WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far? (2021)

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure you've watched the USA team play to make a statement like that. After watching last night's game again it is very likely the US doesn't win the game without Beniers and Boldy - who led the US forwards in ice time.

Sure Kaliyev will understandably get the most attention for a brilliant shot on the game-winning goal. But it was Beniers taking the final face off with the game on the line. All three of the guys on his line had some tough puck luck or would have had more points.

Speaking of which, the posters on these boards who have criticized Caufield solely based on points have not watched his play.

This is backwards. His point totals aren't terrible he's got 5 points and 2 goals. It's his actual play that's been lackluster. Turns the puck over far too much and he's not involved in the play unless the puck is on his stick.

Reactions: hn777

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure you've watched the USA team play to make a statement like that. After watching last night's game again it is very likely the US doesn't win the game without Beniers and Boldy - who led the US forwards in ice time.

You have to remember that posters who represent a specific demographic among us hockey watching faithful view Team USA simply as a vehicle to ensure that Cole Caufield scores as many points as possible.

And in that vein, anyone who stands in the way of that objective is holding back the team.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

Sure Kaliyev will understandably get the most attention for a brilliant shot on the game-winning goal. But it was Beniers taking the final face off with the game on the line. All three of the guys on his line had some tough puck luck or would have had more points.

Speaking of which, the posters on these boards who have criticized Caufield solely based on points have not watched his play.

I watched almost all the U.S. games. I'm not saying Beniers is a bad player. He's fast, he's intense, responsible defensively and has a nice shot.

What I also think is that he's not a good playmaker, at least not right now. He doesn't see the ice well. If you compare him to Zegras it's night and day. Beniers is like Lars Eller right now.

About Kaliev, he's got a nice shot but that's really about it. Slow as hell and weak effort. His shots deadly though and he's had consistent ice time with good players so of course he's got good stats. I don't totally hate him though, offensively he's an asset. Not many have his shot. But Caufield would be better on that line.

Last edited:

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
You have to remember that posters who represent a specific demographic among us hockey watching faithful view Team USA simply as a vehicle to ensure that Cole Caufield scores as many points as possible.

And in that vein, anyone who stands in the way of that objective is holding back the team.

I may have been a bit too harsh on Beniers on my original message. If you want a fairer assesment read my latest message, just before this one. Not saying he's a bad player, but clearly him and Caufield can't work together. They have incompatible playstyle.

Is Beniers helping his team? Yes of course! Is Beniers helping Caufield? No, not at all. Are those mutually exclusive statement? No, both can be true.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I’m not anti-Beniers, but he was horrible during certain stretches last night. He was a big reason why we gave up the lead and nearly lost. The coach treated him like Fedorov, yet he kept being beat clean on FO’s, which lead to a lot of extended PP time for Finland that they were cashing in on. Beniers at this point is not the PK master the coach treats him as. 9:18 of TOI in the third was insane. Beniers is still draft eligible, so I wouldn’t make much of it. He’s a good prospect who should do even better next year, but Beniers was not good yesterday. He might look good because of his effort and skating, but his efficiency was completely lacking yesterday. He needs to be better, and he also needs to add more offensively than he has.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This. This right here. He single handedly killed my pool and looked bad doing it.

Tough tournament for the kid.

A little better in the Bronze medal game but it says more about his play before it.

Curious to see how he responds back in Finland and whether he figures in next year.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Byfield

Not strong possession wise. Was always chasing the puck.
Even the analytic guys who followed this tournament showed he didnt stand out.
Open net in the gold medal game twice and missed both.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Tough tournament for the kid.

A little better in the Bronze medal game but it says more about his play before it.

Curious to see how he responds back in Finland and whether he figures in next year.

It was a rough tournament. I still think he's a great prospect though. He's been very good in Liiga this year and has a pretty high ceiling. I think he'll be way better next year.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
The gap between prospect's stature and the role they are given on the team can be huge in these tournaments. So it's hard to criticize guys like Drysdale, and especially Byfield for not providing eye popping offensive contribution. Byfield has impressed me again with how well he moves for his size and his physical assertiveness is growing. Expected Newhook's skating to be his calling card, but instead I think Tomasino was Canada's most fleet footed forward.

On team US, aside from obviously Zegras, I think Boldy has reminded everyone again how good of a prospect he is, just smart play after smart play.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
About Kaliev, he's got a nice shot but that's really about it. Slow as hell and weak effort. His shots deadly though and he's had consistent ice time with good players so of course he's got good stats. I don't totally hate him though, offensively he's an asset. Not many have his shot. But Caufield would be better on that line.

That's how he plays. You watch and you think he is not that great, than you look at stats, and you realize it's mostly him. Mega underrated without the flashy style of hockey, aka Pavelski. He was always like that even when I would watch him as a kid. Always finds 6th gear in tough moments, when everyone already gives up. He skates slow, but mega efficient. You don't need to skate super fast if you know where to be on the ice.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As an aside, a check of Wikipedia reveals that Sweden has a population of about 10.5 million people; and Finland has a population of only 5.5 million.

The fact that these nations can churn out the outstanding hockey players they do; and year after year give nations like Russia, Canada and USA all they can handle, is a testament to the strength of their hockey programs. I mean there's more people in the GTA in Ontario than in the entire country of Finland.

And you look around the NHL at the number of star players from these two small nations...It really is impressive.

Reactions: FinPanda and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad