WJC: Tournament popularity outside Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeptalker*

Well, well, well.

Me myself and I and about 400 other Finland football supporters travelled to San Marino (!) to watch Finland a couple a years ago.

And Finland were then even out of the qualification race at the time!

Believe me or not: SMJK - Finland football supporters - are a diehard bunch.
They follow Finland through thick an thin!

They even have a strict dresscode:

No funny hats, facepantings, or claps or other ***** like that.
Only Finlands nationalteam shirt on or casual clothes on - otherwise you're not in.

Fine with me.

Football is on the rise in Finland - but I love hockey too!

https://www.google.se/search?q=pohj...&ei=7MGtVMOUJanfywPAkYCAAw&ved=0CB8QsAQ&dpr=1

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Well, well, well.

Me myself and I and about 400 other Finland football supporters travelled to San Marino (!) to watch Finland a couple a years ago.

Only Finlands nationalteam shirt on or casual clothes on - otherwise you're not in.

Fine with me.

https://www.google.se/search?q=pohj...&ei=7MGtVMOUJanfywPAkYCAAw&ved=0CB8QsAQ&dpr=1

Do you join the chants of "Kendo vittuun Suomesta"?

Sleeptalker*

No.

What the heck - I luve 'ockey too! (but don't tell SMJK that!)

Sleeptalker*

... a funny thing about San Marino.

They (back in San Marino) didn't know the proper Finland national anthem so they took the Estonian instead! (actually the same tune as Finlands - but without words).

So the Finland fans SMJK did a sing a long at the end to put it straight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OZ6VabH0Q

Sleeptalker*

See, there's a very hostile attitude towards hockey among a majority of Finnish soccer fans. You could say that they persecute everyone who watches hockey.

No.

They don't hate hockey fans per se, coz that would be a very big joke in a small country like Finland that only holds about 5,5 million people or so.

Me thinx almost every football fan loves hockey too - and the other way around.

But that doesn't mean that they have to love their fans too ...

https://www.facebook.com/Suomifanit...0.1420679452./541192849288363/?type=3&theater

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleeptalker*

Well, well, well.

Fine with me.

If ya don't see the pics - push the blue search glass icon in the link!

gattaca

Jan 5, 2011
Mississauga
Sunday at 4 PM EST would have been most reasonable for all parities involved, not at 8 PM EST on Monday when it's well past midnight in all of Europe.

The final game has always been scheduled on a Sunday in IIHF tournaments. Why change it now?

When Canada has hosted it, especially in recent years, the final has been on Monday night Canada eastern time. This is basically a TSN decision, milk the ratings for the semis on the weekend and then the final. Even if final was on Sunday, game would be at 8pm ET. They don't care about parties in Euroland since rights fees are a token amount.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
IMO having the final at 4 EST on a Sunday would be alright. Most people are home on a Sunday and it's early enough so that people aren't tired from a work day.

Macman

May 15, 2004
IMO having the final at 4 EST on a Sunday would be alright. Most people are home on a Sunday and it's early enough so that people aren't tired from a work day.

The only problem is there is always NFL playoffs that time of year on Sundays and no football on Monday nights. It's all about maximizing ratings.

DyerMaker66*

See, there's a very hostile attitude towards hockey among a majority of Finnish soccer fans. You could say that they persecute everyone who watches hockey.

Don't worry, The US does the same thing.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The IIHF and Hockey Canada have virtually merged into one "Hockey Canada IIHF Live World Junior Championship from Canada." Its become an almost uniquely Canadian tournament whose sole purpose it is to entertain Canadian fans. Hockey fans from far-off places like Europe, and even as close as the United States are purposely left out. It almost always takes place in Canada, or in an American city on the Canadian border. Since 2005, the tournament has been held 7 out of 11 times in Canada or on the Canada-USA border, and the future schedule will make it take place in Canada even more often than before (I know it doesn't seem possible).

If you are American, and the tournament is held in the USA, don't think your host status will get you a seat to cheer on your American team. USA host cities always seem to be on the border (Grand Forks, ND in 2005 and Buffalo, NY in 2011), and the Canadian fans buy all the tickets up. Only the families of American players got in to see the USA play against Canada in Buffalo - all the other seats were bought up by Canadians. Its a festival, and a uniquely Canadian festival.

The reason the IIHF has made this cozy arrangement with Hockey Canada is that the Canadian market has made Rene Fasel and his ilk filthy-rich. Canada is pouring billions into the IIHF coffers in order to keep the tournament in Canada, where TSN and other Canadian media can drown in money from the 50% TV ratings that the tournament brings in. No other country can compete, so no other country will be allowed to host the tournament with more than token frequency. If it hasn't already happened, its just a matter of time before Hockey Canada will control all decisions about competition rules and organization, thus translating a massive advantage at the bank onto the ice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The IIHF and Hockey Canada have virtually merged into one "Hockey Canada IIHF Live World Junior Championship from Canada." Its become an almost uniquely Canadian tournament whose sole purpose it is to entertain Canadian fans. Hockey fans from far-off places like Europe, and even as close as the United States are purposely left out. It almost always takes place in Canada, or in an American city on the Canadian border. Since 2005, the tournament has been held 7 out of 11 times in Canada or on the Canada-USA border, and the future schedule will make it take place in Canada even more often than before (I know it doesn't seem possible).

If you are American, and the tournament is held in the USA, don't think your host status will get you a seat to cheer on your American team. USA host cities always seem to be on the border (Grand Forks, ND in 2005 and Buffalo, NY in 2011), and the Canadian fans buy all the tickets up. Only the families of American players got in to see the USA play against Canada in Buffalo - all the other seats were bought up by Canadians. Its a festival, and a uniquely Canadian festival.

The reason the IIHF has made this cozy arrangement with Hockey Canada is that the Canadian market has made Rene Fasel and his ilk filthy-rich. Canada is pouring billions into the IIHF coffers in order to keep the tournament in Canada, where TSN and other Canadian media can drown in money from the 50% TV ratings that the tournament brings in. No other country can compete, so no other country will be allowed to host the tournament with more than token frequency. If it hasn't already happened, its just a matter of time before Hockey Canada will control all decisions about competition rules and organization, thus translating a massive advantage at the bank onto the ice.

If Canada winning one out of the last six tournaments leads to conspiracy theories like this, I would love to see your thoughts after Canada won the tournament five consecutive times.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
If Canada winning one out of the last six tournaments leads to conspiracy theories like this, I would love to see your thoughts after Canada won the tournament five consecutive times.

Of the 7 out of 11 times since 2005 that the tournament has been played in Canada or on the Canadian border where it is convenient for Canadian fans to stream to the games, Canada has won 4 Gold Medals, 2 Silver Medals, and a Bronze. Those dominant statistics offer conclusive proof of what a massive advantage it is for Canada to host almost every tournament. The huge electrical jolt that the sky-high Canadian team got from 20,000 hysterical fans produced the frenzy that led to the first 2 Canadian goals, which supplied the margin of victory. Its just my opinion, but given how nail-bitingly close that game was, I have a hard time seeing Canada winning in an environment that was less overwhelming friendly. But they won't have to worry about not having an overwhelming advantage in the future - Rene Fasel is willing to supply it if HC keeps lining his pockets.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Of the 7 out of 11 times since 2005 that the tournament has been played in Canada or on the Canadian border where it is convenient for Canadian fans to stream to the games, Canada has won 4 Gold Medals, 2 Silver Medals, and a Bronze. Those dominant statistics offer conclusive proof of what a massive advantage it is for Canada to host almost every tournament. The huge electrical jolt that the sky-high Canadian team got from 20,000 hysterical fans produced the frenzy that led to the first 2 Canadian goals, which supplied the margin of victory. Its just my opinion, but given how nail-bitingly close that game was, I have a hard time seeing Canada winning in an environment that was less overwhelming friendly. But they won't have to worry about not having an overwhelming advantage in the future - Rene Fasel is willing to supply it if HC keeps lining his pockets.

But if you look closer you'll see that out of those 11 tournaments, the 4 that were in Europe, a less than friendly environment as you like to call it, Canada in fact won 2 gold medals there. So, again your argument fails...that's hardly news to anyone, but the excuses are always entertaining.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Talk about paranoid delusions. European and U.S. fans have just as much access to tickets, no matter where the tournament is played, as Canadian fans do. Buy more. Problem solved.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Since 1982...

Winning tournaments for Canada held in Canada: 5/10 (50%)

Winning tournaments for Canada held outside of Canada: 11/24 (46%)

Wow, it's almost like Canada performs very well regardless of where the tournament is held. I think you should look up the word "conclusive" if you want to use it properly in the future.

If it makes you sleep better to believe that Canada essentially only won because of being on home ice, that's fine. I shudder to think what the score would have been like in 2012 when it was Russia who got off to a hot start against Canada before Canada almost came back.... in Canada. Amazing how in that game, in front of another massive Canadian crowd, the roles were reversed... it's almost like hockey is a dynamic game and things are not exactly black and white. I also shudder to think what result you might have expected had Russia not had the home ice boost you believe in so fervently when the Olympics were played in Sochi. Something even worse than a quarterfinals exit I suppose.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Looks like the sensors are out again but I would like to point out that same people who complain about the WJC being hosted here never say a peep about the World Championships which are only ever played in Europe.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You should probably do your homework before posting something like this.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
But if you look closer you'll see that out of those 11 tournaments, the 4 that were in Europe, a less than friendly environment as you like to call it, Canada in fact won 2 gold medals there. So, again your argument fails...that's hardly news to anyone, but the excuses are always entertaining.

Those Canadian teams in 2007-8 were just demonstrably better than the European or American competition. As Brent Sutter observed, since 2008, competition has leveled between NA and Europe. Prior to this year, Canada finished out of the medals 2 years in a row when the tournament was held in Europe. One of those 4th place finishes was a best on best, since the NHL was on strike and all Canadian junior age players were available. But all of that escapes my point, which is that Canada's emerging ownership of the WJC makes the tournament irrelevant to other nations, which is what the subject of this thread focuses on.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But all of that escapes my point, which is that Canada's emerging ownership of the WJC makes the tournament irrelevant to other nations, which is what the subject of this thread focuses on.

And in doing so, you finally understand the North-American mentality when it comes to the WHC.

It's amazing that Canada has medaled at all.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Denmark's progress is getting a fair bit of coverage in main stream media which is definitely a new thing. And Team Denmark's games have been streamed live on one of the major Danish TV networks' website, which is a major leap forward in terms of coverage.

That may be, but the media that was streaming the Danish games did not mention the tournament with one single word after the elimination of Denmark.

The semi finals and the final wasn't mentioned at all on TV2 or any of their sub channels or websites. They couldn't even grasp the concept of mentioning the eventual World Champion.

In that way TV2 maneged to sent the signal:

"Oh by the way, this tournament that we tried to get you to watch late at night was won by a team that we didn't find it worth mentioning further. And we were beaten 0-8 by this team, but evenso, they were so wack, that we didn't even want to spent two minutes posting it on the website."

Hence the Danish audience must have been extremely confused as to why they were surposed to be interessted in watching the Danish team when the team that humiliated them wasn't even worth mentioning as world champions later on.

Typical stuff from TV2. They have no clue on hockey.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Since 1982...

Winning tournaments for Canada held in Canada: 5/10 (50%)

Winning tournaments for Canada held outside of Canada: 11/24 (46%)

Wow, it's almost like Canada performs very well regardless of where the tournament is held. I think you should look up the word "conclusive" if you want to use it properly in the future.

If it makes you sleep better to believe that Canada essentially only won because of being on home ice, that's fine. I shudder to think what the score would have been like in 2012 when it was Russia who got off to a hot start against Canada before Canada almost came back.... in Canada. Amazing how in that game, in front of another massive Canadian crowd, the roles were reversed... it's almost like hockey is a dynamic game and things are not exactly black and white. I also shudder to think what result you might have expected had Russia not had the home ice boost you believe in so fervently when the Olympics were played in Sochi. Something even worse than a quarterfinals exit I suppose.

After 1992, Russian hockey plummeted, and the other Europeans and the USA did not have hockey programs that could match the resources Canada throws into it. Now, things have changed, and the Europeans and Americans are much more competitive. So buying up the WJC and playing exclusively home games will bring a huge competitive advantage for Canada when other teams are leveling with them. Those raucous crowds supporting Canada have the effect of injecting adrenaline into the team and intimidating referees who make calls that go against Canada. Those are the issues that affect competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad