Toughest Division In Hockey?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Check out the top of the Eastern Conference standings....

Buffalo
NJ
Pit
NYR

Three of the top 4 teams are from the Atlantic. Even the bottom feeders are only 10th and 11th in the East. Man, this season is going to be tough. Or at least it would be if I didn't have such a damn good team.

HFNHL Red Wings

ATM that is indeed the case. The Central had been the toughest for a few seasons now (I think one year 4 of 5 made the playoffs) but unless the Jackets start playing up to their capability it might only be 2 this year.

On a personal note it's getting frustrating knowing each season the best playoff spot I can even hope for is 4th with having to deal with the Blues in my division year after year :(

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
ATM that is indeed the case. The Central had been the toughest for a few seasons now (I think one year 4 of 5 made the playoffs) but unless the Jackets start playing up to their capability it might only be 2 this year.

On a personal note it's getting frustrating knowing each season the best playoff spot I can even hope for is 4th with having to deal with the Blues in my division year after year :(

And how's that top spot been working for me?:rant:

HFNHL Red Wings

And how's that top spot been working for me?:rant:

Well you should start throwing some games then :p:

Besides what are you doing chiming in, don't you have several e-mail accounts for player offers to be cleaning out :sarcasm:

HFNHL Red Wings

You're in that much of a rush to find out whether you signed some unrated free agent? :p:

Actually it does matter. There was/is another player I'm also interested in but since I only have one spot in the organization open I needed to know if the first player signed to fill that spot or not. I suspect a few teams have now sent offers more than 48 hours ago for the other player and as a result I've probably missed out if the first player I sent an offer to is not going to sign making me 0 for 2.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Actually it does matter. There was/is another player I'm also interested in but since I only have one spot in the organization open I needed to know if the first player signed to fill that spot or not. I suspect a few teams have now sent offers more than 48 hours ago for the other player and as a result I've probably missed out if the first player I sent an offer to is not going to sign making me 0 for 2.

Is his name on this list as part of the Non qualified players? And are his initials AV??

If so...lol then perhaps we can figure out which one of us sent the offer in first:D

HFNHL Red Wings

Is his name on this list as part of the Non qualified players? And are his initials AV??

If so...lol then perhaps we can figure out which one of us sent the offer in first:D

LMAO. Saturday night.

Figures that after waiting patiently for him to develop in my farm system for 3 or 4 years he finally makes it after I was forced to cut him to get under the lowered max org size :(

I had him on my watch list for a few weeks and when he scored again Saturday I made the offer though I knew I probably waited too long by that point.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
LMAO. Saturday night.

Figures that after waiting patiently for him in my farm system for 3 or 4 years he finally makes it after I was forced to cut him to get under the lowered max org size :(

Go Figure...lol. In your defense, Voros wasn't looking like much of anything and then was traded to the Wild and still wasn't putting up numbers in the A. I thought about signing him this offseason, but I too am close to the roster limit, and figured he wouldn't be worth it. He's looking good now, and appears to at least be a 4th liner with some grit and solid depth for next season.

BTW my offer was sent in November 23rd;)

I've actually got an offer in on another guy from quite a while ago (November 4), but I don't really expect anyone else to have sent in an offer for him since he's kind of under the radar, and is actually only signed to an AHL deal. But I liked him a lot in his OHL days and he's putting up great numbers in his rookie AHL season. So I decided to roll the dice. Hell like 5% of the guys I actually sign like this end up doing anything anyway!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Well, you could have made the 2nd offer conditional on whether the first comes in. Either way, Reggie isn't going to go through the littany of offers in real time, so the other answer is to stop signing so many fringe players and give your self some roster breathing room! :p:

Either way, Brock beat you to AV by a few weeks. Sorry Drew.

HFNHL Red Wings

Either way, Reggie isn't going to go through the littany of offers in real time...

Nobody expects real time but Brock has an unresponded to offer dated November 4th?! :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Nobody expects real time but Brock has an unresponded to offer dated November 4th?! :P

Let's face it, players who were signed as fringe UFA's were signed for the seasons to come, not to stare at on your opening night roster. All offers are dated and it is much easier to go through them en mas than one by one given the research required to review with each and every offer. Over the last month, reviewing offers for players teams actually need for this season has been the priority (despite the fact teams should have planned better).

And if you knew the number of bonafide offers coming in, let alone the number in the wrong format or with incomplete submission information, you'd cut Reggie a break for not reviewing.

Cranky? Nah...:rant:

HFNHL Red Wings

LMAO! Its hillarious reading it all and then going back to the title to check what the topic was SUPPOSED to be about! I love it! any chance for nick and drew to drop the gloves is just too tempting for the other to resist atm. Do I hear an instigator coming?

What can I say I get'em in where I can. Trust me Nick does the same, especially at the last GM meeting where he was baiting me right left and centre. I have witnesses ;)

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
What can I say I get'em in where I can. Trust me Nick does the same, especially at the last GM meeting where he was baiting me right left and centre. I have witnesses ;)

We should have a midseason GMs meeting in Jan. or Feb. to evaluate the season, settle division rivalries ( with verbal fighting majors ), and have fruitfull trade discussions over fine ales.

Not to stir anything up...but I've always said the East is far superior to the West. The Blues have had a cake-walk with the likes of the Wings, Ducks, and other sub-par western franchises...and yet they have failed every year to bring home the bacon. Those poor fans. At least my Bruins have an excuse - they sit in the mighty eastern conference where parity and performance are the name of the game.

The eastern conference is definitely the shining gem of this league.

GM Kruegs

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
We should have a midseason GMs meeting in Jan. or Feb. to evaluate the season, settle division rivalries ( with verbal fighting majors ), and have fruitfull trade discussions over fine ales.

Not to stir anything up...but I've always said the East is far superior to the West. The Blues have had a cake-walk with the likes of the Wings, Ducks, and other sub-par western franchises...and yet they have failed every year to bring home the bacon. Those poor fans. At least my Bruins have an excuse - they sit in the mighty eastern conference where parity and performance are the name of the game.

GM Kruegs

:handclap:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

GM Kruegs

Oh boy, well, I've been baited once in this thread - not gonna happen a second time, especially by a non-playoff team. :D

Default101

I think the fact that they're in the same division makes it that much more intresting :)

Armchair_Critic

Jun 14, 2007
Yo Ed,

I find it amusing that other teams fans don't give respect to the South East Division teams. It is ridiculous. I find their games much more entertaining to watch. A lot of the other divisions are so boring that you already know the result of the game and the type of game they are going to play.

With the emergence of the Panthers finally, the South East looks like a 4 horse race. The Canes, Panthers, Lightning and the Capitals. Who will last the distance who knows. At the moment, the Capitals looks to be slowly dropping off the pace. Come the end of the season it will be a race in three I reckon. So far the series between the Canes, Panthers and Lightning have been quite even with the Lightning dominating the Canes just recently in a brutal affair. Lets not forget the Thrashers who can be more of a nuisance value in the division with these team with divisional and Stanley Cup aspirations

The test of a divison is to see when the division is decided. If it is decided early then it was an easy division. Which is why for many seasons the South East has been thought of as a weak division. However, to the divisions credit, they have produced stanley cup winners in Atlanta and Washington. Don't forget the playoff exploits of Tampa Bay. I wonder if their GM somehow gave them what Claude Lemieux have every time playoffs come around. Whether they are 8th or 6th, this team always seem to cause the first upset in the playoffs.

I find it interesting to see the mindset of the GM's and where they are at. Panthers are only looking to make the playoffs and win the division. The Canes and the Lightning are only waiting for the playoffs to come around as they have eyes for the Cup.

All I can say to the other teams outside of the South East, Be wary of them. There will be 3 teams making the playoffs within this division.

So we shall see what transpires...

Regards
An Educated South East Fan :teach:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Yo Ed,

I find it amusing that other teams fans don't give respect to the South East Division teams. It is ridiculous. I find their games much more entertaining to watch. A lot of the other divisions are so boring that you already know the result of the game and the type of game they are going to play.

With the emergence of the Panthers finally, the South East looks like a 4 horse race. The Canes, Panthers, Lightning and the Capitals. Who will last the distance who knows. At the moment, the Capitals looks to be slowly dropping off the pace. Come the end of the season it will be a race in three I reckon. So far the series between the Canes, Panthers and Lightning have been quite even with the Lightning dominating the Canes just recently in a brutal affair. Lets not forget the Thrashers who can be more of a nuisance value in the division with these team with divisional and Stanley Cup aspirations

The test of a divison is to see when the division is decided. If it is decided early then it was an easy division. Which is why for many seasons the South East has been thought of as a weak division. However, to the divisions credit, they have produced stanley cup winners in Atlanta and Washington. Don't forget the playoff exploits of Tampa Bay. I wonder if their GM somehow gave them what Claude Lemieux have every time playoffs come around. Whether they are 8th or 6th, this team always seem to cause the first upset in the playoffs.

I find it interesting to see the mindset of the GM's and where they are at. Panthers are only looking to make the playoffs and win the division. The Canes and the Lightning are only waiting for the playoffs to come around as they have eyes for the Cup.

All I can say to the other teams outside of the South East, Be wary of them. There will be 3 teams making the playoffs within this division.

So we shall see what transpires...

Regards
An Educated South East Fan :teach:

Good - no mention of my OT loss to the Hurricanes last night ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad