Tournament Surpises

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
So far, Sweden has done way better than I thought, Finland has done somewhat better than I thought, and Russia has been a lot worse.
Also, Germany's apparently not doing so hot, either.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Color@do @v@l@nche said:
Switzerland is doing pretty well and Slovakia!

Doesn't Slovakia often do well? I thought they won a tournament or two a few years back? Unless you meant Slovenia, altho I don't think anything they've accomplished could be considered "doing well"

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Russia doing so poorly (so far..). The Russia I saw in the warm up games against Sweden the week before the championship was a great Russian team that defended well and had everything and more that you expect from a Russian team offensivly. Maybe they will get it together when the Quarter finals begin, if so then they are still a candidate for gold.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought from the beginning that Russia would do horribly. I also thought Sweden might do well. I also didn't think the US looked too bad. I'm surprised Slovakia isn't doing better than they are, though.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
I'm surprised that Finland suck as much as they do...I also thought Canada whould be way more rusty than they are.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Russia tying Switzerland is a surprise?

Russia finished 10th last year!

mackdogs*

wilka91 said:
Russia tying Switzerland is a surprise?
Yes.
wilka91 said:
Russia finished 10th last year!
Russia is a hockey powerhouse, where Switzerland isn't. Russia has big name players, Switzerland doesn't. I thought Ovechkin was supposed to be the second coming of christ? You may want to check the GDT to see the predictions being made before the game.

I'd say Switzerland has been the biggest 'surpise' thus far. Lotsa heart by their players. Too bad they're out.

edit: apparently the swiss are not out. this format is kinda confusing.

A Good Flying Bird*

mackdogs said:
Yes.

Russia is a hockey powerhouse, where Switzerland isn't. Russia has big name players, Switzerland doesn't. I thought Ovechkin was supposed to be the second coming of christ? You may want to check the GDT to see the predictions being made before the game.

I'd say Switzerland has been the biggest 'surpise' thus far. Lotsa heart by their players. Too bad they're out.

edit: apparently the swiss are not out. this format is kinda confusing.

Switzerland is getting better every year, it seems.
They were the fourth best of the teams at the U18 Four Nations in Ann Arbor this year.
But really, they weren't as far back as I thought they might be.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Nothing ever suprises me with Russia...bad or good...so much in fighting between coaches and certain players...yet still the 2nd most talented hockey mecca in the world next to Canada. The Russians need someone to step up...big time...I think Kovalchuk will rally the Russians.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
Surprises:

- Kazakhstan (I thought they would have no chance in the A group. Oh boy was I wrong...)

Disappointments:

- Germany
- Austria (Both of these teams are in danger to be relegated. WTF?)

What I expected:

- I expected Russia to play poorly against the "not so good" countries.
- I expected Sweden to play well even though they don't have so many stars in the team.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Sweden is a big surprise so far, I didn't really expect much from them considering all players who rejected to play this year. Denmark and Germany are both disappointments though, I expected more from both of them.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Petey21 said:
Sweden is a big surprise so far, I didn't really expect much from them considering all players who rejected to play this year. Denmark and Germany are both disappointments though, I expected more from both of them.

Sweden has accomplished two things so far: Jack and squat. Sure, they have scored some goals against Denmark and Finland, but they have still not done more than what should be expected.

If they reach the semi finals, then I will agree with you.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Pekka Saravo - not because of his performance but for the fact that he's actually given icetime. Huge, albeit negative, surprise for me.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I'm being a bit of a Homer here but 2 overagers the Habs got in the last draft have been pretty pleasent surprises, Mark Streit of Switzerland is leading all defencmen in tournament scoring and Mikhail Grabovsky of Belarus is tied for 3rd in overall points and 2nd for goals scored.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I know they haven't had great results on the board but Latvia really surprised me. They're a good skating, playmaking team. If these players are an indication of what's going on in Latvia, something tells me they're the next country to join the group of 7-8 great hockey nations.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
onice said:
I know they haven't had great results on the board but Latvia really surprised me. They're a good skating, playmaking team. If these players are an indication of what's going on in Latvia, something tells me they're the next country to join the group of 7-8 great hockey nations.

Latvians always show great skill and skating. It's depth, tactical prowess and size they lack.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
onice said:

Hockey is on it's way up in Latvia. However, I doubt they can crack the group of seven...this is a country with a population of circa 2,5 million people after all. I can see them gaining the 8th spot however, although Switzerland is moving up as well.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I am suprised the Mike Modano continues to struggle...he did finally score a goal yesterday...but for the most part,he is uninvolved and not getting near asdmuch time on the puck as his linemates...Knuble and Cole,both working hard...you'd think it would spark Modano...but suprisingly,Modano is just not a force. The Americans as a team came to this tourney with a "new look" and were supposed to be a fast,2 way team...but Mike York (who has played all year) is invisible and the great goaltending that they had last year...has been left behind. Conklin and Dipietro are "treading water" right now.
USA showed well versus Canada...but against the Finns there inept finishing manifested again...now they are 1-1-1 in this round and really look capable of "folding up" like they have done in the past...despite the "new guys" who were supposed to energize the team.
Park,Parrish and Weight are carrying them right now...and its a heavy load!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad