Tough players who rarely fight

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Players who rarely fight, but can handle themselves very well in a scrap. I will list some of my favorites.

Francois Beauchemin: Left-handed fighter that handle himself well against Paul Bissonnette. Beat Iginla easily when they fought during the playoffs.

Mike Fisher: A very solid middleweight fighter. He fought Joel Rechlicz to a draw.

Nicklas Grossmann: He only has three career fights. But, his fight card is very impressive with fights against Cody McCormick and George Parros. And, he did very well in all of his fights.

Last edited:

steezyjeeves

Apr 18, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Fisher was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. Very strong guy.

Joe Thornton/Jamie Benn will always be one of my favourite fights. Both guys are insanely talented, and showed here that they aren't slouches when it comes to fighting either.

James Wisniewski used to scrap every now and then, now it's rare to see him fight at all. Gets the win against Joe Vitale in the scrap below, and in the past has taken on guys like Tootoo, Moen, and Josh Gratton.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
James Wisniewski, Douglas Murray. Also, a homer pick: Rene Bourque. Check his fights against Hendricks, Schultz, Sloan, etc. He rarely drops them, but when he does, he can throw a few stiff ones.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I want to say Patrice Bergeron but he only fought 2 people. He did well against Gorges but not so well against Malkin.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Some names that come to mind, past and present.

Darryl Sittler was a great pound for pound fighter when he had to be. Mike Richards was a great fighter even in junior and never seems to lose when he drops them. Clark Gillies barely had to fight (for his standards) because the image of him dropping Dave Schultz in 1975 had shelf life. And of course, Chara.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Larry Robinson could fight but rarely did in 2nd half of career.He got pummeled in a 1978 fight and fought less after that

snizzbone*

Phil Kessel is 2 for 2 in career fights. Very tough but doesn't drop the mitts often.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Larry Robinson could fight but rarely did in 2nd half of career.He got pummeled in a 1978 fight and fought less after that

Curios by who? I know he lost one to Jonathon but he certainly wasn't pummeled and I believe he fought less, only because players new they'd get a major thumping.

Danny Gare was a top fighter but was more noted for his goal scoring but he could go toe to toe with anyone.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Ill educate you guys again.Larry Robinson got beaten up by Dave Hutchinson.I saw the fight when i was a kid.If you dont believe me read Drydens book.In in he says'Robinson always seemed like to superman to me but it faded with one punch'.Robinson was never quite the same.Fact is fact not myth

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Alex Kovalev was a good fighter. He fight only four time and owned Tucker HELL YEH and Zednik is capable to fight

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ill educate you guys again.Larry Robinson got beaten up by Dave Hutchinson.I saw the fight when i was a kid.If you dont believe me read Drydens book.In in he says'Robinson always seemed like to superman to me but it faded with one punch'.Robinson was never quite the same.Fact is fact not myth

There was never a documented time that Robinson fought Hutchison in 1978. He was with the Kings in 1977-'78 and the Leafs in 1978-'79. I scrolled the Habs games in both of those years and Robinson and Hutchison never fought. So are you thinking about a different year here?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Thank-you Big Phil The fight was in an exihibition game at mlg.The Toronto Star had a Picture and a story on it.It was also well wriiten in the game By Ken Dryden.Robonson was ko ed

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Thank-you Big Phil The fight was in an exihibition game at mlg.The Toronto Star had a Picture and a story on it.It was also well wriiten in the game By Ken Dryden.Robonson was ko ed

took it from DYG
From "The Game" by Ken Dryden:

"In our final pre-season game last fall (1978) , with only a few minutes to play, Dave Hutchison, a big goon-defenseman for the Leafs, began shoving with one of our players. Predictably, Robinson rushed over to confront him. As everyone watched, the two of them wrapped their hands on each other's sweaters and glared stiff-eyed, their faces inches apart; stalemated. Then, as things were cooling,Robinson began shoving Hutchison. Watching from the other end, I could see that Hutchison wanted to go no further, yet inexplicably Robinson persisted. Having already thought out the consequences a year or two earlier, I began to panic, muttering to myself for him to stop, telling him it wasnt worth it. Finally the fight started. It was over in a few seconds; the result, while not clear-cut, seemed decisive. Robinson, looking awkward and entirely mortal, emerged with a black eye."

(he continues, speculating on the possible damage that might be done to Robinson's immense and by this point, seldom tested reputation)

"Yet nothing happened. I was certain that word would spread through a league desperate for new ways to beat us, and we would find ourselves under attack for much of the season. But I was wrong."

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Curios by who? I know he lost one to Jonathon but he certainly wasn't pummeled and I believe he fought less, only because players new they'd get a major thumping.

Danny Gare was a top fighter but was more noted for his goal scoring but he could go toe to toe with anyone.

I think the Stan Jonathan pummeling you are referring to was against Pierre Bouchard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->