Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ok Guys Clearly I've been MIA, for the most part, this season....but wtf is a Taxi Squad?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Ok Guys Clearly I've been MIA, for the most part, this season....but wtf is a Taxi Squad?

A group of up to six AHL callups who can travel with the team in the event of Covid-related callups. They only count towards the cap when called up and make AHL money otherwise.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Seeing cheap NHL caliber D on the waiver wire three days in a row is surprising (Djoos, Juulsen, and now Kylington). This is probably the highest quality waiver pool I can remember in a while.

I would have claimed any of those three names, but all were claimed by teams higher on the list. Kylington can play both sides and is an incredible skater. Most CGY fans are pretty upset with the way his development is being handled and think he's better than a couple of their regulars. It's essentially a free U23 defender with close to 100GP who, IMO, wouldn't be on waivers if it weren't for this taxi squad situation.

Reactions: LeafChief

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Thornton is on thr top line and Perry became waiver fodder

Doubt Leafs management or fans should feel any regrets there. May have dodged a mistake

The Leafs already have a 4th line right winger that isn't a great skater. Difference is, Simmonds will score 10+ from parking out front on the power play.

Reactions: Menzinger

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Seeing cheap NHL caliber D on the waiver wire three days in a row is surprising (Djoos, Juulsen, and now Kylington). This is probably the highest quality waiver pool I can remember in a while.

I would have claimed any of those three names, but all were claimed by teams higher on the list. Kylington can play both sides and is an incredible skater. Most CGY fans are pretty upset with the way his development is being handled and think he's better than a couple of their regulars. It's essentially a free U23 defender with close to 100GP who, IMO, wouldn't be on waivers if it weren't for this taxi squad situation.
Ya, the waiver pool is both very large & good quality this year. The list of players on waivers is long.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Kylington hasn't been claimed yet.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Kylington may be worth a look. Hard to believe the Flames waived him.

He's been heavily sheltered and has still struggled pretty bad in the NHL. At this point he is not an NHL-caliber defenseman, but he does have some upside if a team is willing to sit him down and let him develop. He should not be in anyone's top 6 right now though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's been heavily sheltered and has still struggled pretty bad in the NHL. At this point he is not an NHL-caliber defenseman, but he does have some upside if a team is willing to sit him down and let him develop. He should not be in anyone's top 6 right now though.
Well, if you're a rebuilding team and have the option of sending down your #6/#7 without losing them, he'd be worth a shot.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Well, if you're a rebuilding team and have the option of sending down your #6/#7 without losing them, he'd be worth a shot.

The problem is that I am not sure many teams have that situation. You wouldn't want him as the first guy coming into your lineup if you have an injury. He should effectively be treated like Justin Holl two years ago.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The problem is that I am not sure many teams have that situation. You wouldn't want him as the first guy coming into your lineup if you have an injury. He should effectively be treated like Justin Holl two years ago.
I'm wondering if he could be claimed, sent down and come up later on, assuming his play improves. I'm guessing he'd need to pass through waivers again?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm wondering if he could be claimed, sent down and come up later on, assuming his play improves. I'm guessing he'd need to pass through waivers again?

Yes, and Calgary could immediately claim him and put him on their taxi squad/AHL squad, which they likely would do.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just browsing through the North Division rosters on capfriendly.

Some early deadline candidates; (depending on who is the playoff picture at that point...)
- Cedric Pacquette from the Sens. Pending UFA. Can play either C or W. Shouldn't cost much to acquire.
- Derek Ryan from the Flames. Another Pending UFA. Doesn't bring much offense, but is an awesome defensive center. Good on the draws and the PK. By the deadline his cap hit will be smaller, and it wouldn't be an issue for us to fit. (He's currently on waivers, so let's see if he stays in CGY)
- Tomas Tatar from the Habs. This would probably be the biggest acquisition possible. If the Habs are on the outside looking in, acquiring someone like Tatar to play beside Tavares would be quite the boost.
- Corey Perry, from the Habs. This one would be dependent on injuries. If we have a couple people go down. This could be a low cost addition to add depth, if needed.
- Adam Lowry, from the Jets. A solid center option. Would allow Kerfoot to move to the wing, perhaps with Tavares (while I prefer him at center, Keefe seems to like Kerfoot playing with Tavares).

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Some early deadline candidates; (depending on who is the playoff picture at that point...)
- Cedric Pacquette from the Sens. Pending UFA. Can play either C or W. Shouldn't cost much to acquire.
- Derek Ryan from the Flames. Another Pending UFA. Doesn't bring much offense, but is an awesome defensive center. Good on the draws and the PK. By the deadline his cap hit will be smaller, and it wouldn't be an issue for us to fit. (He's currently on waivers, so let's see if he stays in CGY)
- Tomas Tatar from the Habs. This would probably be the biggest acquisition possible. If the Habs are on the outside looking in, acquiring someone like Tatar to play beside Tavares would be quite the boost.
- Corey Perry, from the Habs. This one would be dependent on injuries. If we have a couple people go down. This could be a low cost addition to add depth, if needed.
- Adam Lowry, from the Jets. A solid center option. Would allow Kerfoot to move to the wing, perhaps with Tavares (while I prefer him at center, Keefe seems to like Kerfoot playing with Tavares).

Only two from this list that I would love for Dubas to acquire would be Pacquette or Lowry. They fit what we are trying to accomplish in our forward group. More size, speed and grit.

If our D is as advertised and Lethonen, Bogo and Holl hold their own with Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin. Dermott and a player like Sandin can and will be dangled for upgrades. In packages along with players like Engvall, Petan and others excluding Robertson we should be able to acquire those pieces to fit into our team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Only two from this list that I would love for Dubas to acquire would be Pacquette or Lowry. They fit what we are trying to accomplish in our forward group. More size, speed and grit.

If our D is as advertised and Lethonen, Bogo and Holl hold their own with Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin. Dermott and a player like Sandin can and will be dangled for upgrades. In packages along with players like Engvall, Petan and others excluding Robertson we should be able to acquire those pieces to fit into our team.

I'd take Paquette... very good PK player, physical, size, grit... I think Ottawa overpaid him for that, but it doesn't matter to them this year, and short-term contract. He's pretty much exactly what we could use at 4C.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Sandin is not being moved for a rental. Likely that Dermott isn't moved for a rental either.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sandin is not being moved for a rental. Likely that Dermott isn't moved for a rental either.

Agreed... the cost on a guy like Paquette at the deadline, should be about a third, or similar prospect + a body. Engvall and a third for example.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Liljegren should have been moved when he had value.

He's essentially a reclamation project at this point.

The answer to this is a simple no. No matter when we could have traded him, his value to us, was always going to be more than whatever the return. Whatever the probability it is, that he works out, is still better than a 2nd/3rd round pick. He's been very solid in the AHL if you've watched him, but he hasn't been given time to transition to the NHL yet. I wouldn't count him out, but the way he plays, might not be ideal for what we need out of a D man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad