Tradable Flyers at the deadline

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I don't know why everyone is so quick to offer Briere for trade, it's ridiculous.
Because he has a 6.5 cap hit, is getting old, and realistically we are not winning the cup this year. he should have some value, and we don't have much else to trade...in a deep draft.

Nobody says (or should say) that he cant still score or provide offense.

Clown Baby*

I don't know why everyone is so quick to offer Briere for trade, it's ridiculous. The guy was injured and missed the short training camp. I'd trade Wayne Simmonds, he doesn't belong on the first line and I believe he was the reason the PP was in a slump. I don't think it's a coincidence the PP went 3/3 last night with him missing. I thought Tye McGinn did a fantastic job in his spot and I would keep him there when Simmonds returns. Don't get me wrong I think Simmonds works harder than almost everyone else on the ice.
Again. Terrible logic at work. Simmonds doesn't belong on the first line, so he immediately becomes expendable when it's overlooked how well he does everything else.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
Can't a team that's trading a player absorb some of the salary tho to facilitate a trade? Did that get in the new CBA?

I think it is only salary, but not cap hit... so in this instance it doesn't help WAS very much.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Hockey Tracker ‏@Hockey_tracker
Ottawa Sun reports #Flyers Paul Holmbren and #Caps George McPhee have been working the phones desperately trying to keep their jobs.
Fixed.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I'd be suprised if Homer isn't at least asking the price for OV.

Imagine the media-hype of a Giroux-OV and Crosby-Malkin match-up. Unreal.

But in all seriousness, a swap of Rusland Fedotenko and Jason Chimera would make me happy. Both have the exact same cap hit and Chimera is a big winger with a ton of speed. He'd probably flourish in Laviolettes system.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I think they are too. I was going to say maybe he could have a resurgence here...then looked at his cap hit and almost crapped myself. $9.5M???? Good God.

9.5M that is a ton of money, I mean what would the Caps want from us Couts, B.Schenn, Laughton plus? On one hand it's Ovie, and I could imagine him playing with G wow, but that's going to cost the Flyers a lot

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Not Homer's fault the team is beat up.

Well, yeah, but I think he and everyone else knew the team was a bit flawed from the outset, hence the Weber offer sheet. We need the top D and have since the Pronger situation became more clear.

I'm not necessarily faulting Holmgren for all of it, but let's not kid ourselves that an institutional inability to develop a single reasonable high end defensive talent over the last decade (when Holmgren was a scout) HAS to be at least partially Holmgren's responsibility.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Well, yeah, but I think he and everyone else knew the team was a bit flawed from the outset, hence the Weber offer sheet. We need the top D and have since the Pronger situation became more clear.

I'm not necessarily faulting Holmgren for all of it, but let's not kid ourselves that an institutional inability to develop a single reasonable high end defensive talent over the last decade (when Holmgren was a scout) HAS to be at least partially Holmgren's responsibility.

Why do we all think the Flyers haven't developed a great D-man in the last decade? Why can't we!?

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Why do we all think the Flyers haven't developed a great D-man in the last decade? Why can't we!?

I do think that we haven't developed one, I know that we haven't.... Heck, even the guys we drafted and traded to other teams haven't really blossomed into the top pairing defensemen that you want.

Why can't we? I don't know. It's hard to argue with our developmental track record for forwards, but it's pretty easy to see based on the results that we just haven't done it with defensemen. Basically, we rarely use early picks on defense regardless of the need. We trade those that we do draft away long before they reach their peak (and frankly we miss on those picks anyhow). We also probably don't put the organizational value on defensemen that many other teams do.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Well I think Homer has had little opportunity to work with raw talent to make a #1 D-Man.

To me, I don't care if we ever develop a #1. We traded for Luke Schenn to be a stud. I don't care if we drafted him or not, but if he grows into a #1 or #2, job done by Homer IMO. Our D right now has good personnel, and they're young. Why panic?

And the team is flawed, but not greatly.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I do think that we haven't developed one, I know that we haven't.... Heck, even the guys we drafted and traded to other teams haven't really blossomed into the top pairing defensemen that you want.

Why can't we? I don't know. It's hard to argue with our developmental track record for forwards, but it's pretty easy to see based on the results that we just haven't done it with defensemen. Basically, we rarely use early picks on defense regardless of the need. We trade those that we do draft away long before they reach their peak (and frankly we miss on those picks anyhow). We also probably don't put the organizational value on defensemen that many other teams do.

I wasn't asking why people think we haven't, I also know we haven't. I was asking what people think are reasons leading to this.

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
No to OV. We would be reversing all that we did in the summer of 2011. Now Carlson on the other hand...

edit: I would actually bet that Mike Green is the target for Homer. Not interested either.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't see why everyone thinks we are working on a deal with Washington here? It looks like he said they both are working the phones, but not with each other. Sam Carchidi tweeted earlier that a source said it was slim chance they make a deal before Hartnell comes back.

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/299201687577575424

SOURCE: Only a slim chance #Flyers make a deal before Hartnell returns.
As usual we have conflicting reports between our media and national media.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Ovechkin costs 9.5M, acquiring him would hurt us. Paying to get him would kill us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad