WJC: Tournament popularity outside Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

yideboit

Aug 5, 2010
I was wondering if people from nations outside Canada follow this tournament as closely as people in Canada do?

I literally can't think of one friend who won't be watching most games that Canada is in.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This tournament isn't followed by anyone outside of Canada minus some hardcore fans that we see on these boards.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well here in Finland, only true hockey watchers want to watch these games. Most of the people these games are only kids playing against kids.

But if you follow Finnish media, you found a lot of news. So I think a lot of people know there is tournament going, but they are not watching the games. Olympics, WC and WHC are a lot bigger tournaments for Finns.

It doesn't help that you need to pay to see these games in Finland. For the next years tournament there are no TV -contract yet.

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Denmark's progress is getting a fair bit of coverage in main stream media which is definitely a new thing. And Team Denmark's games have been streamed live on one of the major Danish TV networks' website, which is a major leap forward in terms of coverage.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
I was wondering if people from nations outside Canada follow this tournament as closely as people in Canada do?

I literally can't think of one friend who won't be watching most games that Canada is in.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Simple answer is no. Here in Slovakia people don't follow WJCH. Most people watch only highlights in news or articles in daily newspaper, but media coverage is also very small, like article or two if our team played that day. One article is about how we played, one article is interview with our coach or key player and that's it..

Main reason is time offset. Almost all games are played deeply at night our time.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden

yideboit

Aug 5, 2010
Simple answer is no. Here in Slovakia people don't follow WJCH. Most people watch only highlights in news or articles in daily newspaper, but media coverage is also very small, like article or two if our team played that day. One article is about how we played, one article is interview with our coach or key player and that's it..

Main reason is time offset. Almost all games are played deeply at night our time.

I'm not sure how common it is here but I know when the tournament is in Europe im up watching Canada live at all hours. But they also replay the games later at night local game.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Not true in the slightest. Weren't the Fins greeted by their PM last year?

Absolutely

220px-Conanswedensucks.jpg

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People don't give enough credit to the European countries. Last year for the Gold Medal Game, Sweden had an 8-hour pre-game show. 8. As in more than 7. We don't even get that for the Super Bowl in America.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Wonder if SVT will be showing the quarters, or just swedish matches

I believe they said that they will show "matches of interest". Some will possibly be shown depending on how Sweden advances.

People don't give enough credit to the European countries. Last year for the Gold Medal Game, Sweden had an 8-hour pre-game show. 8. As in more than 7. We don't even get that for the Super Bowl in America.

Well I'm no expert but super bowl isn't national teams? If not I can assure you regional teams don't get 8 hour pre-game shows here either:laugh:

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Trying to watch every Finland's game. Thank god i have holidays going on other wise 3am games would be too much :laugh:

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
The tournaments popularity is directly proportional to the amount of people exposed to the TSN hype machine

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

We did? Strange that I don't remember that, seems insane. Anyhow, just going by feels the WHJC is the biggest tournament outside of the Olympics in Sweden, everyone who is into hockey at my job talks about the games.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
It gets some media coverage in Finland but not nearly as much as the Olympics and WHC, which is a shame. From an entertainment standpoint it's the best international tournament in hockey.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
WJHC is pretty big in Sweden and it seem to keep growing. I'm not sure if it's as big as the men's world championship but it's not far off and the media hype and chatter around this tournament is much more lively and energetic than WHC which is just same old same old where the country just watches with one eye closed until the medal round start. 6 years ago Svt only broadcasted Sweden's games on the web and on a throwaway channel called Svt24. Today it's getting the prime time spot and big competitors like Tv3, the main channel in the Viasat group who get all the big sport events now air big match-ups not featuring Sweden as well as Sweden-Switzerland earlier today. It feels new, more fresh since we're not used to watch kids compete and the Canadian interest helps as well. WJHC is getting to be a staple of the holiday season, pretty much like how it is in Canada, but naturally with less hype. It's definitely a noticable event here. You gotta remember that this tournament are more often played in North America and many games are in the middle of the night, so getting the kind of ratings this tournament has gotten lately it pretty damn good.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
I'm not sure how common it is here but I know when the tournament is in Europe im up watching Canada live at all hours. But they also replay the games later at night local game.

As I wrote it before, media coverage is very poor. Only one slovak TV (STV) broadcast live games of Slovak national team, no "relive" broadcasting, no games of other teams..

If our team will advance to final stages of the tournament or if it is played in Europe, interest would be much higher.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Not true in the slightest. Weren't the Fins greeted by their PM last year?

I don't remember, but it might be true and it helps that the PM of Finland is the son of the European Scouting Deparments leader Goran Stubb.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
The popularity of the WJHC is probably a bit understated by my fellow swedes. The final last year was the thirteenth most watched sports event of the year. This is counting World Cup games and Olympics events. If it wasn't for the OG and the WC, the final would've been second on the list only behind Vasaloppet, which I guess could be seen as the swedish super bowl (kinda hilarious analogy, but nonetheless true).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad