Tough Read... Johan Franzen really struggling

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yeah and i also think the big problem with concussions in hockey is that head contact is so difficult to predict compared to football where head contact is a part of the game, while in nhl a player can go seasons without serious head contact. It's a big grey area unfourtunatly, there are however times where i think these kind of issues are avoidable, especially in Franzén's case where even media were questioning his return.

I just hate seeing these things happen tbh.

I know you are referring to clearance, but in regards to policing the game and stopping concussion from even happening, that is also very avoidable in a lot of circumstances. Crap like what Gary Roberts did to Franzen, or what Weber did to Z, Benn did to Z etc. needs to be eliminated from the game all together. League need to have zero tolerance on cheap shots. I know concussions can be caused by impact to the body as well, but there is no reason why an NHL player should take an elbow or first to the head in 2018.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I know you are referring to clearance, but in regards to policing the game and stopping concussion from even happening, that is also very avoidable in a lot of circumstances. Crap like what Gary Roberts did to Franzen, or what Weber did to Z, Benn did to Z etc. needs to be eliminated from the game all together. League need to have zero tolerance on cheap shots. I know concussions can be caused by impact to the body as well, but there is no reason why an NHL player should take an elbow or first to the head in 2018.

Yeah i was thinking about this too, but this is also a very tricky subject honestly.

Harsher suspension is probably a obvious first step, i mean how on earth did a repeat offender like Marchand only get 5 games for his elbow on Johansson. I also believe that the league should fine teams as well as players to ensure that the teams themselves do their best to control their players, and to hold them accountable for icing guys like Gudas/Cooke etc etc etc.

But then again, these things are tricky.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I feel really bad for what Franzen and his family are going through, truly do! However, lets not place blame on the Wings or the League. They never forced him to play in the league before or after the injury and we don't even come close to knowing what intentions were from any side as far as recovery went. The Wings didn't force him with a gun to only get healthy enough to play and not worry about getting actually legit (non playable) healthy, that is ridiculous.

All these athletes know the risks of playing in a rough league, NHL, NFL, or whoever, if they don't want to risk getting hurt, they can do something else for a living, their choice. Them pretending they didn't know the risks or consequences is a blatant lie and absolutely ridiculous. You don't need to be a neurosurgeon to know that competitive physicality can lead to major injuries. It doesn't take away from their injuries, but blaming ignorance doesn't make someone else responsible.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I feel really bad for what Franzen and his family are going through, truly do! However, lets not place blame on the Wings or the League. They never forced him to play in the league before or after the injury and we don't even come close to knowing what intentions were from any side as far as recovery went. The Wings didn't force him with a gun to only get healthy enough to play and not worry about getting actually legit (non playable) healthy, that is ridiculous.

All these athletes know the risks of playing in a rough league, NHL, NFL, or whoever, if they don't want to risk getting hurt, they can do something else for a living, their choice. Them pretending they didn't know the risks or consequences is a blatant lie and absolutely ridiculous. You don't need to be a neurosurgeon to know that competitive physicality can lead to major injuries. It doesn't take away from their injuries, but blaming ignorance doesn't make someone else responsible.

I feel like this is the other extreme. While the league is not necessarily 100% responsible by any means, it is up to them to do what they can in order to protect their athletes. Yes, every athlete does take a risk, but there is no reason for the league not to hand out heavy discipline for cheap shots to minimize that risk.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The toughest part of the read is peeping in on Johan's wife's journal. Not sure why Kulfan would share this, may be it's me but her page seems like a place for her own friends and family? Just cause it's out there doesn't mean it has to be tweeted. If the Franzen's agree then do an official update on his rehabilitation and her struggles but IMO keep her blog to yourself.

Anyways there is hope in Johan traveling out of state and getting proactive about his treatment. It sounds like he could use some space and find new perspectives on life. I think the mountains and woods can facilitate deep healing. It's hard enough to keep your sanity even without an a injury, sometimes you just have to get away. Thankfully he has a supportive family allowing him to focus on his well-being. Wings fans know he deserves it.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The toughest part of the read is peeping in on Johan's wife's journal. Not sure why Kulfan would share this, may be it's me but her page seems like a place for her own friends and family? Just cause it's out there doesn't mean it has to be tweeted. If the Franzen's agree then do an official update on his rehabilitation and her struggles but IMO keep her blog to yourself.
I dunno, that was a pretty professionally produced blog. If you want something to be personal, don't put it on the internet.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I think that while it's the player's decision whether or not they are willing to take the risk, the organization and their staff of doctors are 100% obligated to deliver a clear image of what the ramifications of his decision are. "You don't need to be a neurosurgeon" is actually pretty wrong when you think about it. How was Franzen supposed to be aware of and fully understand a degenerative brain disorder caused by repetitive trauma to the head? Sounds like something a neurosurgeon (and only a neurosurgeon) would have spent an extensive amount of time researching and understanding in order to better inform athletes of the consequences of playing a sport like hockey or football.

I agree that there are obvious injuries that come with the territory and any potential athletes are aware of as they make their decision to play hockey, like essentially flying around with knives on your feet at a high rate of speed on a slick surface leaves open the possibility that you might get cut in a severe manner. The broken bones, ligament/muscle damage, and bumps and bruises are well known and understood risks. You know going in what those obvious risks are, but to say a player from Franzen's era was "pretending" that he didn't know that he might spend the rest of his life with migraines, memory loss, cognitive issues, emotional swings, battles with depression and all the other symptoms associated with CTE to be absolved of blame is extremely misguided.

Now we will never know the full extent of what Franzen was or wasn't made aware of by his doctors and the team's doctors; maybe he was given every last detail that was available and he still decided to pursue hockey. If that's the case, then we can simply appreciate everything he gave to the organization and pray that he finds a way to cope with his struggles. And if it is not the case, then we are right to pressure the NHL and whoever may be involved for not helping players make informed decisions, all while appreciating what Franzen gave to the organization and pray that he finds a way to cope with his struggles.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Anyways there is hope in Johan traveling out of state and getting proactive about his treatment. It sounds like he could use some space and find new perspectives on life. I think the mountains and woods can facilitate deep healing. It's hard enough to keep your sanity even without an a injury, sometimes you just have to get away. Thankfully he has a supportive family allowing him to focus on his well-being. Wings fans know he deserves it.
I'm kinda glad it's been shared. Hopefully it will help others I.E. Backes.

There are still far too many people that just don't care or understand to care about what can happen. A lot put blinders on and just think they'll have a short term issue or it will be an issue later in their life when their glory years are gone.

This is a 38 year old man who while his NHL career would've been winding down, still had a lot of good years to spend with his family and friends and that next chapter. Now he spends his days in a home with his wife not even with him

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I seriously doubt team doctors would put a player on the ice if they didn't believe they were healthy enough to play. These players aren't poor, and I doubt they would hesitate to get a second opinion or to lawyer up if they believed team doctors put them in harm's way. The liability in being dishonest about a diagnosis is just too high.

The seriousness of concussions/CTE/etc. has taken off over the past ten years, when Franzen began going through his issues it still wasn't uncommon to hear former players making comments that you get your bell rung, you just go back out and keep going. That sounds archaic now. But I think it touches on the real motivator for players to get back on the ice - peer pressure. The fear of letting your team mates down. I would bet the real push to get back on the ice comes from the players themselves, and lying their way through a medical exam to get clearance probably isn't as hard of a choice as it should be.

Pulling for Johan here. Guy was great for us.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm just happy they found a new place for treatment, and it seems to giving him progress. I'm sure it was very demoralizing before then, finding something that gives you hope can be huge in situations like this.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I remember when he came back he had such an uncanny hop in his step, he looked RealGud. Then a couple of games later he was gone again, without any apparent injury. That kind of transition just makes you think the worst.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He might have CTE which is a death sentence.

I'm not trying to downplay it but you make it sound like a terminal illness or one that inevitably results in death. My understanding is that it can't really be completely diagnosed until after death, and that most of the deaths that can be attributed to it are from the degeneration leading to them finally snapping. (A la Chris Benoit and a myriad of NFL players)

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I'm not trying to downplay it but you make it sound like a terminal illness or one that inevitably results in death. My understanding is that it can't really be completely diagnosed until after death, and that most of the deaths that can be attributed to it are from the degeneration leading to them finally snapping. (A la Chris Benoit and a myriad of NFL players)
No one wants to live with broken brain which i actually also do

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I definitely understand that. Just saying you made it sound like it's a condition he's going to inevitably die from soon.
It is a condition that is degeneretive. Might take many years though.

I got injuries on my CNS.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It is a condition that is degeneretive. Might take many years though.

I got injuries on my CNS.

I'd be interested to see what kind of stuff they've found can help with stem cell research. (If anything) I think that's a gold mine of medical advancement that we haven't really made a good enough effort to tap into yet.

You're probably not into wrestling but you might be interested in reading about Daniel Bryan. Guy was shut down for 3 years for concussions so bad that he was having random seizures. Believe he did a crap ton of rehab in a hyperbaric chamber and got cleared.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I'd be interested to see what kind of stuff they've found can help with stem cell research. (If anything) I think that's a gold mine of medical advancement that we haven't really made a good enough effort to tap into yet.

You're probably not into wrestling but you might be interested in reading about Daniel Bryan. Guy was shut down for 3 years for concussions so bad that he was having random seizures. Believe he did a crap ton of rehab in a hyperbaric chamber and got cleared.
Yeah i got my injuries through lyme disease though. So it is not the same.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Between concussion issues in hockey and football, I wonder how long until parents stop signing their kids up for contact sports.

It's one thing when a pro guy lies to the trainer to not have to sit out (or, like me, doesn't even remember the hit [or week surrounding it] to report it in the first place), but at some point parents aren't going to be willing to subject their kids to it anymore.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Between concussion issues in hockey and football, I wonder how long until parents stop signing their kids up for contact sports.

It's one thing when a pro guy lies to the trainer to not have to sit out (or, like me, doesn't even remember the hit [or week surrounding it] to report it in the first place), but at some point parents aren't going to be willing to subject their kids to it anymore.
I'd be curious what the numbers are for kids and concussions. How many kids that don't make it to the end junior level actually end up with serious issues due to concussions.

That and there are non contact leagues to play in.

With that being said I do believe a lot of parents have done that already. Some that I know will not allow their kids into football, some hockey/football/lacrosse/rugby, some will allow their kids into therse sports but don't push the sport on the kid and try push something else.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
This really sucks at a heartbreaking level. He caught a lot of crap with his on ice play sometimes but dude was a warrior for us in many seasons

Concussion syndrome is no joke and I can't imagine having that torture even after he's been off the ice for 3 years.

Sounds like his wife is highly supportive and has been there every step of the way, good for her.

Get well, Mule. I still remember being at the game where you scored 5 goals and it was epic.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One of my all-time favorite Red Wings. Heartbreaking stuff. I really hope this new place helps him. Pulling for him and his loved ones.

They gave him an off-season and immediately pulled him and told him no more after the symptoms reappeared two games into the season. I know we can play the what if, but I don't think anything sorted went on with the Wings medical team and Franzen. It was abandoned before the next big hit could happen, unfortunately it appears the damage was done. Also it sounds like every time he feels well enough to exercise he spirals a little. They are hopeful with the new place that they can make an impact there, but it sounds like most of his issues are onset by exercise, hopefully he makes progress there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad