Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If Suter waves, then you protect Spurge, Brodin, Soucy for D, you trade Dumba, and you protect 7 Fs. If, by some miracle, the Dumba trade includes an extra special forward, then your 7 Fs are Zucc, Parise (not waived), Fiala, Ek, Greenway, Foligno, and the new guy.

Who Seattle takes in this scenario is anyone's guess, because the goalie unprotected is probably the best player. Hartman and Sturm are the best Fs available.

But I don't expect Suter to waive.

If Parise waives, then you trade Dumba if you can get something for him (Dumba + Fiala + drafts <> a healthy Eichel ???), and you still protect 7-3-1, except now Hartman gets protected as well (in Parise's spot).

And, likely Soucy or the unprotected goalie gets chosen.

Question: What if you don't protect a goalie? Can you protect someone else instead?
There is simply no way they protect Soucy over Dumba if Suter waives. Suter won't waive because he'd likely be Seattle's choice if he did, therefore creating cap space and negating the reason to trade Dumba.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't think that's important to him anymore, and not if he has to put the family on his back and leave the state. But I do think he's strong mentally, I believe he's going to put up a fight against management if necessary.

But I really hope they can all come to senses, this situation is ridiculous. The way Guerin handles this matter disappoints me, not exactly class. They should agree on some kind of a deal, let him play 7-8 minutes a game, and he'll cut a couple of years on his contract. A good solution.

I would lose all respect for a gm/coach that guarantees ANY player ice time that didn't earn it. What kind of a message does that send to the other guys in the room?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think that's important to him anymore, and not if he has to put the family on his back and leave the state. But I do think he's strong mentally, I believe he's going to put up a fight against management if necessary.

But I really hope they can all come to senses, this situation is ridiculous. The way Guerin handles this matter disappoints me, not exactly class. They should agree on some kind of a deal, let him play 7-8 minutes a game, and he'll cut a couple of years on his contract. A good solution.
Taking line-up control from his coach and giving Parise 7-8 minutes a game because his cap hit is too big is just about the worst possible precedent the GM can set. I have nothing against playing him if the situation calls for it, but he's not going to get time just because he's... I honestly don't know what. Old and expensive?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Disagree. Parise is 36, he doesn't want to put his family on the move now. New home, new school for his kids, not worth it. I believe he stays with the Wild and will retire in a couple of years. Wild can of course buy him out sooner, but that wouldn't be so smart cap wise.
Parise has enough money to pay for a place on a new team while never moving his family this is just a reach at this point.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
I'm not sure the Wild wouldn't prefer simply buying Parise out. Eliminates the recapture penalty possibility (likelihood?)

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Taking line-up control from his coach and giving Parise 7-8 minutes a game because his cap hit is too big is just about the worst possible precedent the GM can set. I have nothing against playing him if the situation calls for it, but he's not going to get time just because he's... I honestly don't know what. Old and expensive?

Parise is good enough for 4th line duty or more, he actually played well before he got scratched. I don't think his play is the big problem, I think something happened off the ice.

But the fact of the matter is that the Wild still owe him 10 million dollars. The Wild were stupid enough to give him this insane contract back in 2012, but that's not his fault. The Wild can't just walk away from it, then Bettman would twist Guerin's ear and say no no that's not how we do things around here. We have to honour a player's contract.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Parise is good enough for 4th line duty or more, he actually played well before he got scratched. I don't think his play is the big problem, I think something happened off the ice.

But the fact of the matter is that the Wild still owe him 10 million dollars. The Wild were stupid enough to give him this insane contract back in 2012, but that's not his fault. The Wild can't just walk away from it, then Bettman would twist Guerin's ear and say no no that's not how we do things around here. We have to honour a player's contract.

hes slow, and yes they can. its called a buyout.

Reactions: MuckOG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Evason disagrees.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Parise is good enough for 4th line minutes in the abstract. Whether or not he's better in that role than the other 3-4 guys he's competing with for minutes is up to Evason.

The contract is a two-way street and there is nothing in it about playing time or role. The team didn't impose the money or the term on him unilaterally; he agreed to a contract that would take him well out beyond the point where age was bound to catch up with him. He's not a victim.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I’m of the opinion that it makes more sense to buy out Parise than trade because of recapture as well. You are likely retaining 50% on Parise and giving up good assets to move him out. And then can be hit with recapture as well. Buying him out sets a number that will be sunk and you are done with it.

We just watched them utterly shelter Soucy and Dumba nearly double him up in minutes while also spending 4mins in the box. So, no, not really.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Probably lose Greenway the next year, but at least it'd be for assets. Rossi slides in and Hartman moves over.
Yeah that’s what I’d think, though after next year Parise is making 2 million, 1 million and 1 million in real money, so that’s a moveable deal. But yeah, Rossi sliding in will definitely help mitigate any losses.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anybody have any thoughts about Kupari or Thomas from LA? RH centers, 6'2" and 6'0" respectively. They are stocked to the gills with young centers (Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Kupari, Thomas, Madden). I get that they can just 'see what happens' and turn however many of them into wingers if need be, but if we make it worth their while? They might not mind a chance to diversify the prospect pool a bit. And the players are young enough that it can still be considered a "building" type move for us, but still a bit of a fast-forward from what 2021 later 1st rounders would be (assuming they'd be involved in the deal).

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Anybody have any thoughts about Kupari or Thomas from LA? RH centers, 6'2" and 6'0" respectively. They are stocked to the gills with young centers (Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Kupari, Thomas, Madden). I get that they can just 'see what happens' and turn however many of them into wingers if need be, but if we make it worth their while? They might not mind a chance to diversify the prospect pool a bit. And the players are young enough that it can still be considered a "building" type move for us, but still a bit of a fast-forward from what 2021 later 1st rounders would be (assuming they'd be involved in the deal).

from what ive read and talking to LA fans, kupari looks like hell be a 2way center most likely a 3c. idk about my interest in that, but i most definately like turcotte and would try to pry him away big time.

dont know much about thomas, other than the stud from St louis :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad