Trade and FA Rumours 2022/23 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As indicated the plan looks to be to move Coke back to the middle

Now, it sounds like Cole Perfetti will get a shot to thrive in the centre position after being drafted as one out of the Ontario Hockey League in 2020.

“When we look at the evolution of franchises, look at the development of franchises, everyone can say play the young players but they have to have the opportunities in front of them,” Cheveldayoff said. “Those are things where sometimes you have to move players, sometimes you have to do things in order to offer those opportunities. Now, it will be up to a play like Cole to take them.”

• Love
Reactions: FonRiesen

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wow, the list of players who didn`t receive qualifying offers and are now free agents include a number of interesting young C`s.( McLeod, Geekie, Sprong, Jost). Is there a hidden diamond in the rough hidden in there somewhere that might fit in with Chevy`s blueprint for restructuring?
I wouldn't mind Kostin for the bottom 6.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Here are the available goalies (age) and their SV% on their last ~3000 regular season shots against:

UFAs
Korpisalo (29) .902
Hill (27) .910
Varlamov (35) .917 *
Raanta (34) .913
Jarry (28) .915 *
Stalock (35) .907
Andersen (33) .911
Halak (38) .913
Rittich (30) .902
Brossoit (30) .908
Lyon (30) .904

On the market
Hart (24) .906 *
Swayman (24) .920
Thompson (26) .915
Hellebuyck (30) .915 *

The * indicates a starter over the course of their last 3000 shots against. E.g. Hellebuyck's faced 4119 shots in the last two regular seasons alone; Lyon has faced 1058 over his entire NHL career (6 seasons). Swayman and Thompson have a SA sample < 3000.

So really 4 starters available, and Varlamov is getting up there in age and hasn't really been a starter for the last 2 seasons.

Jarry will be a smart signing for someone...
I’d only be interested in Jarry, Brossoit or Korpisalo on that list of UFA’s

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As indicated the plan looks to be to move Coke back to the middle

Now, it sounds like Cole Perfetti will get a shot to thrive in the centre position after being drafted as one out of the Ontario Hockey League in 2020.

“When we look at the evolution of franchises, look at the development of franchises, everyone can say play the young players but they have to have the opportunities in front of them,” Cheveldayoff said. “Those are things where sometimes you have to move players, sometimes you have to do things in order to offer those opportunities. Now, it will be up to a play like Cole to take them.”
Billeck rehashing old news and interviews he read and heard elsewhere, with his own biased slants. Seriously, how do these guys get paid for this stuff?

he's with the wings

Reactions: Mathil8

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I assume Geekie and Sprong weren't qualified over worries about what the arbitrator would award them. But Seattle has a ton of capspace and no one other than Dunn to re-sign so not sure why they'd let these guys walk. Maybe the are planning on going big game hunting for Duchene or even Scheifele.

There was also a report that they are looking for a center and have no plans to trade Saros so i am not sure what their intentions are. You'd think Saros single handedly ruins any tank dragging the team to 12-16 draft spot all by himself like last season.
They have Berniers and Wright at C, so I'm not sure Scheifele or Lindholm would be the answer. But getting O'Reilly on a shortish contract might be of interest to them.

I’d want their 2024 1st included.

How about their 2023 1st? :sarcasm:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If we're going for a guy like Compher and play him on the wing, why not grab Garland who produces more and only has 3 years and could be had for free? I mean Garland isn't the best 2 way guy by any means, but I still think I'd rather a free Garland for 3 years under 5 million opposed to a longer term and more money Compher.
Because Compher would play C not wing because in the real world, Perfetti is LW haha

I guess he went to the Scott Taylor School of Sports Journalism...:laugh:
Oh man I forgot about that

I’d only be interested in Jarry, Brossoit or Korpisalo on that list of UFA’s
There will be real competition for Korpisalo... Im assuming the Kings are making a hard push right now

Reactions: macmaroon

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Because Compher would play C not wing because in the real world, Perfetti is LW haha
Because he's smaller? Wingers are expected to streak down the sides with speed, there's higher risk of getting injured when you do that. Perfetti has shown that he's very responsible in the defensive zone, and letting him control the offensive zone will protect him from getting injured. He's terrible at faceoffs, but apart from that he could be a star at center.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I find that most of the time if a player is a C/W that basically means he played C growing up but is almost always a winger at the NHL level.

I want to hope Cole at C will work but feels more like necessary desperation :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Because he's smaller? Wingers are expected to streak down the sides with speed, there's higher risk of getting injured when you do that. Perfetti has shown that he's very responsible in the defensive zone, and letting him control the offensive zone will protect him from getting injured. He's terrible at faceoffs, but apart from that he could be a star at center.
I mean he hasn't exactly practiced or taken them regularly yet. Scheifele stunk at then at the same age. I'm sure he'll figure out how to be effective at them.

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It’s UFA day - the time of year when Chevy gets a backup goalie and press box fodder! I have a feeling we’re going to get Laurent Brossoit and call it a day.
Honestly he probably does the best with what he has. If players have the option to come here versus almost anywhere else they'll go anywhere else. That's just the reality of our situation and I don't think it's fair to blame Chevy.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I find that most of the time if a player is a C/W that basically means he played C growing up but is almost always a winger at the NHL level.

I want to hope Cole at C will work but feels more like necessary desperation :laugh:

I don't know about that they used him at C his whole first year in the AHL. He started there his second year as well before going to wing and then to the NHL. He played center last rookie tournament and some preseason. So to me it looks like it's always been the long term plan to see if he can do it at the NHL level.

None

Feb 22, 2012

The best players in junior tend to be put at center and then there's only so many center spots to go around in the NHL. A lot of it is right place and right time when an opportunity is available.
Fewer opportunities means that players will end up playing out of position and need to make the most of it which is why a lot of players end up converted to wings. It's really no different than Team Canada ending up with 9 centers on their Olympic roster.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I mean he hasn't exactly practiced or taken them regularly yet. Scheifele stunk at then at the same age. I'm sure he'll figure out how to be effective at them.
Of course, but he was also terrible on the Moose. Age correlates positively with face-off success and maybe he can get there, but I'm part of the group who thinks faceoffs are overvalued. Let him play center, lose faceoffs, and get better. Don't let him take defensive zone faceoffs if you're concerned about it. His value as a center will surpass his face-off prowess.

Reactions: None and 10Ducky10

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Of course, but he was also terrible on the Moose. Age correlates positively with face-off success and maybe he can get there, but I'm part of the group who thinks faceoffs are overvalued. Let him play center, lose faceoffs, and get better. Don't let him take defensive zone faceoffs if you're concerned about it. His value as a center will surpass his face-off prowess.
I honestly feel face offs are all about how much you can cheat, and refs give more leeway to established players, which is why rookie faceoff numbers trend lower haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad