Tradable Flyers at the deadline

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Thanks, I was going to post pretty much exactly the same thing.

And what does "Ryan" mean for Voracek? An actor playing Ryan? A life-sized action figure?

alg-rex-ryan-news-conference-jpg.jpg

I think this is what he means. Lavy's replacement.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If the tests come back today that Simmer has a concussion, we could be in real trouble. I would hope that Homer doesn't do what we all fear and over pay for a forward. This team is struggling mightily, we might need to sit back and see what we have as a team.

I agree Kimmo and Briere would fetch a nice return at the deadline, especially Kimmo. Now Talbot is a good character guy to keep around for the youth of this team, just like Hartnell. Simmer stays and so does the youth(Couts, Schenn, Schenn, and Read) The only youthful player I would make a deal(if it was the right one) is Voracek. I still like Voracek's potential though. He could be a 60 point 2nd liner in this league, so we might want to hold onto him.

Knuble will get you futures....... if you're lucky. Feds might be one of those character guys people are looking for at the deadline(has won 2 cups IIRC). He might be able to fetch you a 3rd rounder, and maybe if you're lucky a 2nd. Some teams value leadership and experience around the deadline.

Coburn is staying, Grossmannnnnn is staying, Luke is staying. Mayer Gervais could be swung for something, but again it would be minor. Foster is a waste lol. Mez, if we think we will not be able to resign him in the future, might be able to fetch a first from a desperate team at the deadline. He just has to prove he is healthy, which might be hard.

Summary:
Kimmo=largest return (1st rounder, top prospect, 3/4 rounder)
Briere=Good return (1st rounder, maybe top prospect)
Feds=okay return (3rd rounder, maybe a 2nd rounder for a desperate team)
Knuble=scrub
Mez=wildcard( could fetch something good if a team is desperate and he proves he is healthy)
Gervais=maybe(maybe a middle pick...)

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Not many players I'd really trade on this team. We're still too young, need to be patient and give players time to develop, we all know Homer and Snider won't see it that way and do many panic trades.

Timonen and Briere are the only two I'd really trade at this point and expect a decent return with. No way I'd move Talbot as some people have suggested. He's a dynamite player at a cheap cap hit.

Last edited:

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
If the tests come back today that Simmer has a concussion, we could be in real trouble. I would hope that Homer doesn't do what we all fear and over pay for a forward. This team is struggling mightily, we might need to sit back and see what we have as a team.

I agree Kimmo and Briere would fetch a nice return at the deadline, especially Kimmo. Now Talbot is a good character guy to keep around for the youth of this team, just like Hartnell. Simmer stays and so does the youth(Couts, Schenn, Schenn, and Read) The only youthful player I would make a deal(if it was the right one) is Voracek. I still like Voracek's potential though. He could be a 60 point 2nd liner in this league, so we might want to hold onto him.

Knuble will get you futures....... if you're lucky. Feds might be one of those character guys people are looking for at the deadline(has won 2 cups IIRC). He might be able to fetch you a 3rd rounder, and maybe if you're lucky a 2nd. Some teams value leadership and experience around the deadline.

Coburn is staying, Grossmannnnnn is staying, Luke is staying. Mayer Gervais could be swung for something, but again it would be minor. Foster is a waste lol. Mez, if we think we will not be able to resign him in the future, might be able to fetch a first from a desperate team at the deadline. He just has to prove he is healthy, which might be hard.

Summary:
Kimmo=largest return (1st rounder, top prospect, 3/4 rounder)
Briere=Good return (1st rounder, maybe top prospect)
Feds=okay return (3rd rounder, maybe a 2nd rounder for a desperate team)
Knuble=scrub
Mez=wildcard( could fetch something good if a team is desperate and he proves he is healthy)
Gervais=maybe(maybe a middle pick...)

I don't believe Kimo will return that much. He would very likely be a rental and he really has shown his age. Combine that with a crueling tight schedule I don't see him returning a 1st round draft pick and certainly not a top prospect. At this point a contending team would look at him as a third-pairing guy who can play up the line-up if need be, but not as a pivotal guy.
Same could be said about Briere.
Feds won't net more than a 4th.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
id want to get a top tier prospect for timonen. briere i wouldnt trade unless its an overwhelming offer. if this year does go to the dogs you want to retain at least some veteran leadership to help these guys along and briere has shown a willingness to do that before.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
id want to get a top tier prospect for timonen. briere i wouldnt trade unless its an overwhelming offer. if this year does go to the dogs you want to retain at least some veteran leadership to help these guys along and briere has shown a willingness to do that before.

This is why I keep Briere. Plus I think his offense is still helpful.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I don't believe Kimo will return that much. He would very likely be a rental and he really has shown his age. Combine that with a crueling tight schedule I don't see him returning a 1st round draft pick and certainly not a top prospect. At this point a contending team would look at him as a third-pairing guy who can play up the line-up if need be, but not as a pivotal guy.

I think a team like San jose would give up a first, should they want or need Kimmo (I don't know the state of their defense at the moment).

Their first round pick will be low, so it won't be too much value for them, and that is a team that needs to win now. They are aging and need to take a shot while they can.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Briere has more of an excuse than some other guys. He didn't even get the short training camp.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Briere has more of an excuse than some other guys. He didn't even get the short training camp.

He's a veteran who is supposedly a premier scorer. Yet he's got one assist and still sucks as much balls as he always has defensively.

Couturier isn't playing great but he's far more useful than Briere.

Briere sure doesn't score much for a premier scoring forward making 6.5 against the cap

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's a veteran who is supposedly a premier scorer. Yet he's got one assist and still sucks as much balls as he always has defensively.

Briere sure doesn't score much for a premier scoring forward making 6.5 against the cap

Yeah, but he was the one who came back from injury during the season. No one is convinced that he is 100% yet. If any one person gets a pass so far, it's him.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
you are crazy. Timonen can postionally play with anybody still. He blocks a ton of shots. Hes lost a step with speed, sure. Hes also as good as it gets as a qb on the pp.

Hes extremely valuable for a run.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

briere scores in the postseason, you cant dispute that.

Clown Baby*

Under almost no circumstances would I trade Coburn.

He's great every year in the playoffs.

Tradable for me would be Timonen, Briere, Fedotenko, and Knuble.

Doubt we get much for the last 2
Yep.

There are certain players on this team that have some glaring warts. For Timonen, Briere, Fedotenko, and Knuble, it's their age, and impeding UFA status. For Meszaros, and Bourdon, it's their injury history. These are the only players I'd turn to for compensation in the trade market. Everyone else fills a hole. Except for guys like Lilja, Walker, Shelley, and Leighton who really have no business playing in this league.

if read is putting up good numbers by the time the deadline is near he will be very attractive. cheap, productive. and has one more year at that price tag. He could haul in quite a bit.
If you think you can improve your team by a significant gap, then and only then should you willingly move a player. If said player request a trade because their heart isn't in it (Lindros), if it looks like the player isn't going to be able to re-signed or shouldn't be re-signed for any number of reasons (Gagne, Umberger, etc.) or the player's attitude is complete **** and toxic for the team to be around (York, Calder), then the GM's hand is forced into making a move. I'm far more inclined to make a move for a pick under the latter categories because a wild-card return is more than nothing, which is what you would otherwise have.

Read is incredibly value to this team because he's relatively young, affordable, and he plays a well-rounded game consistently. Until it comes time to re-sign him, and Holmgren is faced with an impossible situation, you have to keep him. Even then, the Flyers may be better served marketing a comparable player expected to fill a comparable role (Jake). If neither of those are in the cards, you call up Nashville, and see what Poille still thinks of his fourteen million dollar man.

I like the core of this team as is. We've got our number three and four defenders a plenty in Mez, Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann who are physical well-rounded guys that are hard to play against. (And if you think Schenn or Grossmann aren't, take a second and think back to Denis Gauthier, and his embarrassing puck skills.) We've got our captain, Giroux, along with some decent top-six wingers to accompany him (Hartnell, Read, and Voracek). We have some great checking-line talent in Simmonds, Schenn, McGinn, and Laughton. We have a stud two-way forward in the making in Couturier. There are a few reliable fourth-line forwards that aren't an embarrassment to hockey, namely Rinaldo, and Wellwood. We just need to find the top-flight defender(s) to replace Pronger and Timonen.

Clown Baby*

I was opening this kind of thread too.

Its very deep draft coming, why not do a push there?
We need defender and goalscorer too but with these pucks we are not get that this deadline.

How about this:

Briere - 1st
Voracek - "Ryan"
Fedotenko - 2-3 rounder
Talbot - 1-2 rounder
Timonen - 1st ( If going to play next year it is only rental)
Knuble - 2-3 rounder

If we could have like three first rounders aprox in 5-15 picks we could do some big choices for our future.
If the Ducks re-sign Getzlaf and Perry, we can probably pick up Ryan through free agency or a trade which doesn't require Anaheim to take on too much salary. The key is to see how this off-season plays out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He had weeks of hockey in Europe to help prepare.

And, as I said, he got hurt and missed Flyers training camp, after missing 3-4 weeks in Germany, and came back from the injury early.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island

Supposedly? He has 109pts in 108 playoff games. I think his contract is well deserved and more than fair. People that write the little guy off amaze me.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't understand why anyone would give up ANYTHING for Knuble when he was unsigned going into the year and even a few games in. If they wanted him, they just could have signed him. Clearly his door wasn't being beaten down.

ICAPNASTYI

Dec 14, 2011
South Jersey
I don't know why everyone is so quick to offer Briere for trade, it's ridiculous. The guy was injured and missed the short training camp. I'd trade Wayne Simmonds, he doesn't belong on the first line and I believe he was the reason the PP was in a slump. I don't think it's a coincidence the PP went 3/3 last night with him missing. I thought Tye McGinn did a fantastic job in his spot and I would keep him there when Simmonds returns. Don't get me wrong I think Simmonds works harder than almost everyone else on the ice.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I don't know why everyone is so quick to offer Briere for trade, it's ridiculous. The guy was injured and missed the short training camp. I'd trade Wayne Simmonds, he doesn't belong on the first line and I believe he was the reason the PP was in a slump. I don't think it's a coincidence the PP went 3/3 last night with him missing. I thought Tye McGinn did a fantastic job in his spot and I would keep him there when Simmonds returns. Don't get me wrong I think Simmonds works harder than almost everyone else on the ice.

Simmonds doesn't finish. He's great along the boards, tough on the puck but after that, there isn't much there other than a big kid with nice size. I agree, he did very little to stimulate the power play while he was there. But that may have more to do with the team as a whole being completely out of sync and predictable.

ICAPNASTYI

Dec 14, 2011
South Jersey
Simmonds doesn't finish. He's great along the boards, tough on the puck but after that, there isn't much there other than a big kid with nice size. I agree, he did very little to stimulate the power play while he was there. But that may have more to do with the team as a whole being completely out of sync and predictable.

EXACTLY. But I think Simmonds was a large contributor for being out of sync and predictable. 9 times out of 10 anybody can guess what he was going to do, either force an obvious pass, skate down the ice put the brakes on or spin around a couple times playing keep away just to turn the puck over anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad