WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far? (2021)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Notice:
Lots of people unfortunately were getting confused with having multiple years in one Thread, So I decided to make one specifically for this years WJC.

I was getting a Staggering Amount of requests to have a Dedicated Thread for this year.

Happy 2021!
Cheers and Carry on

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
My Clear standouts have been Cozens - Absolutely Beast all around the ice, Work Ethic and a much better puck handler than I originally expected.
And Zegras - Who is a playmaking Wizard.

Disappointment's - It's tricky, I expected a bit more from Caufield for sure, But honestly Raymond is the guy I expected to have a really good tournament.

Either or, It's been a fun tournament.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Impressed - Zegras, Cozens, Niemela, Stutzle, Elias, Drysdale, Podkolzin and Wraneschitz

Disappointments - Caufield, Perfetti, Raymond, Parik, Broberg

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Impressed - Cozens, Zegras, Stutzle, Peterka, Lambert, Podkolzin, Byram, Drysdale, Guhle, Niemala, Levi

Disappointments - Caufield, Soderstrom, Perfetti, Raymond
Raymond probably yes ( not as disappointing as Holtz though), but Söderström has been the best defenseman in the tournament for me. Suprised by that inclusion.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Raymond probably yes ( not as disappointing as Holtz though), but Söderström has been the best defenseman in the tournament for me. Suprised by that inclusion.

Not the last two games he hasn’t been at all for me. He’s been getting burned hard in the defensive zone and off the rush the last couple games.

I liked the entire play of Sweden’s D core in the first game against the Czechs, but against the Russians and Americans they looked bad. Soderstrom in particular defensively has been really bad the last two games.

He hasn’t been anywhere nearly as consistent as Byram and Drysdale have been.

Reactions: OscarsCards

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not the last two games he hasn’t been at all for me. He’s been getting burned hard in the defensive zone and off the rush the last couple games.

I liked the entire play of Sweden’s D core in the first game against the Czechs, but against the Russians and Americans they looked bad. Soderstrom in particular defensively has been really bad the last two games.

He hasn’t been anywhere nearly as consistent as Byram and Drysdale have been.

Byram and Drysdale haven't really faced any tough tests though. Söderström completely controlled the game against the Czechs and I thought he was very good for most of the Russia game as well, very creative and good in transition. Sadly, Broberg has been a bigger let down on defence even though he started extremely well, he is clearly playing injured now. Of our hyped up top 4 defencemen, Björnfot and Söderström have been good, Johansson and Broberg not as much relative to expectations.

Reactions: smitty10

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Curious about the undrafted players...

1.What ones were you surprised and they below in top 20 for 21 but weren’t on lists

2 of these who were draft eligible in 19 or 20 and weren’t drafted...who should get signed?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
2 of these who were draft eligible in 19 or 20 and weren’t drafted...who should get signed?

Florian Elias comes to mind. You'd think he'll get taken in the later rounds next year, like Baumgartner did after putting on a show at last year's WJC.

To a lesser degree same with Martin Lang and Ilya Safonov.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My all tournament team is probably:

Stud--Zegras- Peterka
York --Heinola
Askarov

I've been impressed with Askarov more than most as the goals against him have been largely unstoppable and Ruskies give up lots of prime chances (eyeball, not stats).

York was brutal vs the Russians, he's been very up and down. But I'm not sure if there have been many better D in this tournament, there haven't been any revelatory performances from D like we have had in some years.

I'll go

Stutzle - Zegras - Peterka
Faber - Heinola
Levi

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I’m impressed with many players in this tournament & really enjoy getting to watch players from overseas.

A fellow who came out of nowhere for me is Sweden’s Arvid Costmar. I honestly didn’t even realize he was a 2019 7th Rd Pick for Vancouver until someone else brought it up in the Russian game.

The fellows who are playing even better than I expected are Stutzle & Zegras - 2 monsters.

After starting off so strong, I think Caufield is struggling with confidence now. Hopefully he’ll bounce back next game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
York was brutal vs the Russians, he's been very up and down. But I'm not sure if there have been many better D in this tournament, there haven't been any revelatory performances from D like we have had in some years.

I'll go

Stutzle - Zegras - Peterka
Faber - Heinola
Levi

There is no way Cozens isn’t on the All Star team and likely Drysdale as well at the minimum

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Impressed - Zegras, Cozens, Niemela, Stutzle, Elias, Drysdale, Podkolzin and Wraneschitz

Disappointments - Caufield, Perfetti, Raymond, Parik, Broberg
I don't think calling Broberg a disappointment is fair considering he's been playing injured since the end of the first game. His skating and puck rushing ability is what makes him stand out and his ankle injury has taken that from him.

Oct 18, 2011
Caufield number 1 disappointment. He has talent but I am sick of him stickhandling at the blueline turning pucks over, he is going to cost USA at some point if he doesn't knock that shit off

Reactions: snipes and smitty10
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wings fan here. A little disappointed by Raymond. He's such a skilled player, but he should be good enough to get something done, and he just hasn't. It just seems like he and Holtz don't have the chemistry anymore. I wish Sweden would split them up.

Reactions: lilidk

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Stutzle and Zegras. Also soderblom has looked really good for a 6th round pick too. He moves well for a big man!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Stutzle, Zegras and Cozens look amazing

I’ve been impressed with Peterka, Drysdale, Elias, Niemela, Levi, Soderblom, Costmar, Amirov, Podklozin

A little disappointed/underwhelmed by Askarov, Raymond, Caufield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad