic, is Horvat. Benning does seem poised to something, or a series of somethings, that don't make a ton of sense. Horvat's on a good contract, I don't think they have an easy way to replace him besides moving Miller back to center, and they'll run into the "money in, money out" problem as much as any other team... but still, Benning isn't all that predictable.

But I agree, unless Fiala was included in a deal for Eichel there aren't many options that jump out.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only thing that's ever come to mind for me, and it isn't realistic, is Horvat. Benning does seem poised to something, or a series of somethings, that don't make a ton of sense. Horvat's on a good contract, I don't think they have an easy way to replace him besides moving Miller back to center, and they'll run into the "money in, money out" problem as much as any other team... but still, Benning isn't all that predictable.

But I agree, unless Fiala was included in a deal for Eichel there aren't many options that jump out.

Yeah, Horvat could work, I just don't think it's that realistic, even with Benning in control. He's a very important player for them, and their captain.

I always come back to Vilardi as someone I like that's maybe realistic. About to turn 22, 37ish point pace in his first "full" season. Could be poised to break out some more next year. LA has the center depth to spare. They're looking to upgrade their wingers/team in general. Not sure if they're looking to move Vilardi, but that could be one of those situations where you buy "low" before he really breaks out.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, Horvat could work, I just don't think it's that realistic, even with Benning in control. He's a very important player for them, and their captain.

I always come back to Vilardi as someone I like that's maybe realistic. About to turn 22, 37ish point pace in his first "full" season. Could be poised to break out some more next year. LA has the center depth to spare.
Somewhat along those lines, I do kind of wonder about Florida. Like the Kings they seem to be looking to be aggressive this summer and Zito's got Fenton as an AGM. It'd take a lot to pry Lundell away from them, but Fiala is a lot.

Kind of breaks my own assumption about Guerin not willingly taking a step back next year, but you never know.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Somewhat along those lines, I do kind of wonder about Florida. Like the Kings they seem to be looking to be aggressive this summer and Zito's got Fenton as an AGM. It'd take a lot to pry Lundell away from them, but Fiala is a lot.

Kind of breaks my own assumption about Guerin not willingly taking a step back next year, but you never know.

Yeah I thought about bringing up Lundell or a similar prospect, but I figure if Fiala is traded it has to be for a guy who will be more of a sure thing next season, and he's definitely not that. I would personally be okay with some sort of move like that, but a lot of people wouldn't. So Vilardi, to me, was a nice compromise where we get younger, and probably worse next season, but we get a young top 6 center beyond that. Plus I've always really liked Vilardi.

I have no idea what Guerin is going to do, and it doesn't really seem (publicly) like he does either, so I'm simply expecting the worst at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad