Tough players who rarely fight

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Curios by who? I know he lost one to Jonathon but he certainly wasn't pummeled and I believe he fought less, only because players new they'd get a major thumping.

Danny Gare was a top fighter but was more noted for his goal scoring but he could go toe to toe with anyone.

Jonathan smoked Pierre Bouchard not Robinson.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't know, that Robinson fight was in a preseason game. I guess Dryden felt it had an impact, even though he even seems to think it wasn't "clear cut". There isn't a video on it, and to tell you the truth, it isn't as if Big Bird all of the sudden cooled his jets. It doesnt strike me as a "Thornton in 2003 against Lindros" fight where there was a transformation to his game

LeanBeef

Sep 4, 2012
Taylor Pyatt; stood his own and bloodied Ivanans, destroyed Chris Stewart...

Fights a lot like Lucic

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I am glad that Mike Fisher plays for the Preds! He is a good all around player.

Joe Thornton is very strong and he can hit the target with his fist.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Taylor Pyatt; stood his own and bloodied Ivanans, destroyed Chris Stewart...

Fights a lot like Lucic

I forgot all about Pyatt - very good choice. He's a big strong guy who knows how to chuck 'em, but he doesn't seem to fight unless he's mad.

He can drop the gloves with some tough folks and not completely embarrass himself.

Carbo N8

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
Curios by who? I know he lost one to Jonathon but he certainly wasn't pummeled and I believe he fought less, only because players new they'd get a major thumping..

Larry lost one to Dave Hutchinson of the Kings, but, I wouldn't say he got pummeled; it was basically a 1 punch knockdown. Larry stepped into a scrum to make peace & Hutchinson wasn't in the mood for talk. Maybe that;s the fight he referred to.

Are you thinking of Jonathan/Bouchard; I don't recall Robinson/Jonathan. but, I may have forgotten or missed it.

Sorry, didn't read the replies already posted.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Not sure we can qualify Richard Zednik as tough but he was a very good, technical fighter. For a guy of his size he did really well against tougher fighters like Hartnell and Drury.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I will list a few more:

Bryan Little: He was tough as nails when he was on the Barrie Colts.

Vladimir Malakhov: A big strong defenseman, rarely fought, but usually handled the players he fought.

Ruslan Fedotenko: He dropped Colby Armstrong in a fight. Handled himself well against Andre Deveaux.

Nathan Beaulieu: Very exciting fighter, handled himself well against Brennan Evans.

Brayden McNabb Good light-heavyweight with an impressive fight card.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Pierre Bouchard yes that was pretty devasting, but he Robinson also had a couple bouts one of which Jonathon I believe had the upper hand by a slim margin and the rematch turned out to be a draw.

I can only find documentation on Robinson and Jonathan fighting once, a 1-punch win for Larry in a largely nothing fight that didn't get majors

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=38830&Fight=69769#Fight69769

The Dave Hutchison loss is well known. Hutchison was one of the better fighters of his era, with a significant fight card: Snepts, Dennis Hextall, Magnuson, Tiger Williams (x3), Durbano, the Hound and the Wolfman, Plett, Holmgren, Secord, Playfair, Polonich, Nilan, Peplinski, Wensink, Gare, Jack Carlson, Kevin McClelland, Kluzak. Seriously underrated. No disgrace to Robinson for losing to a legitimate heavyweight.
Dryden worrying about his loss is so overblown. Robinson didn't need to fight a lot because Montreal had guys like Chartraw, Tremblay, Risebrough, Lupien, and Connor to do the heavy lifting. Still, Don Cherry always has said the worst thing you could do was get Robinson angry and "wake him up." Though he was more likely to drive a guy through the boards than drop the mitts.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
One player no one is talking about in terms of being a tough guy and could fight the odd time is Bob Gainey.I believe he fought around 12 -15 fights and he fought a couple of tough guys along the way

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Kevin Bieksa - you will get 2-4 scraps from him a year, but they are usually solid tilts. Always an entertaining fighter.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not sure if you're serious or not...

Mac is obviously a tough fighter, but this brings to mind Eric Godard.

There was a brief span there where Godard was a bit of a giant killer. Derek Boogaard was reeking havoc against the Flames for the Wild, so the Flames went out and got Godard who manhandled the Boogeyman pretty good. Enter MacIntyre who was being touted as the biggest tough guy in hockey, and Godard drops him. What a beauty. That was a good little run he had going there for a bit.

I think this was that first tilt with Boogaard;

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad