Tournament Surpises

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Everest said:
This team/tournament has NOTHING to do with the World Cup,different players,different hockey,different country! So don't try and sneak a jab at the World Cup Champions...they were undefeated for a reason!
But...THIS Team Canada...has been defeated...and they have NOT improved over the past 3 weeks of playing/practicing...that suprises me!

Sneak a jab? Those were my observations and I'm sorry if they upset you in some way. However, that's how I saw it.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
nikki9 said:
Surprise??Canada losing today. I know the Swedes are good but come on!!!!

I think the number of goals Canada's allowed so far is a bigger surprise. As far as Sweden being good, I'm as guilty as anyone of not giving them their props. I thought, No Sundin, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Nasland, and a kid in goal, how good are they gonna be? Of course, turns out the kid is a hot young prospect and Alfredson and Zetterberg(to name a few) aren't exactly chopped liver...

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
octopi said:
I think the number of goals Canada's allowed so far is a bigger surprise. As far as Sweden being good, I'm as guilty as anyone of not giving them their props. I thought, No Sundin, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Nasland, and a kid in goal, how good are they gonna be? Of course, turns out the kid is a hot young prospect and Alfredson and Zetterberg(to name a few) aren't exactly chopped liver...

still Canada shoulda won easily. If there is one team in this tournament that Canada should have problem with it's Czech Republic.
Canadas defense is terrible atm.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Exisled said:
The goaltending has been horrid. We gave the Canada game away, giftwrapped by horrid goaltending. Now the tie (not as bad, but we needed better in net). If we go beack to DiPietro, it's his spot on the squad to lose.

The wingers look strong, though. Hope they go to a strong forecheck and take the burden off the goaltending (DiPietro got hammered with 25 shots giving up two soft goals, Conklin giving up the one soft to Jokinen on a more "pressing" shot total).

Our goaltending just has to be better than it has. Much better.

Horrid? I think you need to lose the hyperbole. Both Conklin and DiPietro have had their moments, both good and bad, but neither have been as bad as you're claiming.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
eddy said:
I'm being a bit of a Homer here but 2 overagers the Habs got in the last draft have been pretty pleasent surprises, Mark Streit of Switzerland is leading all defencmen in tournament scoring and Mikhail Grabovsky of Belarus is tied for 3rd in overall points and 2nd for goals scored.

Grabovsky is impressive. Far from beeing "A" prospect but he is a intresting pick. My bet is that he is a guy who will score a ton in the AHL and then have problems in the NHL but you never know. I like him more then Koltsov though!

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
Biggest suprise...Sweden

With the likes of Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund, Lidstrom missing, i thought they would along with Finland, be competing more against the likes of Switzerland, Denmark and Germany. Even in Sweden's press, they were joking that nobody could recognise the players....

But they look genuine contenders, esp after beating Canada 5-4. :handclap:

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Pepper said:
another proof how misleading statistics can be.

How did I guess this was coming :)? For dmen +/- ratio actually means something.

Saravo hasn't been on ice when opponents has scored (evenstrength that is), so IMO he has filled his role perfectly. While ie. Kukkonen was brought in to do the same job and he has failed in it (-1 for Lasse). Neither produces any offense, so why is Kukkonen better of the two, or more amazingly "a pleasant surprise" as someone stated in another thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad