Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
It's hard to know what Eichel will even still be after this nightmare that Buffalo has put him through. I'm not sure I'd want to spend $10m a year to find out.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He shouldve been trading the older vets first and foremost. Also, neiderreiter for rask is probably the worst trade in wild history.

Neiderreiter was eating up a lot of cap and was inconsistent. Rask seemed like a middle-6 center, and a position of need for Minnesota.

Honestly, the Johansson + Leddy for Barker trade was worse in terms of production.

As for veterans, WHO?

Fenton tried to trade Koivu and Parise and couldn't.

Staal was still putting up points.

This was the roster in 2018-2019:

Parise, Staal, Granlund, Suter, Spurgeon, Zucker, Eriksson-Ek, Koivu, Coyle, Greenway, Nieddereiter, Dumba, Foligno, Brodin, Kunin, Fehr, Brown, Seeler, Pateryn, Dubnyk

Can't trade: Parise, Koivu, Staal or Suter - so which veterans should he have traded?

Foligno is one our best player right now, Spurgeon, Brodin should have been traded? but again WHICH OLDER VETERANS? Parise, Suter and Koivu would have (and did nix a trade). Staal is probably the only one I can see.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Neiderreiter was eating up a lot of cap and was inconsistent. Rask seemed like a middle-6 center, and a position of need for Minnesota.

Honestly, the Johansson + Leddy for Barker trade was worse in terms of production.

As for veterans, WHO?

Fenton tried to trade Koivu and Parise and couldn't.

Staal was still putting up points.

This was the roster in 2018-2019:

Parise, Staal, Granlund, Suter, Spurgeon, Zucker, Eriksson-Ek, Koivu, Coyle, Greenway, Nieddereiter, Dumba, Foligno, Brodin, Kunin, Fehr, Brown, Seeler, Pateryn, Dubnyk

Can't trade: Parise, Koivu, Staal or Suter - so which veterans should he have traded?

Foligno is one our best player right now, Spurgeon, Brodin should have been traded? but again WHICH OLDER VETERANS? Parise, Suter and Koivu would have (and did nix a trade). Staal is probably the only one I can see.

i wouldve traded nearly everyone on that roster outside of brodin, dumba and neiderreiter. and i wouldve made life a living hell for the players with nmc that were nixing it until they did allow me to trade them personally. would players hate me? yes. would i care? no. teams been mediocre for 20 years

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
i wouldve traded nearly everyone on that roster outside of brodin, dumba and neiderreiter. and i wouldve made life a living hell for the players with nmc that were nixing it until they did allow me to trade them personally. would players hate me? yes. would i care? no. teams been mediocre for 20 years

Niederreiter was an inconsistent middle 6 winger that was overpaid by at least a million, million and a half. Dumba can't play defense. You want to build around those three?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nino has been a .5 PPG player over the past couple of years in CAR. He's better than Rask, but let's not pretend that he wasn't a disappointment here after he got paid.

Carolina is also better offensively than Minnesota...this goes back to Minnesota and their offense and how they built their team.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
"Moving" Kulikov still doesn't get your roster anywhere near realistic.

There are a handful of posters in this thread that have taken the time to actually run the numbers and put in the effort to understand the cap situation for not only now but for multiple years into the future. When you post the nonsense that you do without more than a minutes worth of thought put into it, that's really disrespectful to those guys.
oddly enough i used cap friendly for the next 2 seasons and a calculator to do the cap math which is how i orginally got the .961 over without diving extremely deep into it. as has been mentioned, its possible to make it work just extremely unlikely that a gm and owner would allow it to be done because youre going to be fielding a very very young rookie roster. the original idea was just showing how all 3 didnt need to be traded right away to work him in. obviously moving forward yes all 3 would have to go at some point due to age cap contracts and roster structure.

A team with Eichel, Kaprizov, the buyouts, and 8 or 9 ELCs is overwhelmingly likely not a contender over the next 3-4 years. And then we get the pleasure of getting to make UFA decisions on both of them at 28/29 years old.
this is indeed true, and would lend us the higher draft picks for future that we will need and then with the signings when they do come, that dead cap is overwith and we can actually use the entire cap on a full roster rather than navigating the dead cap. feels ugly right now but it could easily be weeded out and worked out in the next 3-4 years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
this is indeed true, and would lend us the higher draft picks for future that we will need and then with the signings when they do come, that dead cap is overwith and we can actually use the entire cap on a full roster rather than navigating the dead cap. feels ugly right now but it could easily be weeded out and worked out in the next 3-4 years.

The higher draft picks that would be going to Buffalo in the Eichel deal?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Greenway for Strome would be the best we could hope for.

Helps round out the roster too. He would be just fine with Gaudreau and Fiala.

Kaprizov-Ek-Zuccarello
Fiala-Strome-Gaudreau
Foligno-Hartman-Duhaime
Rask-Sturm-Bjugstad
Pitlick

Strome may not be a great skater, but his offensive instincts and passing ability would be welcome on that second line.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad