WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Really? I was waiting for someone to mention him and I'm surprised it came out in the positive comments. I find a lot of his decisions questionable at best, and thought he had a lot of problems with passes and control in the first few games.
I noticed him more in the last game for sure. I don't have his advanced stats in front of me, but his skill level is up there, pretty good vision in the O zone. So maybe he has turned a corner in the tournament after a slow start, I just noticed him in a good way that last game. Finland as a group play a pretty good defensive game and he's part of that.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
CZE- Goaltender Parik. Obviously an upset win against Russia. The CZE team played a hard heavy game and took a lot of top Russians out of the game. But at the end of the day Parik stopped everything. He's their "backup".. perhaps he should start from now on.

USA: Zegras and York look dangerous all the time.

Canada: Drysdale is pretty slick. Cozens is a great pick for Buffalo. Tamasino seems clutch too. Levi solid.

Russia: Whole team is sort of underperforming. 1st line totally shuts down against a physical team. Their checking line is good though. SAFONOV is a beast of a young man, if he can find a way to finish more plays he would be intriguing. I like Abramov when he has played.

Finland: Lundell and Niemela are standouts, I like HEINOLA - despite the lack of production, he has been dominant in ice time and controlling the play.
I disagree with Cozens

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I think Tomasino’s finishing skills have been outstanding and applaud him for making the most of his opportunities.

I’m not surprised that he’s been used in the somewhat sheltered way he has. He’s not shown much as a puck retriever or a defender, relative to most of the team.

Tourigny has him in a position to succeed, something that has been true for most players. That’s pretty hard to do on a team this deep. It will be interesting to see if Canada’s “roll 4 lines” approach wavers as the games get tough.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I understand the situation Rossi is in, but he really isn't generating much. I wasn't expecting a Stutzle performance, but I expect a few points and to at least look like the best player on his team.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Team Finland standouts
Topi Niemelä
Anton Lundell ( before the Canada game )
Kasper Simontaival.
Samuel Helenius
Kari Piiroinen

Team Finland disappointments
Roni Hirvonen ( fumbling puck and wasting scoring chances )
Roby Järventie ( why this clown has made on the team )

Reactions: shadow1

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
The 2022 eligible defenceman David Jiříček has been very impressive for the Czech Republic in my book. I've got to admit he's been outplaying Stanislav Svozil so far. Which makes sense because he's a more direct, physical, no-nonsense kind of player while Svozil needs a more offensive structure to really thrive. That said, I have no complaints about Jiříček's passing and puckhlandling either, he's indeed a very talented defenceman.
It’s shocking that he’s had very little recognition from Canadian announcers. He’s so active out there with his anticipation of plays and physicality. Beyond impressed. Pretty bold to say he’s been better than Svozil but none the less, these 2 kids have been the best looking Czech defenders I’ve seen for 15 years. Next year should be fun. I see them being dominant.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I disagree with Cozens

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Just off the top of my head...

Standouts:
Cozens, Zegras, Stuetzle, Peterka, Boldy, Amirov, Podkolzin, York, Byram, Heinola...

Disappointments:
Caufield, Raymond, Holtz, McMichael, Perfetti, Askarov...

Not that the "disappointments" have been horrible by any means--I think I just expected them to dominate and be major factors in every game.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's a short 4 game sample and I'm leaving out the obvious standouts but...

Standouts: Drysdale, Pelletier, Soderblom, Berard, Beniers, Niemela

Disappointments: Caufield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Raymond, Holtz, Byfield

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I think Tomasino’s finishing skills have been outstanding and applaud him for making the most of his opportunities.

I’m not surprised that he’s been used in the somewhat sheltered way he has. He’s not shown much as a puck retriever or a defender, relative to most of the team.

Tourigny has him in a position to succeed, something that has been true for most players. That’s pretty hard to do on a team this deep. It will be interesting to see if Canada’s “roll 4 lines” approach wavers as the games get tough.
He was doing everything in the Finland game and since Suzuki and Krebs aren't showing enough finish guys like Tomasino and Quinn should be the guys being set up.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
We’re spoiled every single time we get to witness Byram and Drysdale take the ice.

For two dmen who everyone said would absolutely dominate this tournament, they havent really done much of anything. A combined zero goals and 5 points thru the round robin isnt anything to write home about. Especially for a team that scored 33 goals. Their play has been fine, maybe I just expected more from the way they were hyped on here

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Everyone's list should have Faber on it.

Reactions: Statsy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln