Tough Read... Johan Franzen really struggling

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Blashill is getting fired and it comes down between promoting Bylsma or bringing back Babcock, I'm 100% on the Babcock train. **** Bylsma!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Prashanth Iyer
@iyer_prashanth

This Babcock stuff is ridiculous. To recap: - Babcock verbally assaults Franzen - Wings veterans reportedly approach Holland asking for Babcock to be fired - Holland's response is to protect Babcock and tells players that they can request a trade if they don't like it

Holland clinging helplessly to the status quo? Yep, that checks out as being totally believable.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
That’s rough to hear. Franzen really should have been done 2 concussions prior. It sounds like the culture was suck it up and get out there. Disappointing to hear. Glad we have Stevie running the show now, hoping he has a better mindset for the players as he was one himself. Holland and Babcock are dinosaurs.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Holland clinging helplessly to the status quo? Yep, that checks out as being totally believable.
Holland is such a stupid f***, who would want to stick by a coach that had in the previous 4 years won a Stanley Cup, went to another Final, and won a round of each if the other 2 years?

I don't condone trying to f*** with people mentally or emotionally, but none of this is surprising. Hockey coaches are known as hard asses, Mike Babock is known as a hard ass hockey coach, I'm sure there's plenty of other stories of him yelling at players.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That’s rough to hear. Franzen really should have been done 2 concussions prior. It sounds like the culture was suck it up and get out there. Disappointing to hear. Glad we have Stevie running the show now, hoping he has a better mindset for the players as he was one himself. Holland and Babcock are dinosaurs.

Weird to hear Babcock called a "dinosaur."
When he came to Detroit, he was a rising young star.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Holland is such a stupid ****, who would want to stick by a coach that had in the previous 4 years won a Stanley Cup, went to another Final, and won a round of each if the other 2 years?

Should have fired him.
By then, this team was already on the downswing.
Babcock was alienating everyone and chasing players away, and preventing other players from coming her.

I wonder how much Babcock had to do with Suter saying no.
Suter and Chelios were great friends.

How does this team look in 12-13 and 13-14 and 14-15 if...
1) We haven't chased away Filppula and wasted money on Weiss.
2) Suter signs here.
3) We use Tatar/Nyquist on scoring lines instead of Babcock using Abdelkader and Helm.

Granted, we still hit a wall when Datsyuk declines..

But I bet we look a lot better for those 3 years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Should have fired him.
Clearly, didn't get past the first round once since his first season as Wings head coach, f***ing terrible coach get out of here. Huge downswing. Hindsight is amazing.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Holland is such a stupid ****, who would want to stick by a coach that had in the previous 4 years won a Stanley Cup, went to another Final, and won a round of each if the other 2 years?

I don't condone trying to **** with people mentally or emotionally, but none of this is surprising. Hockey coaches are known as hard asses, Mike Babock is known as a hard ass hockey coach, I'm sure there's plenty of other stories of him yelling at players.

Yeah, if we are going to out every coach that has yelled rude stuff at their players we'll be here for a long time. I don't think that's how a leader should be, but it's hardly surprising as you say.

Reactions: Ezekial

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

I don't condone trying to **** with people mentally or emotionally, but none of this is surprising. Hockey coaches are known as hard asses, Mike Babock is known as a hard ass hockey coach, I'm sure there's plenty of other stories of him yelling at players.

If it was known then the players hated him, and it was, and all evidence at the time supported the idea they had already begun to tune him out, then yes, Holland should have had the foresight and balls to move on from Mike Babcock.

The Penguins faced a similar situation in 2014 when they moved on from Danny Bylsma 5 years removed from a Stanley Cup with him, 1 years removed from a conference finals appearance, and just enduring a 2nd round exit. They were greatly rewarded for that aggressiveness.

It's easier to appease 18 skaters by canning a universally despised coach, than it is to replace 18 skaters.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Yeah, if we are going to out every coach that has yelled rude stuff at their players we'll be here for a long time. I don't think that's how a leader should be, but it's hardly surprising as you say.

If you haven't been paying attention, Babcock did a hell of a lot more than just yell at players.

Reactions: Fynn

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Should have fired him.
Babcock was alienating everyone and chasing players away, and preventing other players from coming her.

I wonder how much Babcock had to do with Suter saying no.
Suter and Chelios were great friends.

How does this team look in 12-13 and 13-14 and 14-15 if...
1) We haven't chased away Filppula and wasted money on Weiss.
2) Suter signs here.
3) We use Tatar/Nyquist on scoring lines instead of Babcock using Abdelkader and Helm.

Granted, we still hit a wall when Datsyuk declines..

But I bet we look a lot better for those 3 years.

Bill "N-word" Peters was an assistant coach those years too.
Birds of a feather....
Not difficult to see how there was "Swedish Mafia" mutiny in the locker-room. Don't think it was just the Swedes, though.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I said it in another thread but people like Babcock are very lucky they were born in the small portion of human history in which we live in a civilized society with laws and social norms. A coward hiding behind bureaucracy

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018

Prashanth Iyer
@iyer_prashanth

·
7m
Here’s a clearer summary: In 11-12: -Babcock “verbally assaults” Franzen -Wings players initially do nothing but discuss amongst themselves -Holland gives “good” speech on Babcock per Chelios but says players can request trade if they want.At an unknown time (but presumably some time in 2012-2013) vets approach Holland about firing Babcock and they are rebuffed. This is per Colaiacovo’s recent discussion on TSN.
Prashanth Iyer
@iyer_prashanth

·
6m
There are now two different player account of Babcock’s intimidatory stance with some players and as well as accounts of Holland being aware but neglecting to make a change, even when approached by veteran players

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Yikes. Would have liked to have seen some of the vets call Holland's shit.

What does Holland do after that speech is Lidstrom or Zetterberg ask for trades?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad